Line Widths From Pilot Capless (Vp)

AndyYNWA

I'm thinking of buying a Pilot Capless. However, I haven't seens a reliable comparison of the line widths.

I have heard that the medium nib is like a European medium, but it varies quite a lot from pen to pen. Is this still the case. I have also heard that the fine nib is like a Japanese fine. This makes me consider the fine-medium nib, however it only come in one finish and is nearly twice the price of the standard finishes.

I know it's quite a lot to ask, but...

Does anyone have a comparison that shows the line widths? Preferably compared with Custom 74 medium and Metropolitan medium and fine.

My Custom 74 medium is really nice, but I wish it put down a slight thinner line, more like my Metropolitan medium.

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyYNWA

• francoamerican

• trulylefty

• prashant.tikekar

I have custom 74 and capless both in fine. My capless write slightly thinner than custom 74 and both are smooth and wet. (my capless is with steel nib not gold) Both custom 74 and capless write like Japanese F ( thinner than Lamy F) capless is also thinner than Lamy EF.

Edited by prashant.tikekar

You should also look at the nib nook on the gouletpens.com website. They have comparisons of all those nib. There is a bigger difference between the Capless M and the Capless F, than would be expected. I have also heard that consistently from several people.

You should also look at the nib nook on the gouletpens.com website. They have comparisons of all those nib. There is a bigger difference between the Capless M and the Capless F, than would be expected. I have also heard that consistently from several people.

I have been looking there, but it's not helping. I have seen so many different statments regarding the line width. What I do have understood is that the difference between medium and fine is quite big, just like it is on Custom 74.

The problem is that I have heard some say the medium is thinner than a Western medium, others say that it's broader. Some say the fine is like a true Japanese fine, others that it's slightly broader.

I have also heard that the line width, of especially the medium, varies quite a lot from pen to pen. Is this true, or is it and old issue that has been resolved?

I think a fine-medium would be the ideal size for me, but I haven't found any writing samples of it anywhere on the interweb.

This is why I would like to see comparison

YNWA - JFT97

I have two in M, exactly the same. Approximately the same as a western M. This is obviously only anecdotal, but all my other Pilot M nibs (not VP pens) are about the same width. I'd guess that the variation between Pilot nibs is not too much.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I have given the Nib Nook another try. However it doesn't really correspond with my pens.

My Faber-Castell fine is quite a bit finer than Metropolitan medium. Both Metropolitan sizes seem thinner than they are in my experience.

Does this seem accurate to you who have the Capless? If it's correct I think I would like somthing like the Metropolitan medium in this presentation, I assume that's the fine-medium I'm looking for. But of course, the fine-medium Capless is almost double the price...

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv27/AndyYNWA/Misc/SkaumlrmklippVP_zpsva6dn03y.png

YNWA - JFT97

My experience is similar to the Goulet picture above. My Pilot VP M is much wider than my Pilot Metropolitan M. I'm sure there's variation in individual pens but if you're looking for the same width as a Metro M I would probably get a VP F. The nice thing about VPs is the nib units are widely available and require no effort to replace.

As seen in the Goblet Nib-Nook - the VP medium in 18k does write exactly like a Western Medium. It is wonderfully smooth, and I want to love it, but always switch it out for daily note taking.

The VP nib in Fine/Medium can be found in the Black/Gold pen only and I have never seen the nib unit sold separately. Still, you can get a good deal on Amazon and put the nib in another body of your choice (sorry - it is only in gold - no rhodium or black). The FM is about a Western Fine.

The best choice is to visit you meister of choice and have a medium or broad ground to your personal specifications. IndyPenDance can do the job with purchase of pen or nib (no affiliation).

Part of the reason for the different opinions is the tremendous effect that papers has (IMO)

I certainly find the VP medium to be as wide as a western medium nib and certainly wider than the custom series medium.

I noticed a capless FM on Santa Trading Japan but i wonder if it's a mistake. Pilot Fountain Pen Capless, FM-Nib, Black Body (FC-15SR-B-FM)

B-T-W i love FM pilot and find it nearly identical in line width on Rhodia paper to a Lamy 2000 fine.

According to Pilot's Japanese site the FM is available.

http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/fountain/capless/

However, it's only available in black with gold trims. I don't understand why they don't make the FM more readily available and in more colours...?

Edited by AndyYNWA

YNWA - JFT97

According to Pilot's Japanese site the FM is available.

http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/fountain/capless/

However, it's only available in black with gold trims. I don't understand why they don't make the FM more readily available and in more colours...?

Nice! (I have a bent nib and this is only about $20 more than the replacement nib section would be)

One other note - i had a chance to try a grey market steel "alloy" nib medium and it gave me a finer line than the gold one - i really liked it and I also actually wonder if the stronger material is better suited to the skinny nib arrangement?

Anyone who have tried both the gold nib and the "special alloy" nib? Especially the mediums.

It's quite a big difference in price...

YNWA - JFT97

Just got a chance to try out my dad's matte blue new VP fine. I was surprised how wet and smooth it writes (with iroshizuku take sumi) - didn't seem scratchy to me at all!! I would definitely buy one if i could justify buying a pen right now.

Very useful pen. Even on laser paper with iroshizuku it was usable (because of the fine nib) but on good paper just gives a very good line

main caveat - if you happen to write small you will love it.

FA

Edited by francoamerican

I believe it depends on where it's sourced as they are made specifically for each market, my black/orange fine (only sold outside japan I believe) is definitely more wider than my decimo from Japan, the blue Carbonesque I tried in store was definitely wider than my black Kasuri (basically black carbonesque but only in Japan).

The asian market being thinner for obvious reasons and the western market being wider.

Edited by Alteyz