Chrissy

If I have to purchase a special tool to open a bottle, I would rather purchase a product that isn't hard to open. That is my standard for all sorts of packages from food to cosmetics. Even a grip can be hard to manipulate. So despite having a fondness for Diamine, there are plenty of other inks on the market with caps and bottles that are manageable. At least in the U.S., the population is aging. Companies don't have to take that into consideration, but those that do, will reap the rewards.

From an aesthetic standpoint, I found the form of the old cap to be attractive. The new one, not so much. Maybe the old cap would not fit the new bottle. But gold? Black would have been my preference. Neutral and simple especially in contrast to the complex label. The label and cap compete so your eye does not know where to land. It's a basic design principle that wasn't applied to the new packaging.

I see what you are saying about rather getting a product that is easy to open to begin with. And I agree that the cap isn't as good as the old one. However, I'm mostly in the school of thought that purchases bottles of ink for the ink, rather than the bottle. I have of course purchased empty bottles before to decant inks into. Inks bottles like Noodlers for example leave something to be desired in the aesthetic area so they get decanted into MB bottles.

But as you said, getting an empty bottle sometimes requires an additional purchase unless you already have one lying around, and doesn't help at all if you can't open the bottle-to-be-decanted initially.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• The Good Captain

• Tas

• Noihvo

Whatever views anyone has on the cap, it isn't even remotely 'hard to open.' In fact it's really easy to open. I know this for a fact because I have opened some, and I would be willing to bet that none of the people complaining about the caps or the bottles, have actually tried to open any yet. :)

I purchase ink for the ink and the bottle, and I wouldn't need to decant any of my 80ml bottles of Diamine ink into any other bottles.

lol, now I feel like an old geezer.

I've felt that way since my youngest turned 18. :D

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

I've felt that way since my youngest turned 18. :D

I felt like that when I turned 18, and that was a few years ago :D :D

As for the bottles, I have yet to try one, but doubt very much that I'll have any issues with them.

For looks, I like them.

I'm so happy to see that they have changed the labels for the 30ml bottles as well:

fpn_1470726372__p1020323.jpg

I wonder how long the old bottles/labels are going to last, and that retailers sell them off first. Such a waste otherwise.

And regarding the bottle caps; I wonder how many on the thread who say (n.b. say, not wonder/is worried) that the caps are hard to open, have really had one of the very new bottles in their hands…

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

I'm so happy to see that they have changed the labels for the 30ml bottles as well: Me too!

I wonder how long the old bottles/labels are going to last, and that retailers sell them off first. Such a waste otherwise. I expect they will sell the older ones first

And regarding the bottle caps; I wonder how many on the thread who say (n.b. say, not wonder/is worried) that the caps are hard to open, have really had one of the very new bottles in their hands… Probably none.

Thanks for posting that picture. I haven't seen any 30ml bottles with new labels yet. I hope to change that very soon. :D

I got it as a bonus when ordering from La Couronne de Comte. As usual, they had to backorder, and this time it was a bit longer that usual, and things didn't start to stir until I prodded them. So I didn't order this ink specifically. It is very similar to J. Herbin Prairie Green. Is it a new colour for Diamine?

"We are one."

Spring Green - what's this?

I think Chrissy included this ink when she posted the four inks Diamine had recently renamed. I believe "Spring" Green is the ink formerly known as "LIGHT" Green.

fpn_1470732477__p1020325.jpg

Colour adjusted to match what I see, though your monitors may vary.

"We are one."

I'm so happy to see that they have changed the labels for the 30ml bottles as well:

fpn_1470726372__p1020323.jpg

I wonder how long the old bottles/labels are going to last, and that retailers sell them off first. Such a waste otherwise.

And regarding the bottle caps; I wonder how many on the thread who say (n.b. say, not wonder/is worried) that the caps are hard to open, have really had one of the very new bottles in their hands…

Think about this: How many people will buy these newer bottles for testing if the new cap is easy to open?

After that, think about how many people will not buy these never bottles because the caps may be hard to open, and thus at worst totally useless waste of money.

Is that fair for Diamine? No, it isn't, but that's how it will go for some people. Myself included. Be it arthritis, muscle weakness or neurological problems. I'll buy one, when I need more ink, but I have enough problems opening the older bottles so I am really not keen on these new ones.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

Think about this: How many people will buy these newer bottles for testing if the new cap is easy to open?

