Kaweco sent me a Kaweco Classic Sport Red FP in exchange for an honest review, and they included a pack of Sunrise Orange ink cartridges in the box. So I thought some of you might like to see it.

I have reviewed the Kaweco Classic Sport here and used a writing sample of this ink in that review. Here it is again:

fpn_1470983980__kaweco_sunrise_orange.jp

I gave the pen a couple of shakes after inserting the cartridge, and it wrote straight away. Sometimes you need to squeeze a little water through Kaweco Sport pens before writing with them, but I didn't do this.

The ink flowed quite smoothly, and lubricated the nib quite well without a hard start or any skipping.

I saw plenty of shading in the ink.

It felt slightly dryer that some other inks that I have used lately, but I don't find any of my Kaweco Sport pen and Kaweco ink combinations to be wet.

The orange ink colour is attractive, and isn't so bright as to be retina searing. In fact, compared with some of the orange inks I've tried before, it's quite sophisticated and restrained.

The ink didn't show through on any of the papers that I tried it with, apart from the 50gsm Tomoe River, and all inks seem to show through on that paper.

It didn't bleed through on any of the papers I tried it with.

It dried fairly quickly on all of the papers.

fpn_1471890942__kaweco_sunrise_orange5.j

Comparison swab tests of orange inks:

fpn_1470992083__kaweco_sunrise_orange_5.

Picture of cartridge pack:

fpn_1471029036__kaweco_cartridges_0003.j

Chroma tests with water for comparison. Left to Right: Diamine Marigold, Diamine Orange, Diamine Pumpkin, Diamine Sunset, Kaweco Sunrise Orange, KWZ Orange, Montblanc Ink of Joy, Montblanc Gandhi, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange, Sailor Apricot. (Note: If you notice the ink dots on the chroma tests, this was an accident after the chroma tests were dry)

fpn_1471029023__kaweco_cartridges_0002.j

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• encremental

• visvamitra

• Old_Inkyhand

Thank you very much, Chrissy! I received a few Kaweco Royal Blue cartridges as a gift. I'm not a fan of royal blues, so I would prefer pretty much every other colour from the current line. But a gift is a gift and I am thankful anyway! This colour seems to be interesting.

Aha! Thank you Chrissy - for me that's the final proof that the Kaweco inks are actually the old Caran D'Ache Colours of the Earth lineup in different bottles .... :)

Good to have them back.

John

Thanks for the review. I'll definitely check it - there's now way I'll miss new orange. But I'll start with carts :)

You're welcome. :)

It's a good idea to start with cartridges when you can.

Thank you Chrissy.

This Kaweco ink (in carts) was below my radar, as my usual Canadian source does not have this particular colour. Cult Pens has it. :) Good!

BTW: Is there sheen?

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Thank you Chrissy.

This Kaweco ink (in carts) was below my radar, as my usual Canadian source does not have this particular colour. Cult Pens has it. :) Good!

BTW: Is there sheen?

You're welcome. :)

I didn't notice sheen, and I would normally use a wetter pen in order to see it. The Kaweco Sport M nib wasn't a wet writer.

• 1 month later...

Aha! Thank you Chrissy - for me that's the final proof that the Kaweco inks are actually the old Caran D'Ache Colours of the Earth lineup in different bottles .... :)

Good to have them back.

John

I've been following that theory with hope.... are you thinking this is Saffron? Because my Saffron is way more orange than what this looks like on my monitor. I'd like to be wrong, if this is saffron I'm in for way too many bottles!

Pens: TWSBI Eco (3), Pilot Metro (6), FC Loom (3), Duke APEC 18K, various Cinese pens, Pilot Milano. Inks: Caran de Ache, Diamine, PR, J. Herbin, Pharmacist's, Blackstone. I'm the owner of www.distinctionjewelry.com, another way I enjoy pretty colors (gemstones!). Not affiliated with any pen/ink/paper company.

Thanks for the review Chrissy. The dark edging looks great. I found a place in the US that sells it and ordered 2 packs.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 1 month later...

One always needs a good shading orange. Just ran into bottles and cartridges at my B&M and wondered. Looks well worth while.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.