Omas Information

MANUPENS

I understand that Kenro still has the North American distribution rights to Omas. Manupens is not allowed to encroach on Kenro's territory.

I've been told that Kenro has inventory. I wrote them a couple of times about sales - a few weeks ago - but haven't had a response. I probably should ask through Classic Pens.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FriendAmos

• intrepidcva11

• MANUPENS

• Arctic_Wolf

Correct, not odd at all. When you set up an account at eBay or other stores you often have a universal sales condition statement that appears on all items. Since all except the very limited Omas pens can be sold into the US the blanket statement is inaccurate for those items. Not odd at all, unfortunate and perhaps we might wish it were otherwise but in all, no big deal.

Universal statement? Wrong again. It is actually not very hard to remove the one-line statement about shipping to the USA. Nor is it hard to add an explicit statement to the effect that they won't ship certain pens to the USA. Especially when they are putting up only 10 or so OMAS pens each week.

stylomaniak actually does both right here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMAS-MIKU-ROLLER-FABULOUS-PEN-PROTOTYPE-/162185796951?hash=item25c306dd57:g:CpMAAOSw9IpXxq2C

So, here is what is odd: Some OMAS pens that they have put up have not had such disclaimers, and people looking at just such ads have no way of knowing about this "OMAS restriction".

Edited by FriendAmos

Universal statement? Wrong again. It is actually not very hard to remove the one-line statement about shipping to the USA. Nor is it hard to add an explicit statement to the effect that they won't ship certain pens to the USA. Especially when they are putting up only 10 or so OMAS pens each week.

stylomaniak actually does both right here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMAS-MIKU-ROLLER-FABULOUS-PEN-PROTOTYPE-/162185796951?hash=item25c306dd57:g:CpMAAOSw9IpXxq2C

So, here is what is odd: Some OMAS pens that they have put up have not had such disclaimers, and people looking at just such ads have no way of knowing about this "OMAS restriction".

Okay. Still I see nothing odd.

My Website

I understand that Kenro still has the North American distribution rights to Omas. Manupens is not allowed to encroach on Kenro's territory.

I've been told that Kenro has inventory. I wrote them a couple of times about sales - a few weeks ago - but haven't had a response. I probably should ask through Classic Pens.

If Kenro have a distribution agreement and a contract for that with Omas, and Omas is now bankrupted, there are no rights of territorial exclusivity for Kenro.

Maybe Manupens want to respect and protect Kenro for other reasons.

This is the message I got from Manu:

dear Craig
thanks for your message
the fact we do not ship to USA doesn t means you cannot buy the pen you are lookong for.
l encourage you to contact kenro and they will supply you
they are nice people and have long expérience as omas distributor for years and years
manu
I tried contacting Kenro about a few specific models but have had no replies.

This is the message I got from Manu:

dear Craig

thanks for your message

the fact we do not ship to USA doesn t means you cannot buy the pen you are lookong for.

l encourage you to contact kenro and they will supply you

they are nice people and have long expérience as omas distributor for years and years

manu

I tried contacting Kenro about a few specific models but have had no replies.

It is not said here that he cannot ship to Usa, but only that he don't ship to Usa. Is different.

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on when Omasoutlet.com will be available?

And, whether pens listed there will be available to US buyers?

I'd love to know when the website is up!

Also, Manupens, do you also have spare parts/conduct repairs? I've an Ogiva with a cracked nib collar (a common fault I've heard) and it needs replacing...

My Vintages:

Sheaffer Triumph, Saratoga, Targa Slim and Targa Standard; Waterman 3V and 52 1/2V; Mabie Todd Swan Self Filler x 2; Eagle Unbreakable in sterling silver; Eversharp Bantam; Parker Duofold Lucky Curve BCHR and Duofold in red hard rubber; Spors Co. glass nib pens x 4; Conklin 2NL and 20P.

