New Zealand Pass Around Ink Sample Library?

HarrietHippo

@ jmcollis. Wow you have made good progress. Impressive video of sampling to date - that’s how it is done properly! Good you found a few new favourites, I quite like Majestic Blue as well, and even better, it's cheap! Not sure finding you like Parker Penman Sapphire is a blessing or a curse :P

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry if the video was a bit jerky at times.

With the Diamine inks - I have to say I'm quite impressed in general with them. I already have a couple at home, and not only are they a good general purpose brand that is a lot cheaper to get than some of the other brands, they also perform brilliantly and reliably with no issues I've seen and of course they do have some really good looking colours.

As for Parker Penman Sapphire - It gives me the idea that I should pursue some of the other brands who have apparently copied it (or close to) deliberately since it went out of production. I believe for instance that Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue is supposed to be an attempt to copy it, also I think that some of the other Sapphire inks in other brands were trying to do the same.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HarrietHippo

• Cdub24

• Stitchpunk

• jmcollis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@jmcollis Wow, the shimmer on that Blue Pearl looks stunning. I'm not even a big fan of deeper blues, but that one and Asa-gao might just change my mind. Good to know that the Penco notebooks are FP-friendly, too! I went by Scorpio a couple days ago and picked up an interesting-looking notebook (O-Check) that came with a ruled/grid guide but the paper feathers horribly.

I noticed that Inkt is now stocking the B5 size of the Apica notebooks, too, for a wee bit cheaper than Scorpio, but then shipping cost probably evens it out a bit.

@HarrietHippo Thank you for looping me in. :) Now that I've seen John's video I can see there'll be plenty to get into.

John you're certainly not letting the grass grow under your feet, cracking into those samples, they look good. Parker Penman is pretty cool and its a balancing act around using it and not wanting to use it, if that makes sense because I don't think I'll get another bottle, it was a fluke I got that one. For the chch folks I saw a bottle of Parker Penman I think it was Ruby in whitcoulls Hornby the other day full bottle but it was for display only and they wouldn't sell it, I did try.

If you want to try Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue, let me know I have that and its a really good version compared to PPS. I've seen a few threads where you can mix noodlers Navajo turquoise with La Couleur Royale which gets pretty close as well. I don't have either of those two but it might be worth getting them and trying. Ink mixing looks like a slippery slope through - a bit like vintage pens!

sakamichi great timing as the samples are here in chch and with 40 samples it'll keep you busy.

@HarrietHippo might be time to retire a few of the samples and update a few, I've added some new inks to the collection so keen to get them out and about for others to try - PW Akkerman, KWZ Iron Gall and others

John you're certainly not letting the grass grow under your feet, cracking into those samples, they look good. Parker Penman is pretty cool and its a balancing act around using it and not wanting to use it, if that makes sense because I don't think I'll get another bottle, it was a fluke I got that one. For the chch folks I saw a bottle of Parker Penman I think it was Ruby in whitcoulls Hornby the other day full bottle but it was for display only and they wouldn't sell it, I did try.

Tell them they can keep the box for the display. The ink was discontinued decades ago, so it's not like they looking to sell bottles of the stuff!

@ Cdub24 Yeah sounds like the box is getting pretty full! I guess we have a few options

1. expand the box with another holder and populate with inks. This will however increase the box size and likely postage costs, and as it is it takes a while to get around to them all (Unless you are a boss like jmcollis and you just smash it out :P ) it probably just adds costs.

2. keep existing box size, and just throw in a few loose extra inks (10-12). I've got some spare vials and they haven't leaked yet being transported and posted around

3. people to grab a couple of vials that are of interest to keep. I can post the empties I have to the box holder and we can seek to introduce fresh stock to keep things interesting.

My preference is probably #3 but open to suggestions and happy to hear from everyone.

Hi all.

I have updated the Google Spreadsheet with the second tab featuring a current list of what's in the box and an estimate of how much there is currently in each sample. This may help the deliberations about more inks, retiring some etc. etc.

I hope this is useful.

Cheers,

John

Sorry to veer a little off topic, but I was reading back through the older pages of this post and wondering if anything came of the discussion re: a NZ fountain pen Facebook group?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Off topic but of interest possibly. Pelikan Hubs are happening in September. At the moment, there are Hubs on the Pelikan Hub website as possible for Auckland and Christchurch. The deal is that they need at least 5 people at each location to make sure it is going to happen.

It strikes me that it's an opportunity to meet and greet other Fountain Pen users with some small gifts from Pelikan provided.

What do people think??

I've registered at Christchurch, but I think I'm the only one so far.

Anyone want to comment??

The website with info is here:

https://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.CMS.displayCMS.206767./pelikan-hubs

Awesome idea, Im not a fan of Pelikan pens but I do like the Edelstein range of inks, and I think a meet would be a good way to sample different pens etc.

Im keen for an Auckland one (if Im in the country at that time...... not sure yet).

Edited by -kk-

Good sporting John

Sounds like a great idea, I don't have any pelicans in the collection but have a couple of their inks and they're awesome. Super keen, I've registered

I'll check spreadsheet and see what the group thinks we should do with the samples I'm keen for people to keep the ones they want and then we reload the sample tray again

I've signed up as well, for Christchurch! Looks like there was a hub in Auckland and Christchurch last year, and Christchurch in 2014-2015, so the chances look pretty good.

Well at least we know at least 3 people signed up for chch

Awesome. I'll pass on information to some other people I know who might be interested.

:-)

Taking things even further off topic, just thought I'd mention that Mighty Ape is now stocking Iroshizuku inks! https://www.mightyape.co.nz/attribute/44/series/iroshizuku-ink

$50 each, but even so, think of the convenience of not waiting for weeks and paying international shipping. Reckon I might treat myself to a bottle. If a few other people do too I'm sure it would encourage them to keep the inks as a regular product line :)

For those of us in New Zealand it is much cheaper to get Iroshizuku inks from Japan. I've got them from j_subculture for around $15 each. Even if it costs $15 more for shipping it is still cheaper, and adding more to the order gives additional economies of scale to the shipping cost. All prices in NZ dollars here.

100% agree with you I've got most of mine from j subculture and a few pens as well, super reliable and good pricing, takes btw 10 days and 2 weeks to arrive

Thanks for letting us know John, I have signed up for the Christchurch one. I have no pelican pens but have some of their inks.

Even if you're wanting to order within NZ, Inkt still has them cheaper than Mightyape. $40 for the 50ml as opposed to $50.

Lol I love how NZ is so small that this thread has become an everything about NZ forum thread :-) All good. Yeah with Iro inks I usually use ebay and for about NZD30 you get stuff landed within about 7-10 days which isnt bad all things considered. Sailor inks often good value too.

Is the box with you at the moment jmcollis? PM me your address and I can send off a few empty vials so people can start swapping them out.