Japan Trip - The Haul (Warning: Long Read)

Penbeginner

Beautiful haul, and a great write-up. Itoya K is a very, very, (very) dangerous place on a normal day!

About Ohasido - where did you get the info about their fairs? I've long wanted one, but never seemed to be around Tokyo at the right time. I always had the concierge at the Tekoku check on my arrival, and they'd always reply with that soft, silent smile that signals bad news...

stalking Ohashido's facebook page should be helpful

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Penbeginner

• rudyhou

• mongrelnomad

• da vinci

Great read and haul! But why are you jealous of those who live in Japan? You were able to do more in your trip here than I have been able to in the fours years I have been into FPs, I've been in Japan for the last twenty years. Osaka and Kobe are too far and expensive for a weekend jaunt and if we travel on vacation it is to none pen related locales.

I envy you.

Thanks Tinjapan,

It took a lot of planning, amazing luck, and tolerance from my family, in order to achieve what I did. I don't think it will happen again but will treasure this experience for many years to come.

Beautiful haul, and a great write-up. Itoya K is a very, very, (very) dangerous place on a normal day!

About Ohasido - where did you get the info about their fairs? I've long wanted one, but never seemed to be around Tokyo at the right time. I always had the concierge at the Tekoku check on my arrival, and they'd always reply with that soft, silent smile that signals bad news...

Hi mongreInomad,

Like Algester said, just follow their FB page. They list their event schedule every month. I just got lucky but had to change my schedule a little to accommodate their presence in Osaka while I was in Kyoto. Definitely worth the extra travel. Good luck with catching them.

Lee

stalking Ohashido's facebook page should be helpful

Do you have a link? (Can't find it.)

Too many pens; too little writing.

Great haul! The Kingdom note inkshelf is a sight to behold, and the Hello Kitty Sailor is one of the cuter Sailor pens out there. Mr. Yoshida is an amazing man to see and meet in person, and your Negoro is spectacular!

Nagasawa in Osaka is actually one of their larger branches. I would say probably one of the largest compared to the other four I visited in Kobe. Very well stocked. Great collection of Nagasawa-exclusive Sailors.

Beautiful high end Ohashidos too! Congratulations on your very successful trip.

Inquisitive Quill on Instagram and YouTube 

• 2 weeks later...

awesome haul. hope i'll be as lucky when i finally get to be in tokyo later this november. this will be my first visit to the many pen shops there in tokyo. keeping my fingers crossed.

-rudy-

Thanks for the write up. I will be visiting japan in december, and I just started doing research on where to go. This is very helpful to me. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

awesome haul. hope i'll be as lucky when i finally get to be in tokyo later this november. this will be my first visit to the many pen shops there in tokyo. keeping my fingers crossed.

You will definitely enjoy it!

What is your planned itinery and shopping list?

You will definitely enjoy it!

What is your planned itinery and shopping list?

the plan is to spend a day in tokyo station area, another day in ginza area, and another day in shinjuku area. whatever pen shops i could visit in those areas maybe the lucky shops i would do shopping at. so far no specific items to hunt for yet, but it would be nice to fly home with at least one or two pens and inks and pen pouches.

Edited by rudyhou

-rudy-

Tokyo and Ginza are very close to each other. I have walked between the two many times.

thank you for the input. i shall consider this, since tokyo station area is where my hotel will be. who knows, maybe i could visit the ginza shops on the same day. i will try to get a local phone number so i could use google map when i'll be out and about in the city. otherwise, it might be tough since i don't read/speak japanese.

-rudy-

Rudy, the fastest way to get around is via subway. If your time is limited and you have specific places to go, then taxi is the most convenient though more costly option.

I would also recommend going to Shosaikan Pen Boutique in Minami Aoyama just off Kottodori. If you're there over the weekend, there is also a farmer's market very close by on Aoyamadori (Aoyama Street). You're also a short taxi ride to Roppongi Hills, Omotesando, Shibuya, and Daikanyama. Japan is a food paradise so don't miss out!

Edited by nekomuffchu

thank you for the input. i shall consider this, since tokyo station area is where my hotel will be. who knows, maybe i could visit the ginza shops on the same day. i will try to get a local phone number so i could use google map when i'll be out and about in the city. otherwise, it might be tough since i don't read/speak japanese.

