• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matlock

• mitto

• BillH

• canibanoglu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But a 400 is different from a M400. M400 is the successor to the old 400 line but they are not the same pens. Please check http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-pelikan-modell-400.html

Yes, tecnically you may be Quite right as the ones from the 80s are M400 and not 400 as were the ones from the 50s. But they are identical to the extent that only experts can differentiate between the two. And, hence, Christof's post linked above on FPB.

Khan M. Ilyas

The 400 and M400 are very different pens. Aside from the different nibs and feeds the 400 has an ink capacity of 2ml whilst the M400 only holds 1.4ml. Quite a difference. Both great pens though and the nib units are interchangeable.

Peter

The 400 and M400 are very different pens. Aside from the different nibs and feeds the 400 has an ink capacity of 2ml whilst the M400 only holds 1.4ml. Quite a difference. Both great pens though and the nib units are interchangeable.

I agree, Peter.

I had a spare nib unit from 400NN with the ebonite feed that I put on my 80s' M400. And I put the nib unit from my M400 on my black M481 that came with a steel nib.

Khan M. Ilyas

Yes, tecnically you may be Quite right as the ones from the 80s are M400 and not 400 as were the ones from the 50s. But they are identical to the extent that only experts can differentiate between the two. And, hence, Christof's post linked above on FPB.

That is just being argumentative, especially after your agreement with Peter who is saying, as far as I can tell, the same thing that I am. They are not identical to everyone but experts. They are very different pens. I don't see anyone saying that M400 and M600 pens are practically the same, when in reality the similarity between a M400 and a M600 is higher compared to the similarity between a 400 (N/NN) and a M400.

They are very similar in appearance, true, but very different internally. Hold them up to the light and observe the much greater throw of the piston on the 400, thus giving the greater capacity.

Peter

I'm currently waiting on that 2016 M400 brown tortoise. I already have a 80s (marked W. Germany) M400 brown tortoise here, so it will be interesting to compare the two. It will be my first modern Pelikan, as the three I already have are all 80s pens. Perhaps it will make me more interested in what modern Pelikans have to offer.

Edited by tragique

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered from Niche pens .. came out to about $330 with overseas shipping -- I'm quite happy with that price.

Did you have to pay a custom's fee?

I ordered from La Corronne du Compte for 268 Euros minus a 10% coupon, which is 241 Euros or 268 U.S. dollars. They're out of stock at the moment though so there's a wait till the end of the month.

Did you ever receive your pen, LuckyKate? I cancelled my order once they finally admitted Pelikan still hadn't confirmed their backorder as of the third week in September.

I switched to Cult Pens, and had the new bird in my hand ASAP, for US$ 315.02. Was a bit more than LCdC, but I just wasn't willing to roll the dice over whether or not they'd receive another shipment.

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

Did you ever receive your pen, LuckyKate? I cancelled my order once they finally admitted Pelikan still hadn't confirmed their backorder as of the third week in September.

I switched to Cult Pens, and had the new bird in my hand ASAP, for US$ 315.02. Was a bit more than LCdC, but I just wasn't willing to roll the dice over whether or not they'd receive another shipment.

Oh, that is not good!

I also ordered from La Couronne du Comte, in fact, I pre-ordered as soon as it was announced and still haven't received the pen. My wife pre-ordered hers a few days after me and received it promptly. They told me that mine didn't ship because I ordered a Montblanc ink with it and what they didn't have was the ink. Now I'm a bit worried.

Edited to add: Just talked with them and they have a pen reserved for me, just waiting for the ink to arrive (the Shakespeare ink is well worth the wait and, meanwhile, I can use my wife's pen or, when it arrives, the Nakaya they shipped this week to me :D ). I continue to be very happy LCdC.

Edited by Lam1

Edited to add: Just talked with them and they have a pen reserved for me, just waiting for the ink to arrive (the Shakespeare ink is well worth the wait and, meanwhile, I can use my wife's pen or, when it arrives, the Nakaya they shipped this week to me :D ). I continue to be very happy LCdC.

Happy to hear you got in before they ran out. :)

No. I ordered my pen September 3rd and haven't received it. I am thinking of cancelling my order.

Sept. 6: Ordered pen, since their website showed the item as in stock and available.

Sept. 7: Email from LCdC saying the pen wasn't in stock, but would ship as soon as it came in from Pelikan.

: : : Waited two weeks : : :

Sept. 22: I emailed to ask when the pen might be shipping. Got a fuzzy response, saying it would ship as soon as they received an order from Pelikan.

We swapped a couple more emails, with me asking specifically if their backorder had been confirmed by Pelikan. As a past stationery and pen retailer myself, I know that with many vendors, limited edition backorders aren't guaranteed unless they've provided a confirmation number to the seller.

Sept. 23: They admitted they were still awaiting confirmation from Pelikan (read: their backorder wasn't a sure thing).

: : : Thought about this for five more days : : :

Sept. 28: Having heard nothing more, I respectfully requested cancellation of my order, then switched to Cult Pens.

Time from placing a new order to receipt of the pen:

5 days (ordered on 09/28, received on 10/03)

I'm sure LCdC is a reputable seller, but...given my previous life selling upscale pens (including Pelikan), my expectation is that sellers will be transparent about stock availability and likelihood of backorder fulfillment. That's how we treated our customers; guess I feel other sellers should do the same, especially when asked a direct question about backorder confirmation.

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently waiting on that 2016 M400 brown tortoise. I already have a 80s (marked W. Germany) M400 brown tortoise here, so it will be interesting to compare the two. It will be my first modern Pelikan, as the three I already have are all 80s pens. Perhaps it will make me more interested in what modern Pelikans have to offer.

Here's the comparison:-

L-R M400 old style pre-1997, M400 newstyle post-1998, M415 2009 and M400 2016

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/image_zpsoihuxmjz.jpeg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/image_zpsmgxzzhff.jpeg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m188/kewlfly/image_zpsc8tucaxm.jpeg

IMHO, the tortoise shell binde looks better with the M400 old & new style pens (also the M415) as they were constructed with a better tortoise shell outlook. The orange spots on the new M400 make it looks more faux tortoise shell. But I like the new M400's double capring and 2 rings at the turning knob as they now come with thicker gold plating. It brings out the prominence of this pen.

daenghafez,

That is a lovely set of pens! Thanks for sharing. Love the setup and the caps too... well done.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I currently own 2 pelikans (Classic 200 Cafe-Creme and a M805). I really love the look of the tortoise browns. They only things that help me resist are the fact that, for me personally, the 400s (just like the 200s) are too small for my liking. I'm also not a fan of gold appointments. Although it really goes well with the brown tortoise and silver would definitely not work here. Oh, did I mention the price? lol. A bit much for a 400 imo.

Mike L.

The 200/400&600 balance well when posted and are longer than a Large unposted pen.

My 600 has a semi-flex B nib from my tortoise 400....that is not the 400n I thought.

One can if one wishes hard....see more curve to a 400's piston cap than is there....one can be sure one has a 400n....in it says Pelikan and 400 on the cap band (my other 3 green striped '50-54 400's don't have a mark on the cap band.)...... ;) and the nib is width marked. .......... :unsure: So is the piston cap :( .

Sigh....I don't have a 400n Tortoise......I have a 400T.....transitional....in the 400n has a longer cap than the 400....so should post about to the same length as the medium-large 400nn....even the 400n is a standard pen...

Well at least it's Tortoise still. :P And I can DATE it.....1954..... :P :ninja:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have recently tested one out in a pen shop, and I must say that pictures do it no justice. I really do wish that Pelikan will release this finish again a few years down the road. I was sold as soon as I saw the pen!!