Sailor 1911 Large Vs Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne

Aditkamath26

I need a comparison between these two pens in medium nib. Engeika has them on damn prices so I am considering one of these two. I want a very good nib with awesome smoothness. I personally like the looks of the Platinum but still. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Mikeal

• Aditkamath26

• Bluey

Both are great pens...Platinum nibs, in my opinion, tend to be and the "toothy" side, pencil-like feeling when you write. Sailor nibs are similar as well. My LB5 nib needed a little polishing before I got it where I wanted. It was medium nib. However, both nibs can be smoothed out with some micromesh to one's liking.

If you like to post your pens, then size (length) is not a matter....if you do not like to post your pens (I fall into that category), then, depend on the size of your hands, both pens are about the same at around 120mm. Some one can correct me on the actual size.

The Chartres Blue and Borgogne colours are stunning compared to the standard black of the 1911.

Both nibs are 14K gold.

I own the 3776 in Chartres Blue, I had to micromesh the nib a little as I like my nibs glass smooth...but it's great now for a fine nib.

Also, remember that Japanese nibs are approximately one step finer than the European counterparts.

Hope this helps.

I think both pens are great choices, while Platinum 3776 is definitely the better-looking one.

Also, Platinum nibs tend to be a bit "softer" than sailor nibs, so you get a little more flex with a 3776. And yes, both nibs tend to be a bit toothy.

I know it will cost you a bit more, but a Sailor 1911 Large with a Naginata Togi Medium Fine (NMF) (actually a Medium size) nib will run rings around a Platinum 3776 with Medium nib. I have both, and the Sailor is much the better pen.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I agree with David. If you're going to get the Sailor, try to get one with the NMF nib. Otherwise, the Platinum medium will do well. The Sailor Naginata Medium is more like a broad with an Architect's grind.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

No one has addressed the differences between the two pens yet so let me give it a try. In the first picture (capped pens) the large 1911 (Wood Duck) and the #3776 (Boats on water and Islands) are side by side.

http://www.fototime.com/EA8E361D35BE853/large.jpg

As you can see capped they are about the same size. The 1911 is slightly more streamlined while the #3776 Century has an abrupt, blunt end.

In the next picture you can see them uncapped and the 1911 is at the top, the #3776 Century in the middle.

http://www.fototime.com/8A4AFFCD49207E0/large.jpg

The 1911 is considerably longer that the #3776 Century. Interestingly the older style #3776 seen between the others in the second picture is closer in size and shape to the full size 1911.

They're very beautiful pens jar. I must get one of those maki-e pens someday.

As for the 1911 vs 3776, I have both and would choose the Platinum for the looks and the Sailor for the softer and less feedbacky nib. Based on your requirements I would choose the Sailor without a doubt, especially if you plan to use it as an every day carry.

Edited by Bluey

I have both the Sailor 1911 in M, and a B 3776. I love both pens, but feel the sailor nib is better, and over all quality construction is amazing.

For what it's worth, I ordered my 1911L from Engeika May 14 and did not recieve it until the beginning of July as he said it was a special order item even if listed in stock.

When you feel the two side by side, the 1911's quality makes itself immediately apparent, even in just the feel and heft of the plastic they use. They are not really in the same league. But, of course, they aren't meant to be. The #3776 is meant to be a pen for all occasions and the 1911 is a flagship.

That said, the way they tune their nibs goes to taste. The Sailors are a little wetter and are far more position-dependent than the Platinums. The Platinums feel more like a sharp Nr.3 pencil.

The 3776 looks worlds better, though. The Sailors are also almost tragic in their lack of creativity when it comes to pen design, but the nib makes it worth it, I feel.

Pelikan | Pilot | Montblanc | Sailor | Franklin-Christoph | Platinum | OMAS

I've had both. The Sailor feels as solid as a Montblanc and the 21K nib is smoothness personified.

The 3776 SF nib is nice, the pen feels like cheap plastic.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I plan to get the Platinum not because it is a better pen but the price is lesser in the United Arab Emirates (thats where I live). Considering prices from engeika, I would go for the Sailor but the negetives of Engeika put me back. Thanks for everything. I highly appreciate the time you guys put in. AND JAR, IS THE FOURTH PEN A NAMIKI? IF YES IT MUST HAVE DEFINETLY COST YOU A FORTUNE.

I plan to get the Platinum not because it is a better pen but the price is lesser in the United Arab Emirates (thats where I live). Considering prices from engeika, I would go for the Sailor but the negetives of Engeika put me back. Thanks for everything. I highly appreciate the time you guys put in. AND JAR, IS THE FOURTH PEN A NAMIKI? IF YES IT MUST HAVE DEFINETLY COST YOU A FORTUNE.

The 4th pen from the top is a Pilot/Namiki Nippon Art Dragon Descending from the Clouds and one of the entry level Maki-e pens I reviewed here.