Suggestions On A First Fountain Pen For My Minimalist Dad?

Meethil

I think a minamalist can still appreciate and enjoy expensive items. It may just mean they would prefer a JLC ultra thin gold watch that has no seconds or date to a Brietling Chronograph.

When you add frugality into the mix that is an altogether more difficult person to buy for as they might not appreciate the JLC as much as a Sekonda.

Nothing wrong with either preference.

If your Dad is frugal as well as minimalist I suspect - as someone else suggests above - he might not appreciate a fountain pen at all?

I appreciate it is difficult for you when you want to do something special. Good luck.

I think I might go for a black/blue/red trio of safaris, with a pen case to keep them neat and tidy and a box of cartridges in each of the 3 colours to match the pen.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Meethil

• gweimer1

• Bluey

• Rednaxela

Lamy 2000 was the first that came to mind but I think I'll suggest a Platinum 3776 Century Nice Pur or Sai. How about a Pilot Falcon?

Lamy 2000.

If he does not like it then you have a Lamy 2000.

Can't lose. :D

X

Pilot Vanishing Point Matte Black fountain pen. It's designed to be minimalist and understated. It's clickable so it works like a regular ball point (no cap to take on or off), and it can use either cartridges or a converter so no fussing with bottled ink if he doesn't want to. My only reason to think he won't like it is that it doesn't have a particularly thick grip although it's at least as wide around as a standard ballpoint pen if not a little more.

As an alternative, I also suggest a Pilot Custom 845. This is in every sense a luxury pen and yet is minimalist and conservative in design and is still within your budget. In fact it's so "boring" that some on this forum have criticized this pen as being Pilot's "sad flagship" pen. It really is not. What it is is conservative and understated but made from quality materials not found in ordinary production pens: ebonite body which feels warm in the hand, unique urushi lacquer, and a gold nib which is a beautiful slightly soft and responsive writer. This too can be used with either cartridges or a converter. It is also thicker in diameter than the Vanishing Point.

If frugality is also a prime factor then I suggest either a Pilot Metropolitan in black or a Platinum Plasir in black.

Good luck in your search.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

A somewhat out of the ordinary suggestion that I believe meets most if not all of your requirements would be an ST Dupont Ellipsis in the black resin instead of the metal body.

It has a fairly broad section, is very light, pure minimalist design, fills with either Standard International cartridges or a converter, superb nib, perfect balance posted or unposted, slip on cap, total reliability and meticulous attention to detail inside and out. It is a large pen and available in either the gold or platinum hardware.

My Website

I think a minamalist can still appreciate and enjoy expensive items. It may just mean they would prefer a JLC ultra thin gold watch that has no seconds or date to a Brietling Chronograph.

When you add frugality into the mix that is an altogether more difficult person to buy for as they might not appreciate the JLC as much as a Sekonda.

Nothing wrong with either preference.

If your Dad is frugal as well as minimalist I suspect - as someone else suggests above - he might not appreciate a fountain pen at all?

I appreciate it is difficult for you when you want to do something special. Good luck.

I think I might go for a black/blue/red trio of safaris, with a pen case to keep them neat and tidy and a box of cartridges in each of the 3 colours to match the pen.

I agree with da vincin. From the description of your Dad's frugality you may well gift him a pen he may never use. After all gathering from a number of members experiences there is no guarantee that any fountain pen no matter the price would work reliably without some attention required, i.e. nib adjustment as one example, or something else once out of the box the first time it's inked and put to paper, or thereafter come to that! Which would give your Dad reason to abandon it and never use it again and carry on with whatever writing instrument comes to his hand for his occasional use!

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

If a fountain pen is not a good idea, how about a mechanical pencil - the Pental Kerry is a nice one, and it comes with a cap which makes it more portable.

Alternatively there's a whole range of decent ball points or roller balls which you can also personalise by getting them engraved. A nice pen, is still a nice pen whatever form it takes.

Or you could go for a matching set - a fp/ballpoint or ballpoint/mechanical pencil combination. Cross and Parker have sets. Then your father has a choice, and a nice gift box to keep them in.

What's the price range?

I see lots of suggestions for Lamy 2000s, but personally I think that the Dialog 3 much better embodies clean Bauhaus lines.

On the high end, the Nakaya Titanium Piccolo is all business.

Edited by kenshiro

On the Hunt For:

1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)

2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator

3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

I'm going to chime in on the Pilot Vanishing Point. I almost mentioned it the first time. It will give him the familiarity and feel of a ballpoint, with the experience of a nice fountain pen.

There's a maker on Etsy who calls himself Simple Is Beautiful. They're supremely minimalist...I don't know what nibs they've got in them, but they're pretty things.

If a fountain pen is not a good idea, how about a mechanical pencil - the Pental Kerry is a nice one, and it comes with a cap which makes it more portable.

Alternatively there's a whole range of decent ball points or roller balls which you can also personalise by getting them engraved. A nice pen, is still a nice pen whatever form it takes.

Or you could go for a matching set - a fp/ballpoint or ballpoint/mechanical pencil combination. Cross and Parker have sets. Then your father has a choice, and a nice gift box to keep them in.

I know that my dad used to use mechanical pencils a lot especially back in the days he was a student, it's a thing in Korea and most students use them.

