What's A Reasonable Waiting Time For A Sailor Pen To Ship?

glorfindel

Hi,

I've order a Sailor Naginata-Togi nib from engeika.com 24 days ago. The pen still hasn't been shipped.

To be fair, I've got 2 e-mails telling me that the pen has been "ordered directly to sailor and they are making it as we speak" and to be patient.

They've also replied to my e-mail a week ago with basically the same message - sailor is hard at work making the pen, be patient.

Are these times normal? Or should I start getting worried?

Thank you.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• glorfindel

• Erik Dalton

• Algester

Hi Glorfindel

I had the same shipment delay in my 3 last orders from Taizo (Engeika)..in fact.. I had to cancel one of them because I could not wait so long..it is a really annoying...good prices but He is taking so long for delivery...

René from Chile.

I don't know if the same applies for them, but Anderson Pens states that if a Naginata Togi is not in stock, it could be a 6 month wait.

Three weeks ago, I ordered a Sailor Standard /Rhodium with a zoom nib and I got the same message that Sailor is producing the pen... After two weeks, he respond me that it will take 6 months before delivery... I ask a refund...

Yes, a wait for a Sailor might be months. I'm past 4 months now on an order for a Pro Gear Slim pink demonstrator with an MS (music) nib from Classic Pens (Mottishaw).

:-\

Hi,

I've order a Sailor Naginata-Togi nib from engeika.com 24 days ago. The pen still hasn't been shipped.

To be fair, I've got 2 e-mails telling me that the pen has been "ordered directly to sailor and they are making it as we speak" and to be patient.

They've also replied to my e-mail a week ago with basically the same message - sailor is hard at work making the pen, be patient.

Are these times normal? Or should I start getting worried?

Thank you.

Hello,

If it is a Naginata nib, which is a speciality nib made by sailor, the reasonable shipping time would be anything between 6 months to 1 year.

All Naginata nibs are tuned/made by Mr. Nagahara, so it takes time considering that you are put in a queue and he tunes/makes them one by one. Basically first come first serve.

I think engeika informs you of the waiting time before you place the order. They usually quote it as 6 months.

If you manage to get it before that, consider yourself extremely lucky.

I hope this helped.

Naginata-Togi nibs are more easily manufactured as opposed to the rest of the Nagahara nibs (Cross Point, Fude, Concord, Cross Music, King Eagle, etc.). Including Yukio Nagahara, there are only three people who make these nibs and they are putting out only 30 Naginata-Togi nibs a day. Sailor is not even taking orders for the rest of the Nagahara nibs and Naginata-Togi are being pushed out to close to 12 months delivery from date of initial order. Pens I ordered in April are being quoted mid-April 2017 delivery to me.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Hi Glorfindel

I had the same shipment delay in my 3 last orders from Taizo (Engeika)..in fact.. I had to cancel one of them because I could not wait so long..it is a really annoying...good prices but He is taking so long for delivery...

René from Chile.

By the way my comment was about my experience buying current.. IN STOCK... pens made by Pilot..

:thumbup:

Thank you for all the replies!

Wow, months and months of waiting surely sounds daunting...

I did not realize that this could be considered normal.

Especially since I don't think there was any warning about that on the website - the pen was not "out of stock" nor "back order".

I really want the pen, however 6 months waiting time is definitely not what I had in mind.

At least if there was some ETA, I could then adjust my expectations. However, I did not get a reply to my inquiry regarding how long will it approximately take.

I guess, you really have to be an FP addict to put up with those waits ;-)

I just got the same reply for a sailor lecoule which was stated to be in stock on the website. I ordered a month ago and it is supposed to be a birthdaypresent.

Always lurking, sometimes posting.

So, I got a reply yesterday...

The pen would be ready in 1 year and 4 months from the day of purchase...

I've asked for a re-fund for now. I just don't think it's worth THAT kind of a wait.

It's a pity you can't see this on the web page when you order - knowing about the wait would have saved time and aggravation on both sides. When I purchased the pen the status was "Low stock", which I assumed was not "out of stock". I was surprised that the order went to the factory in the first place, let alone take almost a year and a half to produce.

I feel your pain, pen brother, and sympathize... but you just missed the warning. It's actually in pretty big text on the purchase page:

SPECIAL ORDER for this item may take from six to twelve months. 50% of Full Payment is required in advance for SPECIAL ORDER of this pen. We always try our best to bring you all the pens you want!

That's a copy paste of the text. So -- you've ordered an incredible pen that's going to be very special to have. I'd say just hang in there and wait for it. It's a long wait but it's going to be totally worth it once you finally get it. You'll have something in your hands (then) that would take anyone else 6-12 months to get.

I plan to get the Naginata Fude nib eventually but I'm dreading the wait. I'm waiting on a Metal Falcon from Engeika right now that I got on Ebay. I'm so spoiled - I normally get everything through Amazon Prime shipping!

Edited by JunkyardSam

I don't know where you saw this message, but to verify I just have gone through the whole process of purchasing the same pen again up to the final payment. On every page I was doing the search for anything that would remotely resemble the warning - it was on none of the pages.

I've got several e-mails from the seller and none of them indicated the excessive wait either until I pressed and asked for an ETA.

I've had two dealings with Taizo- both pleasant but not always a done deal. First was for a celluloid Pilot- gave up after two months. Second is for a Sailor Profit. After two months, have a shipping number.

Bottom line I think that Taizo is an honorable person and that the cost of his low prices and exclusivity is in the waiting time.

I'm waiting on inks from Taizo. At no time during the ordering process did I see anything about having to wait in a queue. Then I get an email days later saying the order has been placed with Sailor.

I find this practice to be quite deceptive, as it means the customers are paying up front for items that they are basically told is in stock, only to find out that it isn't in stock after all but thanks for giving us your money in the meantime.

It's either in stock or it isn't. At least he should be honest about it. I'm getting close to pulling to plug on my orders (4 inks now).

While people think its a deceptive practice but small informal businesses this is standard protocol pretty much this isnt some established businesses like say goulet pens, my brother also used it when he was selling plastic models have the customers pay up first to ensure their dedication and then order the items from there on and then wait because they cant really stock up on items (literally cant foot the bill) and is purely dependent on demand basis... Yes that includes when your warehouse is your own room/house, as for me I'm used to it but I havent ordered any pens online as I mainly deal with local importers from my end but this is what they do which also means that you should know about the availability of goods in the first place or is knowledgable enough with the supply chain

Edited by Algester