Wanted: Fat Grip, Free-Flowing, Mucho Comfortable Fountain Pen

ssataline

I know you have a financial constraint. But I do have two pieces of advice if I may:

1) If you find the pen that suites your hand, do pay whatwver price is needed. You will use this pen for the rest of your life and, esp. on your case, it will benefit your health.

2) In order to achieve that, there are two ways: a) you buy pens until you find the right one. Costly, even of you can sell some of these pens through FPN classifieds and others. B) find a way to try the pens that you think might suit your hand. B&M shops, friends, pen shows, and so on. When you try the pen, remember there are a lot like shoes: it might seem comfortable at first, but become very uncomfortable after a few minutes of heavy writing (and I am not suggesting you have to ink your shoes...), so when you try a pen, don't be satisfied with just few lines.

The Dolce Vita OS is really huge, maybe about 14mm at the section. It is an awesome pen that might be the answer you are looking for.

This is very wise. I'm hoping to get to the DC Pen Show and will ice my hands for days to prepare. It's so strange how this project IS like trying on shoes. (And I don't much like that, with a Size 42!) I realize that I violated one of my own rules with the Tombow -- it's metal, but because it's so short, it doesn't feel heavy. Versus the Jinhao which is long and fat. Thank you!

Hmm... I read your post again and saw that you've already considered the Jinhao but find it too heavy. Ah, then you may just have to go the Indian ebonite pen route. The Ranga model 5 comes to mind, but it too may be too heavy. I'd then suggest the Gama Kuyil, if that's available from ASA Pens. I think there's also a model called Genius that's the slightly smaller (in length) version of the Kuyil. Best of luck!

I'll forgo the pen if I can steal that cat!

Edited by ssata

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ssataline

• Wolverine1

• Kublai Khan

• setriode

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Kindly consider the Pilot Prera. It is one of the few compact pens that I know of with a goodly girth. Comfy posted or not. A welcome guest in my beach bag. :)

I'm away from pens so I cannot measure the section girth, so perhaps another Member can provide that dimension. In the meantime, there's this comparative image which is a scan so there's no parallax.

The Lime Green Prera posing with several other pens, L - R: Sheaffer 440, Pelikan M400, Platinum President Purist, Parker Newhaven Lady Insignia, Waterman Carene and Waterman's 52 1/2V.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20ESS%20Registrars%20Blue-Black/c42ebe09.jpg

I'm not too sure if the Prera is typically free-flowing, but I doubt if they're bone dry. (I prefer to use a wetter ink rather than adjust the nib.)

Bye,

S1

I have a little plastic Prera bought online from Japan. It did write well at the start, and now is scratchy as hell. Can't figure out how that happened. I like yours immensely.

A sailor 1911 midsize might be in your price range

http://www.nibs.com/Sailor1911MidSizeSeries.html

If you’re in the United States this company may be very good for you as they give great service and will set up the nip for you before they send the pen.
This is a very common pen, easily found, and I’m sure you could get even better prices on eBay or some other source.
Good luck,
Bobby

And Nibs has those fantastic charts with lots of measurements. Thank you!

I understand your concerns. My suggestion is for you to try out a Ranga pen, the Ranga Model 5 specifically. It is a pretty large pen, and seems to work well for me. I am a medium sized guy who had hand problems caused by a series of strokes, and the Ranga Model 5 is a pen that works for me. You can check Peyton Street Pens for details. Here is the link:

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/range-indian-ebonite/model-5/ranga-ebonite-model-5-fountain-pen-extra-oversize-german-nibs-cartridge-converter.html

I'm glad your recovery allows you to write. Funny, I heard from Peyton initially and no reply with last email. Maybe they're away. I'll try again. Thank you.

Another vote for an Indian ebonite. I have a Guilder that I reach for whenever my arthritis and/or tendinitis start to act up. ASA pens has a great selection and their service is fantastic. With any pen, you may have to do some nib adjustments, but the Indian pens are an unbeatable value for the price.

Edit:

Oh, and Preras are nice too. Section is about 11mm. They are very light, reliable, and easy to handle. Neither of mine are particularly juicy, though.

Thanks Sarah. I've got a problems with Russian and Chinese history, cats and ink. Preferably not all at the same time!

I may, in fact, been raised too Catholic for this pen! SBRE Brown's fans have some interesting thoughts!

http://fountainpenrevolution.com/wpimages/wpf2591e87_01_06.jpg

Guider Super Zimbo. Available in several colours, it has a 16 millimetres section diameter

Here are a few to consider, all vintage, so you need to find a reliable seller. And a seller that can adjust the nib to write as you want it to. All should have some models available under $150.

- Esterbrook J (should be available restored for about $40)

- Parker 51

- Parker Vacumatic

These are light pen, so should be easy to hold for extended writing. For me, weight is a major comfort factor.

The Esterbrook and the Parker Vacumatic are also colorful.

If you are looking for a FAT pen, Peyton Street pens, has some fat one. They are too fat for me, but then I like slimlines, 10mm is perfect for me.

Do you write with a LIGHT grip on the pen? I mean light enough that someone could pull the pen from your hand.

Using a light grip has eliminated the hand cramps that I used to get, from gripping the pen TIGHT.

I also learned to write with my arm, so the larger arm muscles to more of the writing, which makes it easier on my hand and finger muscles.

I also have tendonitis, but not as bad as yours.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

ssata- where are you located at? I see the flag of Michigan, and if you are in Ann Arbor, maybe you could meet with the small but very friendly people of FPN who make up the Ann Arbor Pen Posse. You could join us at our monthly meetups. I am in the north-eastern part of town, and could meet at a coffeeshop and bring some of my pens for you to try.

-Sid

Hi, no Michigan (although I did live in Ann Arbor for a few weeks.) No, all New York. Thanks again everyone.