How Much Is Postage In Your Country?

Ileach

Hello everybody,

since I restarted writing letters :-) I wonder how much is postage around the world. When I pull a letter out of my mailbox first I always look who sent it and then I take a look at the stamps, trying to read the date when they were stamped and figure out how much it was. I found some topics about postage here but none was up to date. So you maybe want to join in.

For a better understanding, I add the estimated value in US-$.

Letter from Germany to worldwide via airmail:

- Postcard 0.90 Euro = 1 USD

- Standard size, up to 20g: 0.90 Euro = 1 USD

- Standard size, up to 50g: 1.50 Euro = 1.66 USD

- Big envelope, up to 500g: 3.70 Euro = 4.10 USD

Support your local post office - write letters!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ileach

• Chrissy

• Notgatherox

• northstar

Postcards or letters up to 10grams cost GB£1.05 to anywhere in the world

Standard Letters weighing between 11grams and 20grams cost GB£1.05 to Europe or GB£1.33 to Rest of the World.

Heavier standard letters weighing between 21 grams and 100grams cost GB£1.52 to Europe and GB£2.25 to Rest of the World.

Large Letters are much more complicated.

The current conversion rate from GB£ to US$ is £1 = US$1.29. It might get better or worse depending on whether you're in the UK or the US.

For local mail:

Letters up to 20g - 1st local, 30 cents

Letters between 20-40g - 2nd local, 37 cents

Large and non standard letters start from 60 cents

Postage for overseas letters is determined by which zone the particular country is in, there are four.

Most countries (Europe, Africa, America, Middle East etc) are in the $1.30 range (20g). From there, every 10g is chargable at 35 cents.

More info at this site: http://www.singpost.com/send-documentparcel/postage-rates.html

Atm, the exchange rate for SGD to USD stands about SGD 1.40 to USD 1

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Standard letter to USA & Canada about $3

Standard letter to Europe about $2.5

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

I see that Germany is not really expensive when it comes to sending letters overseas. People here are complaining since postage for a domestic standard letter went from 0.62 to 0.70 Euro and international in two years from 0.75 to 0.80 and now 0.90 Euro. Maybe 10 years ago there was still a difference between Europe and Rest of World but now only domestic and international is left. Also, there is only airmail available and the weight is not that important anymore. It used to be in steps of 5 or 10 g before.

Edited by Ileach

USA

First class letter - 47¢ (up to 1 oz)
Additional oz - 21¢
International letter or postcard - $1.15 (up to 1 oz)
Domestic postcard - 35¢

Packages and larger than #10 envelopes vary by weight and/or size.

Now we have those forever stamps. I never know how much they are at any given moment, but once you've purchased them, they're good no matter what the going 1st class letter rate is.

BTW, that's in the US. I don't have anyone overseas to write to.

Edited by Zookie

Mail for abroad from the NL, a standard letter is 1,25€, up to 50g 2,50€.

Mail inside the country is 0,73€ for a standard letter.

Now we have those forever stamps. I never know how much they are at any given moment, but once you've purchased them, they're good no matter what the going 1st class letter rate is.

BTW, that's in the US. I don't have anyone overseas to write to.

I think the UK had this 1st class stamps before for domestic mail.

Just in case this was a cry for help: You can write me, I am outside the US :-)

Mail for abroad from the NL, a standard letter is 1,25€, up to 50g 2,50€.

Mail inside the country is 0,73€ for a standard letter.

Also more than Germany. Domestic standard letter up to 20g here is 0.70 Euro.

The outcome is quite interesting...

Well, I guess we are not as bad off as I thought.

From South Africa to anywhere in the world:

Postcard airmail: R7.25 which is about 51c American.

Small letter (<50g) R8.75 which is 61c American.

Interesting thread!

Johann.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Germany is not really expensive when it comes to sending letters overseas. People here are complaining since postage for a domestic standard letter went from 0.62 to 0.70 Euro and international in two years from 0.75 to 0.80 and now 0.90 Euro. Maybe 10 years ago there was still a difference between Europe and Rest of World but now only domestic and international is left. Also, there is only airmail available and the weight is not that important anymore. It used to be in steps of 5 or 10 g before.

Royal Mail over recent years has cut some of the weight bands. There was Postcard, 10g, 20g, 40g, 60g, 80g, 100g... Now, there's 10g (worldwide), 20g, and 100g. I wonder what a 100g letter looks like considering it can't be larger than the envelope for A5, or thicker than half a centimetre!

!

Royal Mail over recent years has cut some of the weight bands. There was Postcard, 10g, 20g, 40g, 60g, 80g, 100g... Now, there's 10g (worldwide), 20g, and 100g. I wonder what a 100g letter looks like considering it can't be larger than the envelope for A5, or thicker than half a centimetre!

50 sheets of 90 gsm paper in A5 are less than half a centimeter and weights 136.86 g. Write long letters :-)