Ranga Bamboo Premium Ebonite (Smooth Green Yellow)

ak2k5

RANGA BAMBOO FOUNTAIN PEN : PREMIUM EBONITE SMOOTH GREEN-YELLOW

INTRODUCTION

Ranga pens in my knowledge is a pretty popular brand here in FPN. I have only ordered one pen before,a model 2c which is one of their cheaper options to test the waters.Their bamboo design has been in my wish list for some time.I know its based on a japanese design but as far as i know to get that design in India there is only Ranga.

The 2c was a mixed experience (review which i plan to post soon) mainly due to the wality nib.This time i decided to venture into their premium territory and opted for the Bamboo in premium ebonite with a Jowo medium nib.

DESIGN & BUILD QUALITY

The Bamboo design needs a master craftsman to make it a reality and Mr. Pandurangan is just that, a master craftsman.The pen is made of one of the premium ebonite provided by Ranga “smooth green yellow”. My first choice was “blue white” which wasn’t in stock at the time. The ebonite is really beautiful and the green and yellow {more of amber actually} is a nice combination.The finish was top notch except for a burn like mark in the barrel which irritates me a bit. Apart from that there is not a single mark ,and the barrel and cap is extremely well polished.

The pens design is clipless which adds to the minimalistic design language.

The pen will get a 8/10 in the build quality and design ,2 marks for the mark in the barrel.

WRITING EXPERIENCE

Now the most important part of the review. I chose a Jowo nib this time as the wality nib with model 2c was really bad and had to change it to kanwrite nib. The “M” two tone nib is in line with the pen’s aesthetics. The nib writes good enough and is more towards the drier side.But after a thorough wash and flush the flow improved. Its not as wet as my ASA Galactic but im satisfied with the writing experience.Ink used is Krishna Mangal.

VALUE & CONCLUSION

The pen cost me 5700 INR and is my most expensive pen to date. In my opinion a product is worth what the customer is willing to pay for . There will surely be cheaper pens which may write better and the design may not be for everybody. What Bamboo offers is a unique design with a great build quality.

To conclude this is a pen that will take a permanent place in my collection and also be among my daily writers.

It gives the unique beauty of handmade fountain pen, the pen which is made just for you,the design pattern on one pen being totally different to the next bamboo.

Overall Ill give this pen a 9/10. I plan to get more pens from Ranga in near future. The range of ebonite they offer and the variety of designs in their catalogue is really amazing. The Romillo of India :thumbup:

post-129189-0-12095200-1467807306_thumb.jpg

post-129189-0-60582700-1467807328_thumb.jpg

post-129189-0-62075700-1467807375_thumb.jpg

post-129189-0-91573200-1467807408_thumb.jpg

post-129189-0-11810100-1467807436_thumb.jpg

post-129189-0-84435300-1467807450_thumb.jpg

post-129189-0-66497400-1467807509_thumb.jpg

post-129189-0-12057300-1467807527_thumb.jpg

post-129189-0-39625700-1467807832_thumb.jpg

Edited by ak2k5

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ak2k5

• mehandiratta

• rwilsonedn

• Samrat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the review. I still think about choosing one for myself from Mehandiratta's PIF but I just can't choose nib. I have enough Jowo's and Schmidts, they're all the same. I think about trying Ambitious flex but I'm afraid it'll turn out to be a little disappointing :/ Choices, choices, sometimes I really hate them :)

Thank-you for the review...

I just ordered that very Pen thru the FPN Group buy...

Same color , Jowo nib - Fine nib 2 tone .. Looking forward to receiving it..

My second choice was the Blue/White Premium (looks like we have similar appeal in colors.)

Hope you enjoy your FP and thanks for taking the time to post...

Bill P.

Thanks for sharing and pics. Like Bill P I too am looking forward to receiving a bamboo from the current groupbuy. :)

Thank you for the review. I still think about choosing one for myself from Mehandiratta's PIF but I just can't choose nib. I have enough Jowo's and Schmidts, they're all the same. I think about trying Ambitious flex but I'm afraid it'll turn out to be a little disappointing :/ Choices, choices, sometimes I really hate them :)

If you want to see some pics of the ambitious flex nibs you can check out Mehandiratta's group buy thread where several people posted their flex nibs in actions which are the same as the ones Ranga are using for this group buy. If you are slightly disappointed when you receive the nib, they are easy to swap out for nibs of various sizes due to the ebonite feed.

Thanks.. :) my ambitious nib in ASA Porus works well. But haven't tried ambitious flex.

Nice review, thanks!

Did you get this via the group buy?

No..i placed the order 2-3 weeks before group buy started..

Thank-you for the review...

I just ordered that very Pen thru the FPN Group buy...

Same color , Jowo nib - Fine nib 2 tone .. Looking forward to receiving it..

My second choice was the Blue/White Premium (looks like we have similar appeal in colors.)

Hope you enjoy your FP and thanks for taking the time to post...

Bill P.

i heard blue white is out of stock for time being...and due to the characteristics of ebonite no two pens will have same pattern..nice in a way..

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

Thank you for sharing the review of your rather attractive pen. I believe the yellow-green colour is a perfect compliment to the bamboo design.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Take JoWo and ground it to your liking....

Ambitious flex i would recommend you to put in Schmidt nib unit by replacing Schmidt nib ... the feed of Schmidt is perfect combo...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

RANGA BAMBOO FOUNTAIN PEN : PREMIUM EBONITE SMOOTH GREEN-YELLOW

Overall Ill give this pen a 9/10. I plan to get more pens from Ranga in near future. The range of ebonite they offer and the variety of designs in their catalogue is really amazing. The Romillo of India :thumbup:

Thank you for your review..

and congrats in getting pen... I love the green yellow swirl ...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Great review. Looking forward to the demonstrator version.

thanks....

Thank you for sharing the review of your rather attractive pen. I believe the yellow-green colour is a perfect compliment to the bamboo design.

Regards,

Prithwijit

yes yellow green goes nicely with the design. next on my list are premium yellow black and blue white

Thank you for your review..

and congrats in getting pen... I love the green yellow swirl ...

thanks....

Had to review this pen, didn't you? Had to get one in a really beautiful color that is perfect for the unique shape, didn't you? Did all this just to finally push me over the edge into ordering a Ranga Bamboo, which I've been resisting for months, didn't you?

Well, thank you for doing it now, while the group buy is still open.

(And thanks for a great review!)

ron

Had to review this pen, didn't you? Had to get one in a really beautiful color that is perfect for the unique shape, didn't you? Did all this just to finally push me over the edge into ordering a Ranga Bamboo, which I've been resisting for months, didn't you?

Well, thank you for doing it now, while the group buy is still open.

(And thanks for a great review!)

ron

Haha it's a nice pen to add to the collection...good luck with your pen