After that, think about how many people will not buy these never bottles because the caps may be hard to open, and thus at worst totally useless waste of money.

Is that fair for Diamine? No, it isn't, but that's how it will go for some people. Myself included. Be it arthritis, muscle weakness or neurological problems. I'll buy one, when I need more ink, but I have enough problems opening the older bottles so I am really not keen on these new ones.

fpn_1470828250__img_2154.jpg

fpn_1470828278__img_2155.jpg

"We are one."

I think Chrissy included this ink when she posted the four inks Diamine had recently renamed. I believe "Spring" Green is the ink formerly known as "LIGHT" Green.

Yes Light Green was one of the 4 that changed.

Actually, I'm not young, and I do have a problem with my hands. Dupuytren's Syndrome. I have still never had a problem opening one of the new Diamine bottles nor one of the old ones. If you can open a bottle of ink with a plastic cap, I can't see any reason why you should not be able to open one of these new caps.

I think that any suggestion that Diamine might lose business because users might think they can't open the caps on their bottles is just illogical.

I also think that to suggest that people might consider buying a new bottle if anyone but me reports that they can open one is a suggestion of some sort of impropriety on my part, to which I take offence.

Actually, I'm not young, and I do have a problem with my hands. Dupuytren's Syndrome. I have still never had a problem opening one of the new Diamine bottles nor one of the old ones. If you can open a bottle of ink with a plastic cap, I can't see any reason why you should not be able to open one of these new caps.

I think that any suggestion that Diamine might lose business because users might think they can't open the caps on their bottles is just illogical.

I also think that to suggest that people might consider buying a new bottle if anyone but me reports that they can open one is a suggestion of some sort of impropriety on my part, to which I take offence.

I don't believe anyone meant to offend. It is nice to hear that you didn't have issues with the cap. Perhaps it will assure others as well. 😃.

I respectfully disagree with your point that it is illogical to suggest Diamine might lose business because people might think their bottles are difficult to open. From the views of people on this forum, there seems to be genuine worry about being able to open the product. Whether those worries are warranted or not, I could definitely see it translating into lower sales for Diamine.

Quote: "I would love to hear reports from anyone that has had their hands on them, other than Chrissy" is not meant to cause offence? I would never dream of saying that about anyone. :(

So going from what you say then, all ink companies might lose business because some ink users just won't buy their inks, because they think they won't be able to open their bottles? i.e. they aren't prepared to even try one, to see if they can open it? Then that must always have been the case, and it has nothing to do with these specific bottles or caps. Yes we have to differ on that one. :mellow:

I never heard anyone complaining about the Diamine bottles before they were changed; I likewise NEVER heard ANYONE extolling their VIRTUES, "I only buy DIAMINE ink because it has such a NICE & user friendly cap!" Seriously, a company that has been in business a VERY long time was ONLY successful because of the CAPS on their ink bottles? (J Herbin HAS been "raked over the coals" as long as I have been interested in ink, FOR their bottle, yet they have been selling ink for an EVEN longer time than Diamine.)

The old bottles are GONE, the new packaging is going to please some users in SOME ways & annoy OTHERS in different ways but I believe ink lovers will manage to "make do." I think we are a hardy bunch, we search out & pay premium prices for inks that were "withdrawn from the market," by their OWN manufacturer, chase after & admire inks that differ ONLY by a nuance, willingly purchase with difficulty & @ sometimes great expense, "new" offerings from an ink company we do NOT even know or seen a sample of; surely we can adapt to a different bottle/cap from a company that has made so much great ink for so many years?

I have always HATED the smaller Diamine bottle but I just bought the larger ones to get a glass bottle which also had more ink & for not a lot more $. I would hope that the same persons who add phenol to preserve their ink, purchase Photo-Flo to increase the flow of their ink, purchase different nibs for their pens, tune & have adjusted same, explore different papers for use will be able to adapt to a change of packaging.

There are plenty of empty Diamine bottles for sale @ Anderson Pens for 25 cents each; I bought some from the Goulets for decanting Chesterfield ink from their plastic bottles.

@Noihvo:

I see where you are coming from, and I don't have a problem with that. Your point is understandable, but just a hint idealistic.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)