That's partly why I'm willing to think he will be able to cope(?) with the added fuss that comes with a fountain pen, since he was used to using a mechanical pencil (which IS more fussier than just a pencil right?) Although an FP does have many more quotidian rituals compared to a mech. pencil...

Unfortunately some of the pens suggested aren't available domestically in Korea. I believe most ST Dupont fountain pens are not available in Korea and so are the Nakaya pens.. :(

In case the nib is faulty or if my dad needs maintenance on the pen, I would prefer a brand that is in Korea so that I can rely on customer service and what not.

I am currently leaning towards the Vanishing point and Lamy 2000.

But what bugs me is that the Vanishing Point has a much lower ink capacity, which means he will have to ink up or change cartridges more often. Whilst the Lamy 2000 has a beautiful piston filler.

I think the trick is to get my dad to like the appearance, design of the pen, convince him that it is a very functional and effective pen, and basically make the pen stick to his mind and hand a bit.

If he gets to write with the pen just enough (even if it's just out of curiosity) I'm sure the nib and ink will do the persuading part. (Hoping)

kenshiro, I agree the Dialog 3 is an epitome of clean bauhaus lines. Minimalist, though? I am not so sure. That is one imposing pen. :)

If he liked it though, I think he might love it.

X

Also, perhaps not minimalist, but for a Korean dad, I might suggest the Sailor 훈민정음 (naver pen cafe LE, if I recall).

http://pengall100.img10.kr/multi_image/data/1/0038_00008.jpg

More than you're looking to spend, but when I saw it at Kyobo, my jingoistic heart lusted for it like no other pen. Didn't end up pulling the trigger though.

On the Hunt For:

1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)

2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator

3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

I am currently leaning towards the Vanishing point and Lamy 2000.

But what bugs me is that the Vanishing Point has a much lower ink capacity, which means he will have to ink up or change cartridges more often. Whilst the Lamy 2000 has a beautiful piston filler.

Lamy tends to write a broader line than stated so the extra ink provided by the piston filler isn't going to be that much compared to a vanishing Point in EF plus cartridge. In fact it may turn out that the VP ink supply lasts longer.

Ink capacity of Lamy 2000 = 1.4ml

Ink capacity of Pilot cartridge = 1ml

Edited by Bluey

Would the fact that the Lamy has been an industrial design icon for half a century help him appreciate the gift more? Or perhaps: appreciate it despite the fact that it might not awake the FP aficionado in him?

~ Alexander

Also, perhaps not minimalist, but for a Korean dad, I might suggest the Sailor 훈민정음 (naver pen cafe LE, if I recall).

http://pengall100.img10.kr/multi_image/data/1/0038_00008.jpg

More than you're looking to spend, but when I saw it at Kyobo, my jingoistic heart lusted for it like no other pen. Didn't end up pulling the trigger though.

The Sailor 훈민정음 is definitely an exquisite pen with an important historical meaning, but it's way out of my price range! :P

Would the fact that the Lamy has been an industrial design icon for half a century help him appreciate the gift more? Or perhaps: appreciate it despite the fact that it might not awake the FP aficionado in him?

and yes definitely! My dad does have an affinity for works of art, he does especially appreciate architectural works etc...

It's that part of him I'm hoping to target with the gift, so the fact that Lamy holds that reputation does help.

Get him a restored aerometric Parker "51" with a basic lustraloy cap and a large bottle of either J. Herbin Perle Noire, Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, or Noodler's Heart of Darkness. A plain black Parker "51" with a fine nib is relatively simple thing to fill. You unscrew the barrel, dip the tip about 1/4" into ink, squeeze the press plate, release for a five-count, and repeat until no bubbles come up on the squeeze. Then you screw the barrel back on, wipe the hood, and you're ready to go.

Like your dad, my dad was something of a minimalist, and a southpaw. He used a black "51" in fine for well over twenty years, including nine years of earning his bachelor's degree and I've never really heard how long it took him to get his Master's. It is a very sleek and minimalistic design, it's a miser with the ink, and it writes like an absolute champ. Many will readily argue that it's the best instrument ever designed for laying down lines of ink on paper.

I persuaded my mother to find that pen after my dad died, and all it took for me to get it going (after it had sat in a drawer for around twenty years) was to flush with water and fill with ink.

Celesul's suggestion of a Parker 45 could also suit well.

Both pens are long out of production, and would likely have to be purchased on Ebay or the classified ads here. They both sold in the tens if not hundreds of millions, so multiple exemplars should be available for under $100USD.

Consider a handmade indian or japanese ebonite with minimalistic lines and simple eye dropper setup. Alternatively, vintage may appeal to him, such as a nice restored oversized sheaffer flat top, sheaffer balance or parker duofold from the 1920s and 1930s. Any of those should easily fall into your price range. Good luck and kudos to you for taking all this time and effort picking out nice gifts for your mom and dad.

I don't think that somebody who doesn't already want a fountain pen would enjoy being given one as a gift.

But there are plenty of good options for non-fountain pen users. Lamy 2000 ballpoint pens come in a variety of special finishes, for example. I've given a Montblanc 146 ballpoint pen and a Safari Rollerball to non-fountain pen users, and they were very happy!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang