• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• migo984

• zwack

• rhymingisfun

• inkstainedruth

Being a lover of flex nibs and inks that offer lots of shading, I recommend Diamine Grey after having been using it for several years in my vintage pens. It provides a great flowing ink that dries on paper fairly quick, has not clogged any of my pens, it is a very easy ink to flush from pens, and it provides awesome color shading.

i would agree. diamine grey is one of my favourites :thumbup:

-rudy-

i used to do ink mixing and got various shades of the same color to write with. however, i do find the extra work and sometimes the not-so-friendly quality of my own ink mixes may not be worth it. and so i decided to just stick with the color shades available in the market that i'm happy with, though i may have to spend the extra money. at least this way i know i can better protect my pens. i used to write with black and other deep dark colored inks, but not anymore. i find the greyish or muted colors tend to work best to allow my notes to be more eye friendly for future readings, especially when they come in many pages. i'm a big fan of grey inks, especially the ones on the medium-darker side. perfect for everyday writings, including for work.

-rudy-

Hello, I made a separate post with the same question before being redirected to this topic.

Which of the recommended grey inks are water resistant, and would diluted Noodler's black ink still be waterproof enough to be readable if I spill water over my notes?

Thank you!

Catching up on this thread....

I am also of the school of "grey Inks are awesome in of themselves". My personal favorites are De Atramentis Tchaikowsky/Silver Grey and Fog Grey, and Diamine Grey. They're dark enough to be legible for writing but are not just "off-black" or "diluted black". I also really like J Herbin 1670 Stormy Grey (but you have to be willing to put up with the gold dust in it -- I like it but YMMV) and Noodler's El Lawrence (which isn't really grey but isn't really any other color either -- the stuff really does look like used motor oil, but is dark enough to pretend to be black when black is required and yet is just subversive enough to NOT be black ;)). haven't tried Lexington Grey, but El Lawrence measures up in the permanence department. Some of the other greys I've tried (J Herbin Gris Nuage and Iroshihzuku Fuyu-syogun) were pretty but too light to be really legible; Private Reserve Grey Flannel had a greenish undertone which I didn't much care for, but that was the older formulation. Haven't made up my mind yet about Diamine Anniversary Silver Fox.

I must say that I'm now drooling over that Oster ink. The artwork of the slate roof really won me over (oh no, like I don't already have enough ink to last me the rest of my life... :o).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I must say that I'm now drooling over that Oster ink. The artwork of the slate roof really won me over (oh no, like I don't already have enough ink to last me the rest of my life... :o).

I'm happy you like my sketch, Ruth. Oster Purple Rock is just gorgeous & to me it is exactly like a wet slate roof. Lots of shades of grey & purple.

It amazed me when I first used it for a sketch. It's like one of those kids' magic painting books - just add water & all the colours appear. It is just as lovely straight from the nib, and is very easy to clean in my experience - a bonus for a "purple" ink.

You must get a bottle ;-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

Noodler's Lex (tho I understand OP does not want wp ink) and Diamine Grey (the most 'pencil like' that I have found) are my favorites.

Re my previous post, here is Oster Purple Rock in action. The writing is the ink in a Marlen Aleph pen; I think you can see that it looks a darkish, smokey grey. The quick sketch is done with Purple Rock, then washed over with a watercolour brush to show the amazing shades & purple tones. I added back some line details to show the ink as it looks straight from the pen.

I'm loving this ink....

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Well, we've just purchased this ink, so it better be as good as it looks in your illustration! :D

"In the end, only kindness matters."

Well, we've just purchased this ink, so it better be as good as it looks in your illustration! :D

The slate roof was inked then washed over with a watercolour brush. That would emphasise underlying dye colours obviously. The writing in the illustration is how it appeared from the nib, although the purple tone certainly shows up in writing when compared to the greener tones of Oster Graphite. :-)

And how it appears to you IRL will be different to how I perceive the colour. If it's "not as good" then........what? :-)

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

The slate roof was inked then washed over with a watercolour brush. That would emphasise underlying dye colours obviously. The writing in the illustration is how it appeared from the nib, although the purple tone certainly shows up in writing when compared to the greener tones of Oster Graphite. :-)

And how it appears to you IRL will be different to how I perceive the colour. If it's "not as good" then........what? :-)

Lovely painting and ink. If it wasn't so darned expensive to ship I'd certainly consider it. Maybe when a US vendor starts carrying it....

Lovely painting and ink. If it wasn't so darned expensive to ship I'd certainly consider it. Maybe when a US vendor starts carrying it....

Vanness Pens in Arkansas has most of the Oster colors in stock. I got the two colors I wanted last week.

Vanness Pens in Arkansas has most of the Oster colors in stock. I got the two colors I wanted last week.

Oh! Thank you. Purple Rock and School Blue are now at the top of my 'To Buy' list.

Oh! Thank you. Purple Rock and School Blue are now at the top of my 'To Buy' list.

Federalist Papers also had Purple Rock.