Woes Of Ballpoint Pen Refills - Your Recommendations

I prefer the Fisher Space refill because it writes at any angle and on stained paper, although a few of my pens take the Cross refill and I find them to be excellent.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• flatline

• AL01

• usk15

Top Posters In This Topic

Have those Fisher ballpoint refills changed over the years? I tried them in the 1980s, and they were blobby.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Have those Fisher ballpoint refills changed over the years? I tried them in the 1980s, and they were blobby.

Purely anecdotal, but the medium refills I've purchased in the last 5 years do not seem to have the blobbing issue that the refills I purchased 15 years ago did. I suspect that they've done something to correct the issue.

I've never had blobbing issues with my fine point refills.

--flatline

I only had blobs in the odd colors - - turquoise and green. Never had trouble with the blue and black.

How much do you fellas pay for your Fisher refills?

Just trying to keep our locals honest ;) Main Fisher dealer here prices their Lamy pens $10 over RRP, MontBlanc inks at 20% dearer than the MB boutique just a block away on the same street...! I'm too scared to ask how they sell their fisher refills... :P

How much do you fellas pay for your Fisher refills?

Typically between 5 and 6 bucks each. I usually order them online.

--flatline

Typically between 5 and 6 bucks each. I usually order them online.

--flatline

thanks!

wow that's cheap, I'm looking at twice that A$10-12 ea to reach downunder even online

thanks!

wow that's cheap, I'm looking at twice that A$10-12 ea to reach downunder even online

I see packs of 3 for $15 at amazon, but maybe that's not representative of prices in other countries.

--flatline

Purely anecdotal, but the medium refills I've purchased in the last 5 years do not seem to have the blobbing issue that the refills I purchased 15 years ago did. I suspect that they've done something to correct the issue.

I've never had blobbing issues with my fine point refills.

--flatline

They run kinda dry now. I guess the guys at Fisher just decided to make them as dry as a pencil. (Bought some a few months ago - for a Jotter)

I've trialled lots of refills including Schneider Schmidt Pelikan , Fabercastell , Pilot and heaps of others and none beat the Parker Quinkflow for reliability, smoothness , line density and colour . I believe these are a hybrid ink/gel and they are superior to the earlier Parker refills . Never had a problem with them drying out or skipping etc . I proffer these to clients as I am always confident they will work well when signing documents .

• 9 months later...

I found that after about three years dormant, my Mont Blanc BP refills dried up. So, I replaced them with Monteverde clones which work very well.

I've trialled lots of refills including Schneider Schmidt Pelikan , Fabercastell , Pilot and heaps of others and none beat the Parker Quinkflow for reliability, smoothness , line density and colour . I believe these are a hybrid ink/gel and they are superior to the earlier Parker refills . Never had a problem with them drying out or skipping etc . I proffer these to clients as I am always confident they will work well when signing documents .

I may check them out.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I found that after about three years dormant, my Mont Blanc BP refills dried up. So, I replaced them with Monteverde clones which work very well.

Yeah, they tend to dry up or seize. A shame because theyre super smooth while they last.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, they are reputed to be excellent writers... I hadn't thought of them. Will have to check on their compatibility. I know they have the small bullet pens... maybe they've got a larger format as well.

I do think ink formulation can make a difference, in addition to environmental conditions. I had some Schneider refills that dried out, and while they had a protective sleeve over the tip, they weren't air tight, no wax ball over the tip (like you see on PILOT refills). I hadn't heard of the Pentel Energel ones... looked into those and they appear to require a cap (would likely dry out with capless ballpoints).

Pentel has retractable energels thst use the exact same refill though

Hello everyone, I have just purchased a Visconti Michaelangelo Ball Point. It has a Visconti refill that looks just like a Parker. It is 1mm blue ink. Its like no Parker Ive ever had how do the Monteverde fair against the Visconti. I see that Monteverde has some real ink refills. Wonder why there are no ballpoint refills that come empty to be filled with our favorite inks🤔. Maybe they are available but Ive been away from pens far too long to have noticed. I do hear that they make refillable roller balls??? Hmmm guess Im just too far out and need to catch up.

• 2 weeks later...

Pentel has retractable energels thst use the exact same refill though

Yes, I have discovered this recently and I've got one on order. I'm very excited to try this and see how it turns out. I believe the Energel may require a cap to keep it from drying out. However, I recently came into possession of a PILOT Hi-Tecpoint pen that has a "internal door" tip. It's not like the Vanishing Point, which has a spring loaded trap door. This one is essentially outfitted with 2 parts that close up, like rolling double-doors. While it's not hermetically sealed, it's pretty much equivalent to having a cap. The sad thing is that the refill for this pen is no longer made by PILOT. I was able to discover that the standard short refill PILOT still makes, the BRFN-10, will fit... with a spacer. But these aren't like the original refill (wider line). I'm eager to see if the Energel will fit the bill.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small