• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drop_m

• kapanak

• Ron Z

• Sandy1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you tried using WD40 spray to soak the nib unit ?

I find it most useful for removing a lot of stains and marks and it will not damage your pen as it

Only fish oil really

Bramblewood

Have you tried using WD40 spray to soak the nib unit ?

I find it most useful for removing a lot of stains and marks and it will not damage your pen as it

Only fish oil really

Bramblewood

Unless this was a joke, please DO NOT USE WD-40 to clean pens' plastic parts :yikes:

I have no issues with somebody using it only on metal, but letting WD-40 near pen plastics that are sometimes over 50 years old? Bad idea. WD-40 is half organic solvents, and since pen plastics are organic polymers, using WD-40 on them can possibly lead to detrimental results.

Now, granted, I have used it to clean some pen parts in the past, but that was only after full disassembly, and only because a better cleaning agent wasn't immediately available.

I've experience with WD-40 in others situations and i don't think it's safe to apply on - or in - fountain pens.

Anyway, koh-i-noor pen cleaner arrived yesterday and i let the pen soaked in it all night long. All the visible india ink is gone - with the help of a toothbrush - and now the pen pulls up liquids using his aeromatic filler, which is a very good sign :)

I'll let it soacked for today and tonight and tomorrow i'll try to gently disassempli the hood

Since no more pieces of india ink has came off of the pen during this morning, i decided to try to disassemble the unit.
I've been able to unscrew the hood without troubles and found the collector almost clean.. maybe the situation wasn't all that bad as i thought and the precedent owner had "just" dipped the pen in india ink.

Now i will soak the different pieces in the cleaner and try to pull out all the remaining india ink from the collector and the hood.
Thank you all for the very good advices!

post-127243-0-44331300-1469891107_thumb.jpg

Hi,

:thumbup:

Rescuing a P51 is well worth the effort.

I look forward to a happy ending!

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I've finished to clean the collector and now it seems a brand new piece!

Now, waiting to have enought time to finish the work and mount all the pieces togheter, i've start to polish the cap and the hood/barrel. for now the gold cap is come out very well!

• 4 weeks later...

A little update just to say that everything is gone fine, now the pen is completely free of india ink, it fills as it should and writes as it should*
Thank you all guys for the wise advices!

*It writes.. now.. becouse i had to do an hell of a work on that nib! under all that india ink, his tip was right-bended and twisted! :yikes:
Maybe the last owner has filled it with india ink just for fun, because of the damage on the nib.. or maybe he/she has thrown the pen toward a wall after found it was completely clogged :D

Edited by drop_m