Dear Friends and Pen Collectors
This note is to inform you all that after almost a year of negotiations with Omas pen company, through its Chinese owner, we finally reached an agreement and purchased all of Omas stocks and basic materials that will allow us to remake the superb celluloid pens manufactured by Omas since 1925. No doubt, those great celluloid colors are the identity of Omas for all of its pen collectors.
I cannot help but reflect on Armando Simoni, Raffalella Malaguti and their son Gianluca Simoni Malaguti, for their great work since 1925.
My respect for them! One day, I will make an special edition dedicated to "Simoni Malaguti family" in their honor, I promise.
Although, I must say this acquisition is a bit disproportionate compared to what we already did with Wahl-Eversharp and Conway Stewart, to be honest, it is the riskiest financial operation of my life.
We must remember that Omas has lost more than $10 million the last 8 years and LVMH group between 2001 and 2007 lost $5 million.
However, in both cases, the company management was incompatible with their size and so I am convinced, that the only way forward is a "family business" management style.
But with all the efforts I have put into this new venture, nothing will be possible without the support of pen collectors
In order to provide an adequate capital, I'll put online very soon a website called omasoutlet.com, where we will sell all Omas pens (more than 2,000 limited series pens included) new in their boxes. Of course, we should sell at a discount between 30% and 70% off the retail price.
My dear friends, when it comes to pen collectors, others brands call you a "niche." I call you my base. I count on you.
Manu

This is wonderful news. I acquired my first Omas, a Galileo Galilei, at FPH in New York City when they were first introduced in the U.S. (it is still uninked and new-in-box), have another Galileo as my daily user pen and have since had several 'standard' black Paragons. A decade or so later I became friends with David Marks, owner of Marcovici Designs in Cambridge (Boston) Mass., then the Omas importer/distributor in the U.S. Through David I was privileged once to meet Gianluca Simoni Malaguti in New York. Bravo, Manu, and may the fountain pen gods shower blessings on you!

Does anyone know the date when Omas began supplying the Paragon fountain pens introduced in the 1990s with

the small roller clips on their caps?

If this exclusion of the US market applies to the upcoming omasoutlet.com as well I will be most disappointed.

If US residents are NOT allowed to bid, purchase or receive shipment of an Omas pen selling on Ebay, I doubt there would be any difference in his "outlet policy." I think his original intent was CLEAR, when he said this was a way to reimburse the cost of his purchase. Those of us in the US who loved & regretted not being able to purchase Omas pens thought we were to be included in that plan when apparently enough "reimbursement money rolled in, without our contribution being necessary."

But Omas is "still gone" for us unless we can move to a country which includes shipment. The closing of the doors on Omas almost seems sadder when you see those pens still selling & available, just not to US citizens. I was first excited, then confused, now I am merely "over it." I am grateful to dealers like Regina Martini & Marco Novelli who are still willing to sell & ship products to the United States.

Edited by Barkingpig

"The closing of the doors on Omas almost seems sadder when you see those pens still selling & available, just not to US citizens. "

Citizenship has nothing to do with it, only residence. I am a US citizen residing outside the US. Provided I had the money and desire, I can order from them. Non USCs living in the US also can not receive from them.

"The closing of the doors on Omas almost seems sadder when you see those pens still selling & available, just not to US citizens. "

Citizenship has nothing to do with it, only residence. I am a US citizen residing outside the US. Provided I had the money and desire, I can order from them. Non USCs living in the US also can not receive from them.

You are of course correct & I apologise for not checking my post for accuracy. I will try to remember to be more careful if I post again.

I'd like to point out that there are any number of proxy shipment services in Europe and elsewhere that would be happy to forward the pen to customers in the US. It does mean that VAT and an extra shipping leg are assessed, though.

On the Hunt For:

1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)

2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator

3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

Hey, still very excited for the OmasOutlet.com, but I've not seen it up. You said beginning of Sept. in the post, is there any estimate on when it'll be up?

Definitely a great news, best wishes for you and for the re-born brand. Looking forward to that sale!

It may be worth to have a look at my classifieds :)

I'd love to know when the website is up!

Also, Manupens, do you also have spare parts/conduct repairs? I've an Ogiva with a cracked nib collar (a common fault I've heard) and it needs replacing...

I think nibs.com might be able to help.