Parker 51 Clogged With India Ink

drop_m

I've found a Parker 51 in a eBay pen lot and seems to be clogged of what it seems to be india ink.

It's in really good conditions and i want to restore, it.. some advices on how to proceed?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drop_m

• kapanak

• joss

• Sandy1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately i've not(yet) an ultrasonic cleaner :(

There is any valid - and safe for the pen - product that can help me on get rid of dried india ink?

If you are thinking of buying an ultrasonic cleaner they are available from Amazon Italy for 66 euros

https://www.amazon.it/ULTRASONIC-CLEANER-750ML-ULTRA-7000S/dp/B01EK8THVK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1469192050&sr=8-5&keywords=ultrasonic

As suggested above, you will need to strip the pen completely. If you want to try a 10:1 ammonia solution soak first of all then it will not do any harm but, we expect that you will need to take the pen apart.

I often find that really stubborn ink, including india ink, can be removed by using a technical pen cleaner. I have always used Koh-I-Noor Rapido-Eze Pen Cleaner with excellent results. When the ink is really caked on I allow the pen to sit with just the nib in the cleaner for a little while, then rinse and see if the pen will draw any water. If it does then I resoak the nib and try to have the pen inhale some of the cleaner. This is a slow process on badly caked nibs. I do not try to remove the front section (hood) until after I have given the ink a chance to soften. If the hood is stubborn in removal I just keep repeating the soaking process until I am successful in removing the hood -- then I can remove the nib/feed/collector and soak/clean each of those parts. Good luck.

Edited by PenFisher

Really thanks guys! I'll surely try that pen cleaner before attempt to disassemble the pen, then.

I came from almost all BHR pens so i'm a little concerned about soaking: can i let the pen soak for long time - let's say over night, for example - in the above mentioned cleaning product?

+1 on Penfisher's comment...I would disassemble and dump the collector, feed, breathing tube and hood in the Koh-i-Noor and leave it for awhile. Luckily, the 51 is a pen you can do that with.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

I am not sure what the solvent in Rapido-eze actually is so I would not soak the complete pen section, that can eventually lead to colour changes of the plastic.

If the (aerometric or vacumatic?) system still works, I would start by trying to suck the solvent into the pen, rinse a few times and leave the solvent overnight into the pen.

Edited by joss

I am not sure what the solvent in Rapido-eze actually is so I would not soak the complete pen section, that can eventually lead to colour changes of the plastic.

If the (aerometric or vacumatic?) system still works, I would start by trying to suck the solvent into the pen, rinse a few times and leave the solvent overnight into the pen.

The solvent is water. The active ingredient is triethanolamine (and some potassium hydroxide)

FB

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

. . . . Know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em. Know when to kick over the card table and go for your gun.

Some trog ruined a Parker 51. Dante denotes a seventh level of Hell for such people.

I don't believe you are willing to invest in the where-with-all to do the job. (I'm not.) Half-hearted efforts will leave you frustrated with a poor performing pen. Send it to a pro. A properly restored one would cost $130.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I have encountered this before, alongside one that had literally completely petrified superchrome ink inside. My recommendation is the same as above, completely disassemble and wash each piece as much as you can, then try to remove any remaining bits with a toothpick. Your best bet would probably be to replace the collector and breather tube if it doesn't clean well. Otherwise, as long as you can disassemble the hood, you should be able to clean it pretty well.

I have encountered this before, alongside one that had literally completely petrified superchrome ink inside. My recommendation is the same as above, completely disassemble and wash each piece as much as you can, then try to remove any remaining bits with a toothpick. Your best bet would probably be to replace the collector and breather tube if it doesn't clean well. Otherwise, as long as you can disassemble the hood, you should be able to clean it pretty well.

If the pen is really clogged, you might have enough trouble disassembling it that the hood will be deformed or cracked, if it can even be removed. I would soak using the pen cleaner repeatedly until enough ink had come out to make it easier to disassemble. Without doing harm.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

If the pen is really clogged, you might have enough trouble disassembling it that the hood will be deformed or cracked, if it can even be removed. I would soak using the pen cleaner repeatedly until enough ink had come out to make it easier to disassemble. Without doing harm.

Yes, good point. That is also what I do, but somehow assumed it was natural to do.

Hi,

If it is truly clogged - won't draw water - then I would send it to a person who will completely and safely restore the pen.

IMHO, Radido-Eze is great stuff, and I'd likely give it a go with a partially clogged pen, but without taking the pen to bits for both cleaning and inspection etc, the pen might be in running condition, but I wonder if it would be at peak performance.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

thank you all for the advices, guys!

I've ordered some Koh-I-Noor Rapido-Eze and i'll star the cleaning as soon as it will arrive.

I'll let you know :)

You need Rapido-Eze, an ultrasonic, and some brass shim stock. You're going to soak in the pen cleaner, and then run it through the ultrasonic BEFORE you try to take it apart to soften what's there if possible so that you don't crack the hood, or worse. When you get it apart, you're gong to disassemble, soak, run through the ultrasonic, and then spend a good while chasing every fin of the collector with shim stock to clean out the crud, and the slit in the collector, and the slit in the feed, and the slit in the nib, and anywhere else it is stuck.

Don't use a toothpick - its way too fat for most of this.

Dante denotes a seventh level of Hell for such people.

...about 4 levels too short.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I received a Parker 51 Vacumatic from Australia today that was used until recently, when it stopped working, and I purchased it off the owner with a significant discount.

Fortunately, the hood came up with some heat and twisting after an overnight soak (no ultrasonic). After disassembling the hood, it appears whatever ink was last used has a lot of gold sparkle particles.

After inquiry from the owner, I was informed that she had used Winsor & Newton Gold ink. Reading up on it, the ink makes no real indications that it is NOT a fountain pen ink, but that should be obvious given it contains gum and shellac ... I am currently letting it all soak in cleaner liquid for a few minutes, and then will consider my options on how to proceed :(

You need Rapido-Eze, an ultrasonic, and some brass shim stock. You're going to soak in the pen cleaner, and then run it through the ultrasonic BEFORE you try to take it apart to soften what's there if possible so that you don't crack the hood, or worse. When you get it apart, you're gong to disassemble, soak, run through the ultrasonic, and then spend a good while chasing every fin of the collector with shim stock to clean out the crud, and the slit in the collector, and the slit in the feed, and the slit in the nib, and anywhere else it is stuck.

Don't use a toothpick - its way too fat for most of this.

...about 4 levels too short.

It is possible to obtain the same result without the use of an ultrasonic cleaner - which i don't have - but soaking the pen for a longer time and multiple times? I've no hurry of getting the pen work

Maybe. I know that an ultrasonic seems like a real expense, but I find that nothing else is as effective in cleaning a pen. I keep two spares in the shop just because I can't be without one.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.