Toffee Brown - Montblanc

visvamitra

It seems that in 2010 Montblanc changed the manufacturer of their ink as well as the design of the bottle. The company's issued a new, larger (60 ml vs 50 ml) bottle. To be honest I find Montblanc bottle not only nice but also practical, much better than Iroshizuku or Sailor.

The new colours launched in 2010 include:

1. Burgundy Red
  2. Irish Green
  3. Lavender Purple
  4. Mystery Black
  5. Midnight Blue
  6. Oyster Grey
  7. Royal Blue
  8. Toffee Brown

tofee1.jpg?w=680

tofee31.jpg?w=680

tofee21.jpg?w=680

Toffee Brown flows well, has no detectable odor, and no negative qualities that I discovered so far. The ink is not waterproof. At all. If you like brown inks but need them to be permanent take a look at Platinum Sepia. Toffee Brown dry times depend on the width of the nib you use and the paper you write on (as with all other inks), but it's rather wet ink that offers nice kind of shading. In older flex pens it can look very dark while in most regulat pens reddish components are quite visible. Personally I'm not crazy about the color but the facty is Toffee brown is very good ink.

toffeebrown_is.jpg?w=680

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

toffeebrown_rk.jpg?w=680

Software ID

toffeebrown_l3.jpg?w=680

Tomoe River, kaweco Classic Sport, B

toffeebrown_t_1.jpg?w=680

toffeebrown_t_2.jpg?w=680

toffeebrown_t_3.jpg?w=680

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

toffeebrown_l1jpg.jpg?w=680

toffeebrown_l2.jpg?w=680

toffeebrown_l4.jpg?w=680

Oxford, Gama Airborne, F

toffeebrown_ox.jpg?w=680

Oxford, Hero 5028, stub 1,9

toffeebrown_ox2.jpg?w=680

Lyreco Budget 60 mgsm, vintage no - name flex

toffeebrown_lyreco.jpg?w=680

Clairefontaine, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

toffeebrown_claire.jpg?w=680

Clairefontaine, Gama Airborne, F

toffeebrown_claire2.jpg?w=680

Comparison
fpn_1465759990__browns_rhodia_1.jpg
Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• Old_Inkyhand

• AndyYNWA

• EbonitePen

I have had this ink for some 2+ years and used very little of it. This is one of the very few inks that cause flow issues in most of my pens. I have never encountered a review that would confirm my experience and so I keep thinking if I had a bad batch or something. Very disappointing and been hesitant to pick up any more MB inks. Love the bottle though.

@ebonitepen - it's surprising. Montblanc usually reacts instantly if something's wrong with their products. There were some issues with their purple ink so they've withdrawed it ferom the market for some time and then reformulated it. I've never heard about problems with Toffee Brown though.

Best

PS: excellent blog.

Edited by visvamitra

I've never heard of any problems with Montblanc Toffee brown ink either. I think it's an excellent brown ink.

Thank you for the review. :)

it's surprising. Montblanc usually reacts instantly if something's wrong with their products.

Best

They certainly didn't react instantly with the Golden Yellow ink fiasco.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I would like to see it side-by-side with GvFC Hazelnut, is that possible?

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

They certainly didn't react instantly with the Golden Yellow ink fiasco.

My boutique didn't even know about the problems.

Vis, in your review Toffee Brown looks better (IMHO) than in a few other reviews which I have seen. Currently I have Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown and J. Herbin's Lie de Thé and I am looking for a third shade of brown. This time a real earthy brown, no red undertones, no golden sparks, no green tinge and no orange background :) Something which would look like a real dark chocolate, like PR Chocolate or Noodler's Walnut, but easily available in Poland. Do you have any suggestions? It seems that I like Toffee Brown, but as I said - in your review it has little redness and is quite dark.

I second Andy's request :)

Great review, thanks. I like the colour and it's reasonably easy to flush out. Go to ink when I am using MB pens.

I have tried to like Toffee Brown but, alas, cannot. It won't shade for me, flat as a flounder. So I might just give away the rest of the cartridges I have and that is that.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Thanks for the review. I was just thinking about getting around to trying the sample of it I picked up awhile back (once I got a few pens flushed out). But if it's this red a brown, I'm not sure I'm actually going to like it all that much....

It does look good on the Leuchtturm paper, though.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My boutique didn't even know about the problems.

Vis, in your review Toffee Brown looks better (IMHO) than in a few other reviews which I have seen. Currently I have Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown and J. Herbin's Lie de Thé and I am looking for a third shade of brown. This time a real earthy brown, no red undertones, no golden sparks, no green tinge and no orange background :) Something which would look like a real dark chocolate, like PR Chocolate or Noodler's Walnut, but easily available in Poland. Do you have any suggestions? It seems that I like Toffee Brown, but as I said - in your review it has little redness and is quite dark.

I second Andy's request :)

I don't know what inks are readily available in Poland but Yama Guri may check off a few of your wants (dark brown). Here's visvamitra's review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/285792-yama-guri-pilot-iroshizuku/

I don't know what inks are readily available in Poland but Yama Guri may check off a few of your wants (dark brown). Here's visvamitra's review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/285792-yama-guri-pilot-iroshizuku/

How could I forget about Yama Guri! It is very nice, I didn't remember that it was so nice. We have the majority of inks which are available in Europe in general. It isn't easy to get Noodlers, Private Reserve, limited edition Sailor inks, Robert Oster and the less popular inks, in most cases we have to import them, in other cases very few retailers carry the specific brand. But the majority is available.

It's a shame that Yama Guri is so expensive in Europe.

I actually thought that the shop which used to carry Private Reserve is not working anymore, but it is doing fine apparently.

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

May have to try this one!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thanks for another great review. I've just been playing around with Diamine Mozart - which is too red for my taste. This brown looks a lot darker on my monitor. Have to try it for myself one of these days...

Thorough review, thank you. But the ink looks boring to me. Browns have a tough time exciting me.

@Inkyhand - Toffee Brown is darker and shades more dramatically (photo taken with smartphone, white balance is off).

fpn_1468079424__comp.jpg

I think that nice earthy brown that is available in Poland for reasonable money is Diamine Chocolate Brown.

For those who want a solid dark brown may I suggest Diamine Chocolate? I've noticed no shading with a regular nib but it does look just like milk chocolate 😁

@Inkyhand - Toffee Brown is darker and shades more dramatically (photo taken with smartphone, white balance is off).

I think that nice earthy brown that is available in Poland for reasonable money is Diamine Chocolate Brown.

Diamine Chocolate Brown is quite nice indeed. I was wondering why I remembered many brown inks in a different way than I should and I came up with the most plausible answer - I have bought a new laptop a few months ago and after some tuning it displays colours in a very accurate way, what can't be said about my previous one.

The comparison is great, it is very hard to find it on the Internet, thanks!

For those who want a solid dark brown may I suggest Diamine Chocolate? I've noticed no shading with a regular nib but it does look just like milk chocolate

Two people say that, that must be true! On the list it goes!

@ebonitepen - it's surprising. Montblanc usually reacts instantly if something's wrong with their products. There were some issues with their purple ink so they've withdrawed it ferom the market for some time and then reformulated it. I've never heard about problems with Toffee Brown though.

Best

PS: excellent blog.

I bought mine in a different shop than I usually use and I am unsure of their stock. I also purchased Sheaffer Violet ink there along with the TB and that one developed mold on the surface after roughly six months. I have inks that were open for decades and I never seen anything of the sort before.

PS: thanks!