Oldwin Art Déco Ciel D’Orage

dms525

Zaddick also mentioned other pen makers who have used Impero. I haven't kept track of this myself. I don't recall seeing a Conid in this material, but that would certainly be amazing, as you say.

David

I found a FPN post that shows the "Flanders Field" CONID, a beauty as well :)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/279506-conid-kingsize-celluloid-bulkfiller-in-flanders-field-le-titan-ef/

Edited by darazs

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• zaddick

• mk2579

• da vinci

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. After zaddick's mentioning it, I found the Conid in Impero. Gorgeous pen! Thanks for the direct link to the FPN review.

Edited by dms525

Thank you, da vinci.

That is encouraging news. Can you tell me what is the width line your "fine italic" ground by John Mottishaw writes?

My experience with John is that, compared to other nib technicians, he prefers to start with a wider piece of tipping material to end up with a particular width italic nib. On the other hand, he ground a F nib on an OMAS Paragon to a very usable CI for me that writes about 0.65mm. That is narrower than I prefer, but usable.

David

With apologies for the poor photos:

Nib shot:

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/996nick2009/Fountain%20Pens/image_zpsiavap2i8.jpeg

Writing sample on a Rhodia 5 mm grid using a Twsbi 1.1 factory stub for scale. You can see I have written 5 lines in 1 square with each pen and the Oldwin is noticeably finer:

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/996nick2009/Fountain%20Pens/image_zpsuk2ine5c.jpeg

Gratuitous shot of my Oldwins :) :

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/996nick2009/Fountain%20Pens/image_zpsyapvevcm.jpeg

Edited by da vinci

With apologies for the poor photos:

Nib shot:

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/996nick2009/Fountain%20Pens/image_zpsiavap2i8.jpeg

Writing sample on a Rhodia 5 mm grid using a Twsbi 1.1 factory stub for scale. You can see I have written 5 lines in 1 square with each pen and the Oldwin is noticeably finer:

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/996nick2009/Fountain%20Pens/image_zpsuk2ine5c.jpeg

Gratuitous shot of my Oldwins :) :

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/996nick2009/Fountain%20Pens/image_zpsyapvevcm.jpeg

Thank you, da vinci!

David

Wonderful review.

Do all of these pens have the threads that bind the cap to the pen near the nib as your pen shows? It of course works but was/is very uncommon. Peerless is the only other brand that had their threads so close to the nib on all of their pens.

Thank you.

Wonderful review.

Do all of these pens have the threads that bind the cap to the pen near the nib as your pen shows? It of course works but was/is very uncommon. Peerless is the only other brand that had their threads so close to the nib on all of their pens.

Thank you.

Thanks, Dr Dan.

AFAIK, all Oldwin pens have the threads at the distal end of the section. Some Franklin-Christoph pens have that arrangement also, for example the Model 02.

David

Beautiful pens. The design is very thoughtful and looks like it can fit beautifully with almost anyone's hand. I've had problems trying to buy an Oldwin from the states. Maybe one day I'll go to Paris and purchase directly from Mr. Mora.

• 4 months later...

Wonderful material and wonderful pen (and wonderful review!).

I really want to get a Burkina or arco verde celluloid Oldwin with the pointy ends but unfortunately I cannot read French (should have paid more attention in school I know...).

So my question is, how did you manage to purchase via website- I didn't want to risk completing my details wrong having relied only on google translate!

Thanks, kunju123.

To purchase an Oldwin pen from Mora:

1. Start from their home page. (http://morastylos.com/)

2. From the "Boutique" column, click on "Oldwin"

3. Click on the nib icon labled "Plumes"

4. Find the pen you want to buy and click on it.

5. Find a text box on the left lower side of the screen that says "Ajouter au panier." Click on it. The pen is how in your "basket."

6. Find the box now on your screen labeled "Mon panier." Click on the highlighted item.

7. If you really want the item(s) in your basket, click on "Commander."

8. You will be at a screen that asks for name, address, payment information as usual. I trust you can handle that.

Note that, if you are outside the EU, once you have entered your shipping address, the VAT of 20% will be deducted from your invoice.

Hope that helps.

David

Edited by dms525

Looks like they put the threads at the top of the section like the Franklin Christoph 02 - I think a lot of people like that. Beautiful pen!

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

Wonderful material and wonderful pen (and wonderful review!).

I really want to get a Burkina or arco verde celluloid Oldwin with the pointy ends but unfortunately I cannot read French (should have paid more attention in school I know...).

So my question is, how did you manage to purchase via website- I didn't want to risk completing my details wrong having relied only on google translate!

I hope you get the pen you want. Your query had me returning to Mora's site to answer your question. I saw the newest Oldwin's and wanted to buy 4 or 5. :wacko:

Okay, I managed to restrain myself and only got one - a Classic in what appears to be the OMAS "Wild" celluloid. Any suggestions as to how I can explain to my wife that my self-restraint is commendable and should be applauded? :rolleyes:

David

Thanks, kunju123.

5. Find a text box on the left lower side of the screen that says "Ajouter au panier." Click on it. The pen is how in your "basket."

6. Find the box now on your screen labeled "Mon panier." Click on the highlighted item.

8. You will be at a screen that asks for name, address, payment information as usual. I trust you can handle that.

Note that, if you are outside the EU, once you have entered your shipping address, the VAT of 20% will be deducted from your invoice.

Hope that helps.

David

This is like telling me about Pandora's box, handing me a key, walking me over to the box, putting the key in for me, putting my hand on the key, and then walking away wishing me "good luck."

Just dastardly! :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I hope you get the pen you want. Your query had me returning to Mora's site to answer your question. I saw the newest Oldwin's and wanted to buy 4 or 5. :wacko:

Okay, I managed to restrain myself and only got one - a Classic in what appears to be the OMAS "Wild" celluloid. Any suggestions as to how I can explain to my wife that my self-restraint is commendable and should be applauded? :rolleyes:

David

How about...

"Honey, I was shopping on line and found all these fantastic pens made in rare materials no longer made. I was going to buy 4 or 5, but then I remembered you wanted x (reasonably priced item) so I just picked up one pen real fast as it was at risk of selling out. Then I went right out and got you x because I thought you deserved a "just because" surprise because I can't just tell you I love... I wanted to show you."

This is like telling me about Pandora's box, handing me a key, walking me over to the box, putting the key in for me, putting my hand on the key, and then walking away wishing me "good luck."

Just dastardly! :)

Hey! I didn't even tell you about all the treasures residing in that box! :puddle: (I did leave most of them in there, but don't peek! :lticaptd: )

How about...

"Honey, I was shopping on line and found all these fantastic pens made in rare materials no longer made. I was going to buy 4 or 5, but then I remembered you wanted x (reasonably priced item) so I just picked up one pen real fast as it was at risk of selling out. Then I went right out and got you x because I thought you deserved a "just because" surprise because I can't just tell you I love... I wanted to show you."

Nice suggestion. It might work .... for some one else's spouse.

Nice suggestion. It might work .... for some one else's spouse.

Since I had an unknown number of pens before I got married I can always mix in new pens as long as they don't show up with boxes at the door. The wife's interest level is minimal so it goes unnoticed. Of course, the funds do have to come from a separate acount or a trade.

Thanks, kunju123.

Hope that helps.

David

That's great thanks for your help- can't resist those Omas celluloids!

David

I think Zaddick's suggestion is a very good one! :lticaptd: