Paper Storage V Pen V Ink V Comprehensive Storage In An Office

goatgolfer

While I am enamored with the pen display, ink display, and desk displays of them,( I am confounded with an equivalently stylish and practical storage of sheet paper in office use sizes (8.5x11, A4, A5, A6, B5) sheet and inventory of notebooks. Used and full filing/storage paper and notebooks is a matter for another post.

Any suggestions on an "at hand" cache for near the office and a "within minutes" storage inventory system. I use ~3 sheet paper styles in Japanese and US sizes, with cards and envelopes included, as well as Rhodia, Clairfontaine, Muju, and ~5 others that would be "within minutes" since I don't instantly finish a notebook.

Since my paper investment is well beyond my ink and I change papers/stationery far more often for their appropriate use a proper storage vessel/system to maintain the integrity of the stationery is important. I have been using an office supply file storage box but the cardboard container and the stacking have not been ideal.

I would show you my pics of my system but it's a file box and a bookshelf. Looking for better.

Best wishes from the Goat

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• goatgolfer

• stonezebra

• Octo

How about keeping the bulk of your paper in the box and using that to stock a set of stacking in-out trays for more immediate use?

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Depending on how the writing surface (desk, table, lapdesk, etc.) is set up there are a number of different ways to handle this. At home I have a writing desk that I can but don't use often enough. In that, I can just keep different papers in the drawers. It gets more challenging using other things. I usually keep one or two styles with me. For example, I lug A4 Rhodia in blank and either dot pad or grid as well as perhaps one other style and a few envelopes to the office with me daily. Also a few pens. Usually I will use 4-6 on a daily basis. Sometimes fewer and seldom more. But I keep about 10 inked.

Right now I also have at least one pad of Basildon Bond, some lined Clairefontaine Triomphe, and a Japanese paper. Not sure of the manufacturer. Those are smaller than A4, with the CT a A5, BB smaller than that and the other a B size I think.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have been very happy using Walmart's Mainstays bookshelf:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Home-12-Shelf-Bookcase/38317401

88bf67d0-4fa1-4c03-81f5-90df4271d7ad_1.e

I had to replace my storage following a house fire. I chose this line because it is available in black or white, and can be used horizontally (like a credenza) or vertically. It is more attractive in real life. It has a variety of cubbies that are great for paper storage, paperweights, nice bookends, pen storage boxes, and the like.

It took 20 minutes to put together and is under $50.

Edited by Todlee

I'm trying to think of how Kinkos/Fedex do it... It seems to be cubbies without the sliding drawers. I guess Tweel just stated the obvious. A paper in/out box tray(s) on the bookshelf. Thanks for the inputs. Original containers for wholesale storage.

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....

Check local used furniture or antique shops for the drawer insert for old metal tanker desks. You're looking for a metal thing 3 or 4 inches tall with some slanted shelves. They allow easy access to frequently used papers.

My backup papers are in an old sheet music cabinet.

Edited to add:

Sometimes folks who don't recognize the desk drawer stationery organizer for what it is, misidentify it. Here's an example. To see the drawer insert as it should be seen, look at the picture upside down!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OFFICE-CURMANCO-METAL-WALL-HANGING-FILE-ORGANIZER-WALL-POCKET-/252466640982?hash=item3ac82f3856:g:T0YAAOSwbsBXjV32

Edited by Octo

I was just at Ikea yesterday and they had a cool paper holder that would display stationery. Alas, I don't think it would work well here in Nevada because we have a lot of dust. I also saw cool stuff at the container store.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Dust? Now one more thing to take into consideration for at hand storage. Now I am leaning toward one of those inexpensive Harbor Freight tool drawer setups. More complicated than expected. Thanks for the inputs

Dust? Now one more thing to take into consideration for at hand storage. Now I am leaning toward one of those inexpensive Harbor Freight tool drawer setups. More complicated than expected. Thanks for the inputs

Those are AWESOME.

Or Antique dental cabinets.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

How about something like this? They're stackable. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Classroom-Keepers-Construction-Storage-001316/dp/B001I1J6VO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471217380&sr=8-1&keywords=Paper+Storage+Racks

Try typing in 'paper storage racks' and you'll find lots of ideas.

Bingo:

Also the Amberleadavis idea of dental cabinets is interesting to me in a professional office. Thanks for the ideas.

See, I think one of these would look great with my potion cabinets.

IG1091-1.jpg

Exaclty! I am going to start looking now. I figure in 50 years, I will find one at a price I can afford.