Ginza is totally walkable from Tokyo Station. Maruzen is right there near Tokyo Station and as you walk south, you will hit Eurobox and Itoya. Make sure you check Eurobox website since they are not opened everyday.

At Shinjuku, there is Kingdom Note and a section for Itoya inside Shinjuku Station. You might want to travel a little south from Shinjuku to see beautiful Shosaikan pen shop.

As for internet access, I would definitely suggest a pocket wifi instead of a local phone number. You can rent it online and pick it up at the airport right after you arrive. I relied on that during my whole trip since I marked all the good locations on Google map before I left and you can see the markings on your smartphone when you sign in on your smartphone.

Do your research before you leave, it will save you so much time. Have fun, you will love the vast amount of stationary available in Japan; and then there is the food.

Lee

Yeah, Tokyo station is about 20 minutes' walk from Ginza. Consider them the same area.

You don't really need a day per area. Tokyo's public transport is amazingly efficient, its cabs surprisingly cheap, and the areas surprisingly compact (read: vertical). Sprawling and unaccessible Tokyo isn't (ok, sprawling, yes, but very easy to get to)...

Ginza is totally walkable from Tokyo Station. Maruzen is right there near Tokyo Station and as you walk south, you will hit Eurobox and Itoya. Make sure you check Eurobox website since they are not opened everyday.

At Shinjuku, there is Kingdom Note and a section for Itoya inside Shinjuku Station. You might want to travel a little south from Shinjuku to see beautiful Shosaikan pen shop.

As for internet access, I would definitely suggest a pocket wifi instead of a local phone number. You can rent it online and pick it up at the airport right after you arrive. I relied on that during my whole trip since I marked all the good locations on Google map before I left and you can see the markings on your smartphone when you sign in on your smartphone.

Do your research before you leave, it will save you so much time. Have fun, you will love the vast amount of stationary available in Japan; and then there is the food.

Lee

Order a Pupuru router before you arrive and pick up from the Japan Mail stand at the airport.

Rudy, the fastest way to get around is via subway. If your time is limited and you have specific places to go, then taxi is the most convenient though more costly option.

I would also recommend going to Shosaikan Pen Boutique in Minami Aoyama just off Kottodori. If you're there over the weekend, there is also a farmer's market very close by on Aoyamadori (Aoyama Street). You're also a short taxi ride to Roppongi Hills, Omotesando, Shibuya, and Daikanyama. Japan is a food paradise so don't miss out!

wow. so may places to go and so little time. i don't even know where those places are and how far they are from tokyo station. i doubt i'll have time for the farmer's market but will certainly consider the shosaikan pen shop if i have the extra time. thanks for the suggestion :thumbup:

-rudy-

Lee

yes. maruzen, itoya, eurobox and kingdom note are one my list. but i had not considered shosaikai. since you're the second person to recommend it, i'll certainly consider the possibility of visiting the shop. thanks for the suggestion :thumbup:

-rudy-

Yeah, Tokyo station is about 20 minutes' walk from Ginza. Consider them the same area.

You don't really need a day per area. Tokyo's public transport is amazingly efficient, its cabs surprisingly cheap, and the areas surprisingly compact (read: vertical). Sprawling and unaccessible Tokyo isn't (ok, sprawling, yes, but very easy to get to)...

i would certainly rely heavily on their subway to get around. since i only have 3 free days, i'd rather get to the shops faster and use the extra time for food hunting. the next time i'll be in tokyo again, i shall consider walking everywhere since i'll already be familiar with the areas a little better.

-rudy-

Order a Pupuru router before you arrive and pick up from the Japan Mail stand at the airport.

from searching online and asking around, seems the easiest way is either rent a phone (which can be expensive) or rent a router (more affordable). then i got an input from a japanese associate who recommends buying a SIM card (local number) at the airport which allows one to choose a 7-day plan, 15-day plan, or 30-day plan. this seems the more logical choice for me, as i'll be in tokyo for a week due to work. so yeah, i'm considering buying the 7-day plan SIM card for my iphone.

-rudy-