Ranga Model 8 In Blue, Orange, And Green Ebonite

bobje

A Beautiful pen and a very eloquent review. Thanks very much for sharing Bobje.

Regards

Srinivas

Regards

Srinivas

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobje

• s_t_e_v_e

• RobertJWarren

• mehandiratta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Srinivas, Vaibhav, Mr Kandan, Steve, thank you so much for your kind reaction. You all make such valuable contributions to this community, and I enjoy reading your posts.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

That is a lovely pen, and your choice of the ring an interesting and elegant one. :)

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

I'd be interested to know if the Ranga Bamboo pen that's on offer as a group buy uses the same ebonite stock: the red, orange and blue pen in the photo looks a lot more muted, whereas this just looks spectacular!

Jamerelbe, I enjoy reading your posts and experiences with pens from India. This particular blue, orange, and green ebonite varies considerably across rods, particularly in pattern. You can see the differences between mine and RobertJWarren's, for example, in this thread. My photographs were shot in daylight, where the colors are particularly vibrant. In most indoor lighting, these colors are more muted.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Jamerelbe, I enjoy reading your posts and experiences with pens from India. This particular blue, orange, and green ebonite varies considerably across rods, particularly in pattern. You can see the differences between mine and RobertJWarren's, for example, in this thread. My photographs were shot in daylight, where the colors are particularly vibrant. In most indoor lighting, these colors are more muted.

Thanks @Bobje, likewise - reading your review of the Ranga model 8, I'm a bit sorry I didn't jump on board the group buy. I'm very tempted by the Bamboo group buy (though I'm not sure I can stretch to the price right now!), am really impressed with the look of this particular ebonite variety. Maybe I'll wait for a smaller pen? I have a bit of time to make up my mind, either way - but very much appreciate you answering my question.

Something else I'm interested to get your thoughts on: I just received a demonstrator ASA Nauka - decided to go for an eyedropper pen, and swap the nib out if necessary. It took me quite a bit of 'fiddling' to get it to write, but it's up and going now. If you had your time over, would you go eyedropper again... or would you consider purchasing a JoWo or Schmidt nib unit that could also take a cartridge? Cheers!

Bobje - nice review. Your handwriting is enviable and very handsome. Have you used the Fred Eager book or some other resource, or, were you lucky enough to get some good intruction as a schoolboy, or maybe a combo of both?

I want to buy a Ranga pen either a # 4 or #5 and have looked at them on their Amazon portal but can't figure out how to specify I want a medium nib, the color, or a clip. Mr. Kandan or Ranga Pens if you're reviewing this please PM me.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Jamerelbe, between the 2, the eyedropper is more fun.

Maurizio, good call! Fred Eager's book.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Your excellent writing has inspired me to pull that book down from my shelf and try to reapply myself to its lessons. Thank you for the inspiration and for sharing your review and handwriting.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

I'm late to the party but do want to add my admiration for the pen, the review and the the handwriting. I do enjoy the personal touches more that an (generally futile) attempt at complete objectivity.

One question, Bobje: This very attractive ebonite appears to have a matte finish. Does it have a matte finish in fact, or is the appearance an artifact?

Thanks for sharing.

David

I just love your review, thank you. Me, my two are waiting for me to arrive home next month, having been delivered some time ago. Now I am really excited...thanks again!

David, Ian, thank you. The finish is not really matte, but I wouldn't call it the glossiest finish either.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

David, Ian, thank you. The finish is not really matte, but I wouldn't call it the glossiest finish either.

It is polished to a state to which it remains after a long use ...

Highly glossiest finish looses shine after usage and comes to the state in what actually the pen is currently...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Vaibhav, that's a fascinating design point -- sustainable gloss finish over time.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Vaibhav, that's a fascinating design point -- sustainable gloss finish over time.

Totally....

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I'm also late to the party, but as a fan of Indian ebonite pens, I thoroughly enjoyed the review! The pen looks to be a classic, and I like the swirly multicolored vibe. The size of the pen is appealing; most of my ebonite EDs are on the larger size and trying some with less girth is on the wish list here. The dolphin ring I'm not sure about, but without a clip I suppose a roll stopper of some kind is a good idea.

You've got a very nice hand as well. Thanks again!

Happiness is an Indian ED!

• 8 months later...

Waaay late to the party..

I've been looking at Ranga HR pens this morning, and when I arrived here to do a search on Ranga, your review popped out as the first review the search results. And I couldn't be happier that it did, as your words really spoke to me. The bowling, Big Lebowski, and John Goodman references sprinkled throughout had me chuckling and nodding my head, "Yep I can fully relate."

By the way, I myself intensely dislike what I call clown car wheels with the rubber bands stretched onto them. I'm old school; I want serious meats on 15 inch rims, 16 at most.

Your handwriting is something to aspire to as well.

Excellent job, sir!

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

• 6 months later...

Bobje, Your pen and handwriting is very beautiful. Thank You for sharing.

Let me also show You my Ranga model 8 pens which I ordered in the last group buy. These are my first ebonite pens and I like the ebonite very much. It feels warm in hand, and seems to be anti-scratchy.

These photos are made in day light. The colours of all pens in reality is more pale.

The colours are: Bamboo - pale green; Model 8 - one is orange + black section and the other is Rose Red – Mauve Ripple (colour N 13 from the top post). I would say that the rose red-mauve pen is in fact a beautiful combination of red and dark blue.

The pens write excellent, it is a pleasure to use them.

post-136779-0-11560300-1507566269_thumb.jpg

post-136779-0-59485200-1507566276_thumb.jpg

post-136779-0-03226800-1507566290_thumb.jpg