My latest ink is Diamine Tyrian Purple
This week the Wimbledon tennis tournament started and I'm a big fan of watching it all on TV. So I thought it would be appropriate to review a purple ink as that's one of the Wimbledon colours.
Tyrian purple is a technically bromine-containing, reddish-purple, natural dye. Diamine's version is a reddish purple ink that I would call a 'dusty' purple. It's a very attractive colour. It's also a great performer in all of the pens and on all of the paper I tried it with. It has very good shading, but no noticeable sheen.
It wrote straight away without any hard starts or skipping. The flow is excellent and it has great lubrication. Although the flow feels very slightly wet, it doesn't suffer from an overlong drying time.
It's a quite water resistant ink. I could still see all of the writing, even after over an hour, although it darkened in colour.
This is an ink that everyone should buy in an 80ml bottle. A great ink!
I had a problem with my monitor matching up both the review ink colour as well as the comparison inks colours. So I paid particular attention to making sure that the review ink colour looks an accurate match next to the review form. However, I can confirm that my sample of Noodler's BSIAR is that shade of pink!

• Although this isn't sold as a waterproof ink, it shows good water resistance, as do many inks in this colour range. No fade test done, but this dye is known for not easily fading.
  • Bearing in mind the paper I use is thick with a shiny surface, and I used a Libelle M nib, a Waterman F nib and a Lamy 1.1mm nib, this ink took 16-18 secs to dry.
  • It exhibited excellent flow and lubrication and I found it particularly nice to write with. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.
  • It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles
  • Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
  • It's a reasonable price.

fpn_1467098780__diamine_tyrian_purple3a.fpn_1467098819__diamine_tyrian_purple3b.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Heldin

• inkstainedruth

• ian1964

Thank you Chrissy, I love Purple inks and thanks to recent events, Diamine inks are a real bargain for us Australians at the moment :)

Thank you Chrissy, I love Purple inks and thanks to recent events, Diamine inks are a real bargain for us Australians at the moment :)

Thanks and I'm pleased for you. :)

For us......nothing anywhere is a bargain. :(

Tyrian Purple is one of those inks that has the sort of crisp dark edge shading to the the lines (I don't have a good name for what it does -- I can just point to inks that *do* it; vintage Skrip Peacock is another ink that I get that effect).

Thanks for the review. I love Tyrian Purple.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you for the review. I always look forward to them.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

Tyrian Purple is one of those inks that has the sort of crisp dark edge shading to the the lines (I don't have a good name for what it does -- I can just point to inks that *do* it; vintage Skrip Peacock is another ink that I get that effect).

Thanks for the review. I love Tyrian Purple.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I have noticed that many Diamine inks have the crisp edge that you mention. When I zoom to 200% + in Photoshop there is a clear black line around the edge of the colour. It is especially noticeable in Diamine red inks. So, assuming they mix using a red ink that has it, you can see it. :)

It sometimes makes erasing errors hard, because I have to be really careful to not erase the outer line. :o

Chrissy, Ruth, I love the dark crisp edge as well, and have heard it described as a halo effect.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Thanks for the review. I'll buy it (the ink) because I stand on Diamines (meant in a positive way) and the halo effect is all the better. This is however, to my taste still too pinkish (more like Tibaldi's Magenta) although BSAIR-ish) sounds alright.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 3 months later...

What an awesome review. I just ordered this ink. I love purple inks but this is different from the other purple inks I have. It has more red in it and I think it makes for a nice change!