Sailor Clear Candy Pink (Cart) Mini Review

chromantic

Here's a quick written mini review of Sailor Clear Candy Pink ink cartridge.

fpn_1466871441__sailor_pink_2_1.jpg

This is a bright, cheerful pink and, while the color in the scan is fairly close, it's a little too heavy - the actual color is more delicate. The line, also, is too heavy in the scan; even with such a fine line there's some really nice shading, much of which is lost in the scan. Flow is good, and on the cheap copy at work there was no feathering or show-through to speak of.

What really surprised me, though, is that there is gold sheen, too, apparent even with this very fine nib.

fpn_1466871626__crop_2.jpg

fpn_1466871639__crop_3.jpg

fpn_1466871650__crop_4.jpg

I was even more excited when I saw this. I've ordered more cartridges and another Sailor pen with, hopefully a slightly broader nib (F, as opposed to MF) to maybe bring out the sheen more; I could always try the fude nib again, on the good paper.

I got my Montblanc Pink carts but am still waiting on the Pelikan pink carts (and a pen to use the MB in); when I get everything together, I'll do a comparison. Also have Shaeffer pinks coming, as well.

Here's the pen, btw.

fpn_1466872588__pen_2.jpg

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chromantic

• conib

• vorpal

• thudthwacker

This is definitely a very cute pink. Recently, I bought a bunch of cartridges and transferred the ink into a vial so I could use it with a broader-nibbed pen. Haven't gotten around to it yet, though.

Thanks for the great review chromantic -- and not so mini, IMO.

I'm a fan of a couple of these Clear Candy ink cartridges (sky blue and red-brown). I haven't gotten around to trying the pink carts yet, but thanks to your review it's no longer on a back burner.

I've obtained a few packs of most of the colors, planning to empty some of each into vials for a swab and a test with a Dollar 717i. I've just made the first such vial (of sky blue) a couple of days ago.

I've seen recently on Rakuten and on eBay (engeika) where Sailor is now marketing some (but not all) of those Clear Candy colors in "Sailor Jentle" packaging. I'm planning to get a few of them too, to confirm whether my favorites are the same ink in both incarnations.

I've obtained a few packs of most of the colors

After seeing the results here with the pink, I was thinking of checking out some of the other colors, as well - probably orange first, in case it turns out to be like Apricot.

No, no, no. Aaaaargh. Apage satani.

Harry uses sheen-y pinks to tempt us now? Who knew!

After seeing the results here with the pink, I was thinking of checking out some of the other colors, as well - probably orange first, in case it turns out to be like Apricot.

That would be great! (I don't have Apricot -- or Honey, or that other one that's supposed to also be very Apricot-like -- so I can't make that comparison myself.)

Ordered orange, yellow and sky blue, est.delivery 7-6 to 7-22.

First off, great review, and I dig the Elder Futhark handwriting style. :D

That said:

(Sits up straight in chair with actual "!" hovering over head, heads with great speed to Popular Online Auction Site.)

(Hm; several buying options available. Two cartridges for $4 shipped, or twenty cartridges for $10.50? Well, if I really don't like them, I suppose they're well-packaged for a pay-it-forward kind of arrangement.)

Yeah, I'd just paid $10 for 5 2-packs of the pinks, so I just bought 2-packs on the others.

Aw, shucks, t'ain't nothin' - adopted that style back in '79 or thereabouts. But thank'y for the kind words.

Yeah, I'd just paid $10 for 5 2-packs of the pinks, so I just bought 2-packs on the others.

I actually misread the auction; I saw "10" and thought it was 10 packs, not 10 cartridges. 'Tis the latter. I still think I'm just going to get 10 and plan on sending them off to good homes if it turns out that I don't like them. Now I just have to figure out how best to punch a hole in the Sailor carts, as I have no Sailor pens and don't plan on getting any.

Ordered orange, yellow and sky blue, est.delivery 7-6 to 7-22.

Where did you buy them? I ordered some from eBay, but it turns out they were out of stock. JetPens no longer carries them.

Ordered the orange, yellow and blue from engeika on ebay. The 10 pinks I got from ssquare_gifts but they're now showing 0 available. :( But engeika has the pink in stock. :)

I bought these for my daughter so now I'm going to have to try them out. (I'm sure she won't notice that the pink ink is missing.)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Ordered the orange, yellow and blue from engeika on ebay. The 10 pinks I got from ssquare_gifts but they're now showing 0 available. :( But engeika has the pink in stock. :)

I got some from engeika. I had originally ordered from ssquare, but they cancelled the order. Is this ink going out of production? It's difficult to find.

I got some from engeika. I had originally ordered from ssquare, but they cancelled the order. Is this ink going out of production? It's difficult to find.

I sent a query to Taizo (engeika), asking this question. He in turned queried Sailor, and in his response to me, Taizo confirms that "Sailor has already stopped making Candy Cartridges."

Unfortunately, it appears that the new Sailor Jentle two-pack cartridge line is (currently?) missing two colors from the Clear Candy line: orange and yellow. I've not tried either color yet.

An interesting color. Almost the way I wish Diamine Claret looked.

And did someone mention Futhark? I see more Futhorc. But that's just semantics.