Blackstone Barrier Reef Blue

Jamerelbe

I've been meaning to post a review of some of the Blackstone "Colours of Australia" inks for some time now - but didn't realise till I checked that these inks have been in my possession for a little over 6 months. That makes sense, actually - I ordered them just before moving house, which coincided with a whole lot more stuff to get done, both on the home front and at work! No matter: I've had 6 months to get to know these inks, and try them out in a variety of pens - and to come to really appreciate (some of) them.

Full disclosure: Kevin from JustWrite.com.au has sent me ink samples and pens in the past, free in return for testing and/or review - but this range of inks I purchased with my own funds.

I can't decide which of the Blackstone inks I like best, but it's a toss-up between the blues. Sydney Harbour Blue (review to come) is a darker tealy-blue which looks more 'serious', while Barrier Reef Blue is a vivid, bright blue colour that really does (maybe?) remind me of a tropical reef. Both inks flow well in my pens, shade well, and produce a certain amount of sheen - but more on that later.

Here's a photograph of the review page I filled out - it captures the hue a little better (I think) than the scan which follows.

Photo:

post-108160-0-76896300-1467124966_thumb.jpg

Scan:

post-108160-0-97696600-1467125030_thumb.jpg

I really like the brightness of this colour - it shades (and sheens) when using a wider nib, and produces a brighter blue colour with finer nibs.

Just to give an idea of how it sheens, here's a close-up of text written on Rhodia paper with a 1.1mm Bock stub nib (check out the pinky outline):

post-108160-0-79360700-1467125135_thumb.jpg

And here's the slight sheen that's possible writing on regular (Reflex) copier paper!

post-108160-0-44375700-1467125179_thumb.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• Cyber6

• visvamitra

• migo984

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not bad.

Thank you - I'll take that as a compliment, though I suspect the praise is more for the ink than for my handwriting (!). The added bonus for me is that this is an Australian-made ink, so shipping costs don't add significantly to the cost - a really nice ink at a very reasonable price!

Thanks for the review. I too have been using Colours of Australia inks for several months. I do like Black Stump. Daintree Green is one of the wettest inks I've got, & I've got a few! It needed a fine, dry nib to tame it. The colour is great though. My Uluru Red has gone a bit gunky, sadly.

But Barrier Reef Blue is just a great ink. And the sheen is stupendous. One of my pen pals said the ink in one of my letters to him looked like a particularly dazzling disco ball from the 1970s! :-)

It is very good to find some new ink makers/suppliers here in Aus. Makes a change from having to buy from overseas. It's just a shame that we've had delays with our recent orders from JustWrite & have twice received the wrong quantities.

Verba volant, scripta manent

THIS IS A FANTASTIC INK!!!.. One of my favorites and it had been i my pen since I acquire it almost a year ago... (I was testing it)..

I have NEVER ran into problems with it. After almost a year.. (with regular use).. still starts up perfectly well. I haven't clean my pen since I keep refilling with BRB... so there you go.

:D :D

Thanks for the awesome review...

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Thanks for the review. I too have been using Colours of Australia inks for several months. I do like Black Stump. Daintree Green is one of the wettest inks I've got, & I've got a few! It needed a fine, dry nib to tame it. The colour is great though. My Uluru Red has gone a bit gunky, sadly.

But Barrier Reef Blue is just a great ink. And the sheen is stupendous. One of my pen pals said the ink in one of my letters to him looked like a particularly dazzling disco ball from the 1970s! :-)

It is very good to find some new ink makers/suppliers here in Aus. Makes a change from having to buy from overseas. It's just a shame that we've had delays with our recent orders from JustWrite & have twice received the wrong quantities.

Thanks for your comments! The reason I'm hesitant to review all the inks is that my Uluru Red was also gunky - as was the replacement bottle sent to me. I believe the ink has now been reformulated to address this problem - but I also don't find it the most appealing of reds. I like the Daintree Green - though I haven't found it overly gushy.

Sorry to hear about your ordering issues - the last I heard from Kevin ("Mr JustWrite"), he'd recently lost a key employee, and given the small size of his operation that was causing him some big headaches. Hopefully it'll all be back on track soon!

THIS IS A FANTASTIC INK!!!.. One of my favorites and it had been i my pen since I acquire it almost a year ago... (I was testing it)..

I have NEVER ran into problems with it. After almost a year.. (with regular use).. still starts up perfectly well. I haven't clean my pen since I keep refilling with BRB... so there you go.

:D :D

Thanks for the awesome review...

C.

Thanks @Cyber6, I've been a bit pressed for time recently, but glad to have a couple of new reviews up. Good to know you're enjoying the CoA inks too - I'll try to get up a review of the Daintree Green, then (maybe) red and black...

The reason I'm hesitant to review all the inks is that my Uluru Red was also gunky - as was the replacement bottle sent to me. I believe the ink has now been reformulated to address this problem - but I also don't find it the most appealing of reds.

I need to check my Uluru.. I haven;t use it since I did a quick review on it, I like my reds darker and I keep using Red Cashmere since almost 2-3 years ago..

I'll report back if I find it gunky.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Thanks for the review. This looks like a really pretty color.

My husband will NOT thank you, BTW.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I need to check my Uluru.. I haven;t use it since I did a quick review on it, I like my reds darker and I keep using Red Cashmere since almost 2-3 years ago..

I'll report back if I find it gunky.

C.

I caught this fairly early on (the 'benefits' of being an early adopter), and Kevin got straight onto it - so it may or may not be a problem for you. My impression was that the problem was caused by one of the 'ingredients', that didn't affect every bottle equally - it wasn't a fungal growth or anything.

Thanks for the review. This looks like a really pretty color.

My husband will NOT thank you, BTW.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

My wife has learned to roll her eyes at my purchases - *most* of the time. Thankfully, inks aren't as big an expense as pens... :thumbup: