Help With (Edward) Todd Pen Details

Hello - it appears Edward Todd topics are acceptable here as well. I've done some searching but so far haven't been able to find out much beyond generic company information on the pen below. Can anyone help out with more approximate dating, model info, etc?

Also, I can't easily determine the nib material so I'm not sure how far to take it trying to clean it up.

fpn_1469905874__img_todd.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greenie

• rbrummer

• Cob

• sidthecat

Top Posters In This Topic

We are a casual corner of the FPN. The moderators are actually "facilitators", and it is a "research/special interest forum/group". Mabie Todd and Bard, Mabie Todd, New York, England, sometimes were the same companies and sometimes were different companies. The was the basis for our request for this group.

So, welcome to our little part of the Fountain Pen Nut House! And feel free to take advantage of our blurry boundaries!

I am not the expert in all the comings and goings of the various Mabies, the various Todds, and the later owners.

On to your question

Edward Todd pens are generally nice quality, and should have a 14K nib, unless it is a replacement. Could you show a picture of the nib imprint?

Is the pen a lever filler or an eyedropper?

Based purely on the overall style, this is most similar to pens from 1915 through the 1920s, and the clip bears a striking resemblance to Hicks.

Greenie, first thanks for your assistance. My guess (aside from the nib) is based solely on some other posts here which should a strikingly similar lever filled pen, albeit a ringtop. Yes, this is the lever filling variety. Prior to Wednesday I'd never heard of Edward Todd & Co.

I'm attaching two pictures here (sorry the best I can do with the equipment I have on hand) - the first of the nib. I've been reluctant to clean up more than some very gentle soap and water as there is no indicator of the material and I have rubbed off plating before.

The 2nd picture is of the sterling hallmark. Other than the initials, the only other mark on the pen. It doesn't look exactly like the Edward Todd pen's imprint I saw in other pictures so you may be correct.

fpn_1469972102__img_0071.jpg

fpn_1469972081__img_0075.jpg

In brief, Edward Todd was the Todd of Mabie Todd; the partnership was formed in 1860 and dissolved in 1868; the new Mabie Todd partnership included Henry Todd!

Edward Todd's company begain in 1871/2 and after his death in (I think) the 1890s, the business was continued by his son until the company closed in 1932.

(Information from Mabie in America by Davis Moak)

Cob

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

That will be a high quality 14 K nib. It is rare to see so much tipping left on a nib so old! And it is set in a high quality sterling pen.

I can't do much more for ID. As a lever filler pen of this design, it is typical of the 1920s pens by Wahl, Mabie Todd, Hicks.

I am not aware of an easy source of primary literature.

I searched for my favorite Google source - The American Stationer. It had been scanned by Google and is searchable. Only a 1909 ad for Edward Todd Nibs was easily found.

You can also search Google for Edward Todd Pen and then click the images tab. You will see (in addition to dip pens), primarily ring tops in Sterling and 14K gold. The early ones are eyedropper and later are lever fill.

Your pen looks like the pen version of the Edward Todd combo at PeytonStreetPens ****for sale right now**** (hopefully then they will be OK with me using their images!), but these are thought to have been made by Hicks and then sometimes hallmarked by others (such as LT& Sons). Note the hallmark shown. I think it is a match. Yours has the bottom cut off a little.

fpn_1469985908__todd_sterling_combo_1.jp

fpn_1469985927__todd_sterling_combo_5_ha

Here's an Edward Todd eye-dropper I have. It is called The Traveller (presumably not in an aircraft!!)

fpn_1461771580__edward_todd_traveller_4.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Thanks everyone for all of the assistance and pointers. First, yes that Peyton Street Pens model looks very very similar right down to the hallmark; the engraving is a little more elaborate in terms of the number of lines.

After your encouragement, I've now applied a bit more elbow grease to the main body of the pen and the appearance has improved measurably. I've also dipped it and I'd describe it as reasonably flexible although not especially smooth.

I'm now going to be left with the conundrum of just leaving it as is or trying to improve it/restore it to full working order. I don't have a lot of experience with these older pens and it seems it depends on the collector as to which way they prefer them. I'm leaning towards nothing in this case because yes, the nib does seem to be in surprisingly good shape although the body has quite a few (tiny) dents

I'm also feeling rather thick on the Mabie Todd front. I'm ashamed to admit I actually own that book but usually skip to the back bits because my usual area of interest is exciting celluloids from the UK. I wasn't even aware that Mabie Todd wasn't somebody's name. So I've now read the front part of the story about Edward - thanks for that reference, too.

So after all of this, we pointed you to your own library! Glad to have helped!

If it has a bunch of small dents, just polish it up, re-sac it and enjoy. In my opinion, only certain highly sought after and pristine pens are worth preserving as specimens. The rest are better cleaned up and used as intended.

Another source of info on these pens - from David Nishimura's blog

http://vintagepensblog.blogspot.com/2015/03/lt-louis-tiffany.html

Excerpt

"Another question regards who manufactured what and for whom. A number of New York companies offered virtually identical all-metal combos and pencils in this era, including Louis Tamis, Edward Todd, Hicks, and Twinpoint. These combos and pencils are also found marked with the names of high-end retailers such as Cartier and Tiffany. Only Hicks and Edward Todd held actual pen and pencil patents, and on balance the evidence favors Hicks as the ultimate maker of all these writing instruments."

• 1 month later...

I've managed to accumulate three Edward Todds: all ringtops. My sterling one has a somewhat battered stubbish nib that still manages to be a graceful writer. I also have a tiny BCHR and a gold-filled model with a Greek key pattern in enamel.

They all write dry, I notice, so I'm going to switch them to wetter ink.