Pelikan X Twsbi X Faber-Castell X Sheaffer

marcelo

I'm planning to buy a new pen, in the US$ 40 – 100 range (big range, I know ;)), and narrowed my options down to these (in no particular order):

• Faber-Castell Loom
  • Sheaffer 300
  • Faber-Castell Ambition Black
  • TWSBI 580
  • Pelikan Pura

Which one would you choose and why?

Also, if you can, which one you would not choose and why?

Best!

Marcelo

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marcelo

• Arkanabar

• Notgatherox

• her

I would not get the Ambition personally - it has such a small section it hurts to write. But that's just me of course.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I would not get the Ambition personally - it has such a small section it hurts to write. But that's just me of course.

~Epic

I don't think it's just you, Epic. I've watched two reviews mentioning this very issue.

I would probably go for the TWSBI 580. I have a Faber Castell Loom, and while I like its looks and the way it writes, I don't enjoy writing with it because of the metal section. I don't know if this is true of the Sheaffer 300, too. It also excludes the Pelikan Pura. (No metal sections for me--they are too slippery.)

Would you consider used? If so a Pelikan 120 is easily available at your lower price range and a 200 *might* be had for the upper range.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I have the Pura and TWSBI 580 and like them both. I'm a bit Pelikan fan but would probably go with the TWSBI between the two.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Would you consider used? If so a Pelikan 120 is easily available at your lower price range and a 200 *might* be had for the upper range.

I'll second this recommendation: both excellent pens. And, in fact, certain colors of the Pelikan M200 can easily be obtained new at the OPs upper range, if bought from the right source.

I would probably go for the TWSBI 580. I have a Faber Castell Loom, and while I like its looks and the way it writes, I don't enjoy writing with it because of the metal section. I don't know if this is true of the Sheaffer 300, too. It also excludes the Pelikan Pura. (No metal sections for me--they are too slippery.)

Metal sections are definitely not for everybody. Thanks!

Hi OCArt. Thanks for the kind reply!

M200 are available on the upper range, but only on eBay. I live in Brazil and prefer to deal with a well-known online store, since I will have the pen delivered in Ashland, VA, and a good friend will bring it to me, like he did before with a couple of pens and watches.

That's also the reason why I'm not inclined to buy used, since I will not be able to check it soon after its delivery.

I have the Pura and TWSBI 580 and like them both. I'm a bit Pelikan fan but would probably go with the TWSBI between the two.

Thanks, PAKMAN!

What do you think about the writing smoothness of each?

of all the ones you mentioned, I find the Faber Castell to have the smoothest nibs. I don't have an issue with the Ambition size as others have mentioned here. I don't find it all that thin.

I have no problem with the section on the Ambition, I grip the pen slightly above the section.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

Faber-Castell Loom:

To heavy in my opinion. And the grip section is really slippery.

TWSBI 580:

My TWSBI 580 broke after a week and I really dislike to mail around and wait for extra parts.

Pelikan Pura:

Also a very heavy pen.

I don't know the other pens.

Edited by her

I've heard too many unpleasant things about the Sheaffer 300 to think about getting one. As for the Loom, it's very smooth, but also rather weighty and its bead-blasted metal section isn't for me.

I'd probably go for the TWSBI 580. I'm fond of light weight, moderate girth, resin piston fillers. TWSBI's QC in raw materials has allegedly improved lately.