My Boss Wants A Pen

sidthecat

If he wants a big pen that lays down ink like a brush, I'd vote the Noodler's Neponset. I know they can be a bit finicky, but they're worth the tinkering. Mine quickly shot up to the top of my daily use class beside my Visconti HS.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidthecat

• zwack

• PaganArcher

• gryphon1911

If he wants a big pen that lays down ink like a brush, I'd vote the Noodler's Neponset. I know they can be a bit finicky, but they're worth the tinkering. Mine quickly shot up to the top of my daily use class beside my Visconti HS.

Buying your boss one of Noodlers' temperamental drama queens could be begging for a P45, I'd have thought.

:P

Buying your boss one of Noodlers' temperamental drama queens could be begging for a P45, I'd have thought.

:P

With the bosses I've had, I'd give them a 616 knockoff and laugh my way to HR to hand in my two weeks.

I'm a bit of a temperamental drama queen myself, so it should be all in a day's work.

The irony is we're all tool-obsessives and we all do our work on computers. Fountain pens are instruments for our spare time, like garden clippers or Dremel tools or whatever people use to hook rugs.

Edited by sidthecat

How about a Pelikan M 1000 with a tweaked nib? Then he will have a little more mileage with the ink over a cartridge / converter pen.

He might be able to find a reasonably priced one at a pen show.

I started by favouring larger and heavier pens. Now I find that small light pens are simply a different experience provided the pen over all remains balanced and comfortable to grip. My 52 1/2V (same size as zwack's 452 but lighter) is the only pen I post. With that bit of extra length, it is excellent.

Indeed the 452 1/2V is "just" a 52 1/2V with a sterling silver overlay.

And yes, I do have to post it to use it. But even posted it is a small pen compared to many.

Along the big pen lines of the Jinhao 159, don't forget the Wing Sung 590!!

And the Kaigelu 316! (No signs of flex there, sorry).

Practice, patience, perseverance

I've found a few candidates for him here and there (Mr. Nishimura has a Dunn buried in his catalog with a very interesting nib), but my boss is going to have to pull the trigger himself.

What about a Pilot FA nib? They write like a super soft nib when unflexed, and is capable of some flexy action. I do think they write like a very fine brush.

I would recommend getting a Pilot Custom 823 with the FA nib. If I'm not mistaken, it is slightly longer than a Montblanc 146, but is slightly slimmer than a 149. It is a vacuum filler with an enormous ink capacity.

The only downside is that only one place sells it: Tokyo Pen Shop Quill, which is located in Japan. It does ship worldwide.

I brought in a Waterman 52 for him to play with...yes, I got it back.

I might have to sell it to him - for cheap, of course.

I would never venture into a situation like this. Something is bound to go wrong.

Sometimes I read these threads and they seem like some kind of pen fantasy. Almost like modern day sitcoms, with the savoir faire of "Mom."

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I would never suggest a cheap Chinese pen. That would be insulting. Getting him to the SF show is a great idea. Time to roam, time to play with nibs, and perhaps talk to Susan Wirth. Trying to guess what they want or would be most suitable would be difficult.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I would never suggest a cheap Chinese pen. That would be insulting. Getting him to the SF show is a great idea. Time to roam, time to play with nibs, and perhaps talk to Susan Wirth. Trying to guess what they want or would be most suitable would be difficult.

This is perfectly said.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.