Trim Ring, Celluloid Platinum 3776

WaskiSquirrel

A while back, I purchased a celluloid Platinum 3776 pictured here.

fpn_1469661076__kingyo_alone.jpg

The trouble is, the wide trim ring at the base of the cap is loose. I finally cleaned it up and put it in my case after getting way too much use out of it. Today, I pulled it out and the trim ring stayed. It is friction fit onto the pen right now, but very loose and easy to turn.

I'm nervous about using superglue, since it's a celluloid pen. Is there a glue I can use in a really tiny amount to hold the trim ring in place? It has to bond metal to celluloid.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pen2paper

• watch_art

• WaskiSquirrel

• sugna

Platinum Koi is a special pen.

I wouldn't glue it or shellac either since it should be under warranty*.

Have no experience with the company however. Hopefully someone will respond with that information.

* self repair could void the warranty. Plus, wondering if it's loose due to unusual shrinkage of the material? if so and a back channel known issue, again the the company is likely making this whole.

Edited by pen2paper

Yeah the celluloid does shrink on these. I've seen a relatively new example (the blue celluloid for example) where the cap didn't fit the barrel after a while.

Yeah the celluloid does shrink on these. I've seen a relatively new example (the blue celluloid for example) where the cap didn't fit the barrel after a while.

Helpful observation too I think.

This is not a vintage pen that requires understanding about aging issues.

If in typical use the celluloid develops an issue, (without environmental extremes like stored in a car during USA August temperature), then Platinum should honor the issue and make it whole.

Were it mine, I'd initiate contact with Platinum.

Let us know how this resolves for you.

Like many companies, I believe Platinum's policy is to let its retailers and distributors handle warranty issues. If you purchased it used, you are likely out of luck, as I understand the warranty only covers the original purchaser from an approved retailer.

I had the same issue with celluloid shrinkage (loose ring, just like yours, and a section that won't screw into the barrel) on a calico 3776 celluloid. I did contact Platinum in Japan, and received the following:

As you pointed out, Celluloid shrinks. It is a character of the material.

Could be fixed, however it is hard to judge without looking at your pen.

You may want to contact where you purchased your pen, so they can consult about repairing.

If you have any question, please let us know.

I just had a good experience using Captain Tolleys, which is a gap-filling liquid that works by capillary action, to tighten a loose threaded ring on a vintage pen:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/312016-sheaffer-vac-filler-threaded-metal-ring/

I am considering using the same stuff to tighten up the loose cap ring. This may be a horrible idea, it may be a good idea. At this stage, I don't really care. Either way, the section and barrel are almost impossible to screw closed, so I have little to lose by experimenting with the cap. Just food for thought!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Even so, rather than try a self fix first, I'd contact Platinum. The worst they can say is no. At best they take care of the issue.

I have lots of celluloid objects that were cured properly, stored properly, and look new at 70+ years.

The koi is special, and I love my lesser but still very special basic models. Guess I'm hoping to hear Platinum's positive stance on an otherwise stellar product.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm a really bad forum member!

I ended up doing nothing. I got advice from elsewhere that this model might adjust in size. Several here suggested that too, but this person said that his adjusted to the trim ring after a year.

This turns out to be the case. It now fits quite well. Thank you everyone for the advice.

I have gotten more advice: a little wood glue underneath the trim ring. Not a permanent fix, but it's transparent and not destructive. I am also told (though I haven't tried this) that epoxy will not react with celluloid.

I have several vintage pens now to try some fixes on due to their loose trim rings. So I'll try to come back to update my success or failure when I do it.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!