Your Personal Go-To Wet Ink

EbonitePen

If I wanted to use a gusher, which I don't, I would use my 2015 bottle of Omas Blue. The 2014 would be my second choice. Ordinarily, Aurora Black and Pilot Blue-Black are wet enough for any of my pens.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EbonitePen

• lgsoltek

• TSherbs

• Sandy1

Second on the Waterman. I have Florida Blue.

Also the Wancher Silk Road inks, imari Blue in particular, and last, but not least, that ex-lax for pens, Private Reserve Tanzanite.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Interesting that I don't find PR Tanzanite as wet as everyone is experiencing it. I have the old bottle though (the nicer decorated one), maybe it's been changed over time?

A bit of background to this question: I purchased my first Pilot recently - a Custom 74 with Music nib - and been very disappointed with the flow. The pen is dry and skippy. And so I tried some of my wetter inks in the pen, among which were two Iroshizukus as well as my trusty Parker Quink Permanent Blue which flows beautifully in all of my pens. Once this failed as well I knew the time has come for my Noodler's Ink Rome Burning, which nearly drips from any of my wetter nibs. I love the hue shift as the ink dries, I love the color, the fact that there is yet another hue shift upon contact with water and that the ink smells the way it does, not to mention the wetness. The one thing I don't love is the bleedthrough but what can you do, can't have it all. I have the usual wet inks such as few Iroshizuku inks, Aurora Black, Herbin's Perle Noire and several others, Monteverde ITF ink, Noodler's Eel inks, PR Tanzanite, etc. but nothing comes close to my bottle of Rome Burning. There may be some inconsistency in Noodler's batches so your RB may not be the same but my bottle is that wet and it is defintiely my go-to ink for drier writers.

And so it occurred to me, what are other people's go-to wettest inks? I am aware that there is a lot of threads discussing wet inks and dry inks and all the inks in between but really I am interested in your personal preferred choice of ink (one you do/did own) when you want to turn your pen into a "fire hose", or just want to deal with a dry writer. I am not interested in the usual general ideas about wet inks but specifically in your own personal ones that you actually use. This is just a fun question really - not a troubleshooting one - and I'm looking forward to hear about your experience.

I know you weren't asking troubleshooting, but how well has it been cleaned? The only inks my Pilots choke on are iron galls.

My ultra-wet is Noodler Black Eel, then Sheaffer Skrip. If a pen won't work with Skrip I know there's a problem.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

All the Herbin's I have tried are gushers in my experience- Rouille D'Ancre, Lie de The, Terre de Feu, Vert Empire.. They are reserved for my dry pens.

All the Herbin's I have tried are gushers in my experience- Rouille D'Ancre, Lie de The, Terre de Feu, Vert Empire.. They are reserved for my dry pens.

not lie de thé

not éclat de saphir

I find these inks quite dry

The Tekker custom inks are VERY wet...too wet for me, but you can get it in any color you can dream up.

• 2 weeks later...

The wettest ink that I own and use is De Atramentis Document Magenta. I add it other inks that are blah and dry and get the most amazing mixes.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

When I have a pen that appears to have a "problem", my problem solving ink is Waterman South Seas (aka Inspired Blue). If the pen still has problems, I usually try to adjust it, or send it out for repair.

Among many of the others mentioned, I also like L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Bleu Atlantique, Bleu Pacifique, or Omi Osun - all in the blue-green range. I would also include Callifolio Olivastre. They are not the most saturated inks (except Olivastre), but they flow very nicely.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

J Herbin Rose Cyclamen

Private Reserve Tanzanite

De Atramentis Standard inks and scented too (but not the perfume inks)

Levenger Amethyst

In order of preference if I am checking out any nibs / pens that are being difficult.

I know you weren't asking troubleshooting, but how well has it been cleaned? The only inks my Pilots choke on are iron galls.

My ultra-wet is Noodler Black Eel, then Sheaffer Skrip. If a pen won't work with Skrip I know there's a problem.

No problem. The pen was flushed with water and then repeatedly with Goulet pen flush. I ended up sending the pen back though. I was not happy.

Might as well keep with listing wet inks, even though the pen is gone... Both my Pilot pens write on the dry side. If they stuck the music nib on the same feed as my 74 with an F feed then it's no wonder you're having a bad time!

Inks I own that I consider wet:

• Waterman Intense Black
  • Noodler's Navy (at full strength extremely lubricating, and at 75% an easier flow with less lubricatoin)
  • Noodler's Blue-Black (diluted by 50%)
  • Our very own Noodler's FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown (the only bulletproof ink I find wet)

Vert Empire has always been a dry ink for me, too.

Edited by effika

Might as well keep with listing wet inks, even though the pen is gone... Both my Pilot pens write on the dry side. If they stuck the music nib on the same feed as my 74 with an F feed then it's no wonder you're having a bad time!

Inks I own that I consider wet:

• Waterman Intense Black
  • Noodler's Navy (at full strength extremely lubricating, and at 75% an easier flow with less lubricatoin)
  • Noodler's Blue-Black (diluted by 50%)
  • Our very own Noodler's FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown (the only bulletproof ink I find wet)

Vert Empire has always been a dry ink for me, too.

Please, by all means, do keep posting regardless!

As for the Galileo Manuscript I really wanted to get that ink but unfortunately the indicated shipping was unbearable.