How To Fill This?

Ray_NEMBFV

Mailman again. It's a Waterman, but I've never seen an eye dropper like this. I presume I know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway since I'm out of ideas. I need a syringe, right? I'm a diabetic and I had to order a stupid syringe from Goulet! - I switched to pens two years ago, don't even has an emergency stash.

I dipped it and the flex is fun. I just gotta fill it. I'm open to any ideas that won't ruin my wife's carpet...

post-127839-0-46828400-1469571255_thumb.jpeg

post-127839-0-79504000-1469571325_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• Ray_NEMBFV

• drop_m

• AD64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice nib ! Is the "reservoir" removable ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Sorry, yes, the glass cartridge has a rubber "nipple" on the end and does separate from the section. It does roll back, a little, but I didn't want to roll it off for the sake of a little extra room. I found some pipettes on Amazon for a couple of bucks (not that I want to wait that long, but I found them and ordered them). There's just not a lot of room in the opening of the cartridge.... Is a great flex nib....

Excellent !

The insulin syringe holds less ink than the ones from Goulet, and the tiny needle is slower in delivering liquid. However, they should function acceptably for ink delivery into the cartridge.

My first refilling syringe came from a diabetic coworker. After six months of use, I broke the fragile needle. It's worth a try, is it not ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Interesting read

It's one of the first disposable cartridges, of glass, and would have been a throw away item. Like modern polyurethane cartridges they came in boxes of 6 or 8 or 10. There are also different lengths for different Waterman model pens.

They have a nipple end and push into the rubber seal. The mouth was sealed with a wax pellet which is pushed inside the cartridge as you can see with yours.

If the rubber seal has hardened with time it may be hard to remove or even bonded to the glass. You will have to go around it and ease it away.

Here is the end shape,

alternatively leave it in place and vacuum fill the pen,

These coffee storage vacuum pots can be purchased for about £14.

Another reference.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Glass catridges was produced in three sizes.

fpn_1469612324__51.jpg

fpn_1469612373__52.jpg

Mid size is the most popular and quite easy to buy.
I recently bought a whole pack of medium cartridge size
fpn_1469612874__22.jpg
regards

Nice pen and nib! As others have said, it's a cartridge pen - one of the first - so you've to pull out the glass cartridge and fill it with something.

By the way: Force, nice idea the MacGyver-coffee vacuum filler, really like it!

Interesting read

It's one of the first disposable cartridges, of glass, and would have been a throw away item. Like modern polyurethane cartridges they came in boxes of 6 or 8 or 10. There are also different lengths for different Waterman model pens.

They have a nipple end and push into the rubber seal. The mouth was sealed with a wax pellet which is pushed inside the cartridge as you can see with yours.

If the rubber seal has hardened with time it may be hard to remove or even bonded to the glass. You will have to go around it and ease it away.

Here is the end shape,

attachicon.gifDSCN0144.JPG

attachicon.gifGlassCartridges.jpg

alternatively leave it in place and vacuum fill the pen,

attachicon.gifDSCN0849.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0850.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0858.JPG

These coffee storage vacuum pots can be purchased for about £14.

The mind boggles. I would love a step-by-step description of how this works.

Thank you!

The mind boggles. I would love a step-by-step description of how this works.

Thank you!

Place the assembled nib section with glass cartridge into a bottle of ink and then place the bottle into the vacuum chamber. Using the supplied pump extract as much air as possible. The air inside the cartridge will bubble out through the ink leaving a partial vacuum inside. Letting air back into the chamber results in that partial vacuum being replaced by ink. These vacuum units cannot produce a pure vacuum but it's enough to produce a partial fill of ink.

Place the assembled nib section with glass cartridge into a bottle of ink and then place the bottle into the vacuum chamber. Using the supplied pump extract as much air as possible. The air inside the cartridge will bubble out through the ink leaving a partial vacuum inside. Letting air back into the chamber results in that partial vacuum being replaced by ink. These vacuum units cannot produce a pure vacuum but it's enough to produce a partial fill of ink.

That's applied physics for you.... :D

It will work! The better the vacuum, the better the fill.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

This makes me so happy to know. I'm now imagining this method could be used to fill all sorts of converters.

Thank you for showing me the light. Oh wait, light doesn't happen in a vacuum right? I may need another physics refresher course.

Awesome information! Thanks to all. I found later that there's a blind cap on the end of the barrel, so the cartridge comes out and goes in quite easily. I actually found a large syringe at my work (don't know what a large syringe is doing at a coffee plant, but my QA colleague had one). It worked great, but the nipple appears to be more a part of the glass cartridge than part of the pen (R. Binders article for replacement). But filled it and it works fantastically! Very responsive nib, and it seems to hold s good deal of ink for that type of pen (in general, a cartridge). Going from hairline to BB is really cool.

As i've said.. MacGyver-coffee vacuum filler! Really good idea :)

Edited by drop_m

That's applied physics for you.... :D

It will work! The better the vacuum, the better the fill.

D.ick

Yes, my last and final place of 'paid' work had commercial vacuum pump chambers for degassing moulding resins. I could draw them down enough to 97% fill a converter/cartridge.