J Herbin — Caroube De Chypre

jasonchickerson

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/image_3.jpeg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/image_2.jpeg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/image_5.jpeg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/image_4.jpeg

This is an ink I did not expect to like or get much use. I primarily use the 1670 inks as watercolors when painting with my daughter. She likes the gold flecks, and they do make for some interesting effects, so I purchased all of the line save Stormy Grey (which is one of the worst inks I have every personally tried) for this purpose.

I put it in my daily carry pen to test for this review and it didn't come out for two weeks. So, not too bad. The gold shows up readily on high quality paper and almost not at all on the cheap stuff, so I didn't get any questions at work about my sparkly ink. Hue is identical to Herbin's own Terre de Feu, but Caroube is much wetter and a bit darker.

In the end, I like it quite a bit. While not as exciting as Rouge Hematite or Emeraude de Chivor, it is much better behaved and much more useable on a daily basis. In case you missed it in the written review, I left the cap off my pen for four hours with Caroube inside and it started right up again. Cleaning it out of the pen took about three flushes. Brilliant.

Paper is Rhodia dotpad no. 16. An attempt was made toward color accuracy.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jasonchickerson

• lgsoltek

• Barkingpig

• visvamitra

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this script Bâtarde? It's gorgeous. I'll have to learn it.

No drawing for this one. I don't know what I would do with it, and time is precious.

The script would be more English ((bleep) Secretary) than French (Batarde), but yes, basically the same hand from the same time period.

Glad you like it.

Thank you for this review, you always make it interesting & share nice inks. I just gave my pen, Hero with a fude nib, a good shaking & was really surprised how much darker the ink was after maybe a couple of weeks since I filled it. It was "another side" to the ink from it's first fill; both sides equally pleasant!

Thank you for this review, you always make it interesting & share nice inks. I just gave my pen, Hero with a fude nib, a good shaking & was really surprised how much darker the ink was after maybe a couple of weeks since I filled it. It was "another side" to the ink from it's first fill; both sides equally pleasant!

Thanks. I've never seen a fude nib pen. How do you like it? I may have to give one a try.

Thanks. I've never seen a fude nib pen. How do you like it? I may have to give one a try.

After reading someone 's post here about this pen, I ordered it the same day on Ebay. I remember it being under $10.00. It is a HERO 9018, & arrived after a bit but was very faithful to their review & I was shocked by how sturdy & attractive the pen was. The nib is a blast, imagine changing nib sizes by the directional orientation of your nib? Holding the pen almost upright yields a finer line but holding the BODY of the pen close to the paper itself is a wonderful @ least double broad. I haven't used it much I mainly wanted to see it to understand the concept, from seeing it as a "choice" of nibs with Pilot pens.

I can only say it was fun & my first order from China; I just checked & there are a couple on Ebay currently ranging from near $5.00 to about $10.00, which isn't much for a fun little pen with unusual nib.

The nib is a blast, imagine changing nib sizes by the directional orientation of your nib? .

I'll have to pick one up. I have a Lamy 2000 that writes a medium line right side up and an XXF line upside down. Of course it didn't come that way, and it's nowhere near as broad as the fude. Thanks.

Thanks for the great review! I'm not at all drawn to the sparkly ink trend, but the underlying color is very attractive (and what you do with it even more so!).

After reading someone 's post here about this pen, I ordered it the same day on Ebay. I remember it being under $10.00. It is a HERO 9018, & arrived after a bit but was very faithful to their review & I was shocked by how sturdy & attractive the pen was. The nib is a blast, imagine changing nib sizes by the directional orientation of your nib? Holding the pen almost upright yields a finer line but holding the BODY of the pen close to the paper itself is a wonderful @ least double broad. I haven't used it much I mainly wanted to see it to understand the concept, from seeing it as a "choice" of nibs with Pilot pens.

I can only say it was fun & my first order from China; I just checked & there are a couple on Ebay currently ranging from near $5.00 to about $10.00, which isn't much for a fun little pen with unusual nib.

For most people... a FUDE nib is just a passing fancy, they get tired of it quite quickly. I love my Fude nib and is in my purse as an EDC pen. Sturdy.. very good looking (mine is a Sailor).. and because of practice.. I can write with it, without changing the angle, quite easily. Then, if the fancy strikes me.. I can write as BBB (low angle) just for fun... :lol: :lol:

Jason get one... I am sure you can do gorgeous things with a Fude nib... :wub: :wub:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

• 3 weeks later...

Great review, thank you!

I haven't tried this ink yet, but I don't think I'll like it. I'm not too fond of red brown.

Btw is there no accompanying drawing this time? :D I love your drawings!

Is this script Bâtarde? It's gorgeous. I'll have to learn it.

New review of Emeraude de Chivor up now, including a sketch and calligraphy in Lettre Bâtarde.