J Herbin 1670 Anniversary Caroube De Chypre Ink Review

Mishka5050

Hi folks,

it's that time of the year again. Caroube de Chypre ink is coming out and I feel like J Herbin's 1670 ink ambassador :happyberet: but that put aside...they have made another beautiful ink, so I'd like to share my thoughts with you.

Base colour of Caroube de Chypre ink is warm red cocoa brown, similar to Pilot Iroshizuku Tsukushi. My usual go to inks are teal, turquoise & orange, so this isn't the one I would normally consider...but then a friend suggested warm coke brown to go with my Franklin-Chrystoph Cokebottle pen (antique glass). A perfect match! I couldn't be happier when Caroube de Chypre got announced - glorious brown with gold specs and also my bet was right (turquoise next year?). I do use it everyday in the office, it's perfect in correspondence - unusual, fun ink with gold wow factor :yikes: If you do happen to have Tomoe River or tracing paper I urge you to try some ink splats - how did they manage to give it the green sheen is beyond me :o

Shading 8/10

A very good shading ink. Works well with water brush too!

Feathering 9/10

Thumbs up J Herbin, this ink does not feather (I still love you Stormy Grey)

Sheen 10/10

This is without a doubt one of the top shading inks. How? Solid gold with lime green metallic sheen.

Saturation 8/10

Great colour, not watered down. Perfectly legible.

Waterproof 5/10

This ink is not waterproof, but compared to it's siblings from 1670 line it holds up pretty well.

Dry time 8/10

Few seconds for standard nibs. I have used Medium Titanium nib on Rhodia paper which pretty much leaked pools of ink and that took approx 20seconds. Not bad, sit back and enjoy the wonders of universe :)

Flow 9/10

Fantastic! I had not experienced any stubborn clogging. Cleans easily too.

Elephants in the room:

- shake it till you wake it!

- if you are scared to ink expensive pens, then don't :) There are cheap, reliable pens which will do just fine. I had this ink in several pens for a good month and had no issues.

- for best results use broader&wet nibs and Rhodia/Clairefontaine/Leuchtturm/Tomoe River/... paper. It will feather on copier paper

- if you do like the ink, but dislike gold, then this ink may not be for you. Get Tsukushi or don't shake the bottle

- flush pens regularly. Ink cleans easily - gold specs will take a little longer (+1 for sonic cleaner)

- the picture on the box is of caroube beans :lol:

Caroube de Chypre ink will be available from July 14th and you can get it from us at Bureau Direct: https://www.bureaudirect.co.uk/j-herbin-1670-anniversary-ink

Thanks to our friends from J Herbin & Exacompta who let us sample and share the ink :)

If you do have any questions please ask - we had the ink for a good month and I went through a full bottle already :blush: (in my defense we sent the samples out to our friends for review and and wet writing pens go thru ink like there is no tomorrow)

Mishka

post-110147-0-02567100-1468446604_thumb.jpgpost-110147-0-89489900-1468446967_thumb.jpgpost-110147-0-09177800-1468447263_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• migo984

• Mishka5050

• lgsoltek

• EbonitePen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh boy, I have been waiting on these pics to come out :D Thank you for your thoughts on the ink. I'll be getting this for sure.

Nice ink colour. Shame about the glittery stuff. I can't wait for this fad to (hopefully) die out.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I don't normally like red-leaning browns. But the gold dust seems to cut the redness nicely.

Thanks for the review (my husband will not -- he has taken to telling people that I used to collect pens, but now I collect ink....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks, Mishka! Great pics!

Nice ink colour. Shame about the glittery stuff. I can't wait for this fad to (hopefully) die out.

LEAVE US SPARKLE FREAKS ALONE. :D

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Looks nice. It's the official release already and I haven't received your sample yet Mishka...

Bat I sent that 2 months ago :( sorry Bill, should I try again?

Thanks, Mishka! Great pics!

LEAVE US SPARKLE FREAKS ALONE. :D

Well I agree with one word in your post :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

Brown is probably my favorite ink color family but fortunately reddish browns are not my thing at all. I am a bit disappointed and yet glad that I don't have to (read: want to) buy another bottle!

Edited by EbonitePen

I loved Rouge Hematite, OK with Emerald de Chivre (the sheen is fantastic but it's fussy and you have to keep all things shook up all the time if you want a consistent sheen). I am looking forward to this Carobe quite a bit but I suspect that you have to shake this up a lot, too, those particles just want to fall down to the bottom of the bottle. Am I right?

But I do love that color and think it will be dynamite on cream colored Tomoe River.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Mishka, Thank you for a fabulous review and those images!! I have ordered mine and cannot wait for them to arrive. Very excited.

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

Great review! That gold/green sheen has me so very tempted, I'll just have to hold off until my next pay check...

-Cricket