croccanova

So I found this pen amongst a few others in a bin in my garage. It belonged to a late family friend who used it. In fact, it had an old cartridge in it and upon further inspection, it still wrote. How that ink didn't dry out is beyond me. But I cleaned it out and and tried it with a little converter. It looks like a medium nib with some line variation but nothing like the 52 1/2 V I just picked up. Is it worth me holding on to this or should I look for something better? Also am I correct? This is the Chrome Torsade? Right? Thanks!

post-131441-0-01554900-1471251112_thumb.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• Anne-Sophie

• Strombomboli

• croccanova

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I think it is darn beautiful.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

It is a nice looking pen. If it doesn't dry out it is a treasure indeed.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I think it is darn beautiful.

It has some pitting in the metal but yeah its a looker for sure!

• 3 weeks later...

It's a fine looking pen.... I've just found one in chrome, but it has a hooded 'Parker 51' style nib and section, and I can't for the life of me find a photo of one similar anywhere, all seem to have a standard nib and section. It's in Bulgaria.

Probably going to leave it where it is having seen the photo above.

Thanks for posting! :thumbup:

I might be old, but at least I got to see all the best Bands.

It's a fine looking pen.... I've just found one in chrome, but it has a hooded 'Parker 51' style nib and section, and I can't for the life of me find a photo of one similar anywhere, all seem to have a standard nib and section. It's in Bulgaria.

Probably going to leave it where it is having seen the photo above.

Thanks for posting! :thumbup:

http://www.stylo-plume.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11903

• 3 years later...

http://captainchang.com/pens/waterman.html

The photo below is from the website above, I belive this is the hooded nib stainless steel that was refered to in post #7 by member notimetoulouse.

http://captainchang.com/pens/images/waterman-concorde-silver.jpg

Waterman Concorde circa 1970s, 18k gold nib, silver plate over brass, cartridge/converter

The Waterman Concorde dates back to the 70s and may or may not have anything to do with the supersonic airliner of the same time. There is more than a passing resemblance in the shape of the body and nib.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

After searching for pictures of 1980's Waterman, I believe that the fountain pen that was borrowed without permission, from me by one of my classmate was/is a Waterman Torsade in stainless steel with medium nib.

The Torsade reflected the sunrays and this is how I discovered where it had ended up after disappearing from my desk at recess. It shined in my eyes during an exam, the classmate busily writing with it.

I lived in a tiny town and it was the only one available as I tried, in vain, to find a replacement in the 3 shops which had fountain pens and pen sets displays.

Comprehensive review of the Waterman Torsade from a collector on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We6No4nICSs

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I am surprised Troy didn't say Torsade = french for twist.

I also believe the casing is chrome plated brass not stainless steel.

Wow didn't see this topic the first time around, what a wonderful pen!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

http://captainchang.com/pens/waterman.html

The photo below is from the website above, I belive this is the hooded nib stainless steel that was refered to in post #7 by member notimetoulouse.

http://captainchang.com/pens/images/waterman-concorde-silver.jpg

Waterman Concorde circa 1970s, 18k gold nib, silver plate over brass, cartridge/converter

The Waterman Concorde dates back to the 70s and may or may not have anything to do with the supersonic airliner of the same time. There is more than a passing resemblance in the shape of the body and nib.

Except the Concorde's nib is not hooded, might have been something more like this:

il_340x270.2143878740_r2cv.jpg?version=0

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 1 month later...

This Waterman Torsade was a very commun pen among students in the 80's in France. Here you find them very frequently in garages sales. But it's right, it's a nice looking pen.

Edited by yoplaboum

Waterman Man 100, Pelikan M605, Montblanc 146 & 149, Parker Duofolds and 51s, Sheaffer Triumph and Intrigue, Lamy Safari, Pilot 78G and Pluminix...

PR Electric DC Blue, Herbin 1670 inks, Waterman Havana and purple, Montblanc Petrol Blue ...

Looks like a "re-imagined" Sterling Silver Lady Patricia "cable", from back in the day. So many beautiful designs have been revisited by Waterman over the years.

fpn_1592229333__lady_patricia_cable_twis

Edited by Addertooth

Several Torsades, with this twisty look, available on EBay. Not all that expensive, but oh, so beautiful.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

• 3 years later...

Does anybody know more about the Torsade with the hooded nib? I have one and find all but no information on it. I suppose it's the cheap version of the Torsade and doesn't even have a name.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

The torsade come in the late sixties  3 differents versions 

2 in chrome and one in golden plated  one in open stainless nib number 2 and you can find in gold hooded nib  and the golden open nib n° 2 for the both 

torsade is the lady size for the men is the same combinaison but the name is facette and is a little bit longer 

Sorry for my bad English but I write from France and frenchs are not so good in foreign language

Merci beaucoup ! Je n'ai pas bien compris ce que tu voulais me dire, mais ce n'est pas grave comme quelqu'un a acheté mon petit stylo quand même, alors, sans description précise. (C'était sur la version allemande de ce forum, les gens-là sont toujours prêts pour essayer des stylos inconnus, ils sont comme les gens ici  ...  😉)

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.