Earned $25, Want To Spend It On A New Pen

phillieskjk

I just completed the tenth grade in high school, and one of the major projects for tenth graders in my school is a ten page paper on the works of an American Author of our choice. I chose Saul Bellow, and my paper earned an A grade. After the school year ended, I had my essay published to an online literature analysis anthology (with my name attached and credit given) and received $25. I would like to use this $25 to get a special pen to commemorate the school year and all the work I put into the paper. So far I've considered something custom or unique like an ASA Nakua, or more common options like another Safari. What pens would be best to help me always remember the project and year? Also, are there any other more "custom" pens, or even pens that have optional engraved barrels, in my price range?

Thanks,

Phillieskjk

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• phillieskjk

• Laura N

• Runnin_Ute

• Dickkooty2

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, Congratulations. :thumbup: :D

As for getting a pen to commemorate the event, not a lot of "special" pens - custom or not are available for $25 or less. What you might want to do, is put say another $20-25 and your options open up considerably.

The TWSBI Eco goes for under $30 and is a really nice pen. Piston filler, choice of nibs - EF, F, M, B, and stub nibs. (I have the 1.1 mm stub) All clear, clear with white cap and piston knob and black cap and piston knob. Technically the nibs aren't interchangeable like its big brother the 580 or the Vac 700.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Congratulations! Please give us a link to your paper.

I also suggest putting a little extra money together with your $25. You can message or email Mr. Subramanian at ASA to see if he would inscribe the barrel with something brief to remind you of your project and and determine any additional costs. Any Nauka will be more than 25.

The Eco, Safari and Al-Star are less than or a little more than $25. All good choices (if the Lamy grip suites you). There are others, but someone else would have to help out there.

Let us know what you decide.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

My first fountain pen was a Safari, so my recommendation goes to that--it's a really nice, snazzy looking pen! It is a very fun and well-made writing tool...and it comes in cool colors to boot. I still use it fondly today :)

You can probably get it engraved by any jewelery store, but I'm not sure how much that would cost in addition.

Anyhow, good luck finding your perfect pen, and congratulations!!

“Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand.”
—George Orwell

Congrats.

While not custom, my vote goes to the TWSBI Eco. Just a hair over your $25, but a solid performer.

Congratulations on being published. I'd recommend a Parker 45. A wonderful "vintage" pen that is bulletproof and widely available on eBay. If you watch carefully on should be in your budget.

http://0101.nccdn.net/1_5/3a1/2f8/12c/pp891.JPG

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Thank you for all the replies! The twisbis and the Parker are interesting. The pen does not necessarily have to be custom, just unique enough to always remind me. I was also considering a noodlers Konrad. Do you think a Konrad would fit the bill? (I'm willing and capable to heat set the feed and tune the nib if needed).

I would get the Dark Lilac Safari, since it's a limited edition out right now. That means it's "unique enough to always remind you" of this time in your life, and your winning essay. A Safari is also an excellent pen that will last years and years with no trouble.

But don't engrave a Dark Lilac Safari. That one should hold its value, or even appreciate.

If you don't like the Dark Lilac color, then you could get the Charcoal Safari. In which case, engrave away. :)

Vanness will engrave pens, and they are very nice. Vanness also will engrave ink bottles, and that could be another good option, because you can refill an ink bottle forever and use it with any pen.

A Pilot Metropolitan would be a good choice within your price range. Chances are that, at some time in the future, you'll have other, more expensive pens, but the Metropolitan is one you will still want to use. It comes in several colors, some bright and some more conservative.

My vote goes to the TWSBI Eco, Lamy Safari, and the Pilot Metropolitan. All of these are excellent, good writing pens.

Advantages of each pen:

TWSBI: Largest ink capacity, easy visibility of ink, piston filler, cap posts well

Safari: Wide variety of interchangeable nibs, easy visibility of ink, cap posts well

Metro: Wide variety of interchangeable nibs, two pens can be purchased within you budget, cap doesn't post reliably

Disadvantages of each pen:

TWSBI: Generally non-interchangeable nibs. Track record of breakage is unknown as it is a new model, however mine has shown no signs of problems.

Safari: For some the section shape is not comfortable (although I find it a non-issue), sometimes tends to dry out (from nib and also from convertor) if not used regularly.

Metro: Smaller section which makes writing uncomfortable for lengthy writing sessions, weighs more, smaller ink capacity, Same ink loss issues as Safari but even more profound.

All that being said, and it is strictly my opinion, I prefer and recommend the Eco and the Safari.

I must however say that the Parker 45 is an excellent pen and can be found priced in you budget, with some judicious patient shopping. I would recommend that if you want one, buy from a reliable known seller particularly those here on FPN. Buying can be a hit or miss situation on Ebay.

Edited by MKeith

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

I would get the Dark Lilac Safari, since it's a limited edition out right now. That means it's "unique enough to always remind you" of this time in your life, and your winning essay. A Safari is also an excellent pen that will last years and years with no trouble.

But don't engrave a Dark Lilac Safari. That one should hold its value, or even appreciate.

If you don't like the Dark Lilac color, then you could get the Charcoal Safari. In which case, engrave away. :)

Vanness will engrave pens, and they are very nice. Vanness also will engrave ink bottles, and that could be another good option, because you can refill an ink bottle forever and use it with any pen.

I would, but I already have a Dark Lilac Safari. I love it! In terms of the metropolitan, I already have a prera, and I'm not sure how different it would be.

Google MidnightPens on etsy. Gary has several Esterbrook pens from $20-$35. I have two Esterbrooks from him and am a satisfied customer. The Esterbrook was a common school pen in the 1950s (when I was in 10th grade) and I think it would be a great pen to commemorate your accomplishment.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

If you're good with your hands, perhaps start looking at vintage pens that are easy to restore. Esterbrooks will get a lot of votes, but there are many choices, and you can get a fine looking pen for not much money if you're patient.

If you want it to be appropriate to your accomplishment, do you have any information on what kind of fountain pens Saul Bellow favored? If you're lucky, it would not be one of the rarer and more expensive sorts.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

If you've never heard of it, check out the Fountain Pen Revolution website.

They have a lot of beautiful pens in your price range, and the shipping is reasonable.

A Pilot Metropolitan would be a good choice within your price range. Chances are that, at some time in the future, you'll have other, more expensive pens, but the Metropolitan is one you will still want to use. It comes in several colors, some bright and some more conservative.

I second the Pilot Metropolitan. It was my first fountain pen and even though I have pens now that cost more and probably look better, the Metro is still one of my favorite writers!

Also, huge congratulations on getting published while still in his school! That's quite an accomplishment!

Congratulations on being published. I'd recommend a Parker 45. A wonderful "vintage" pen that is bulletproof and widely available on eBay. If you watch carefully on should be in your budget.

http://0101.nccdn.net/1_5/3a1/2f8/12c/pp891.JPG

A Flighter could be as well... and with a little luck might get a gold (14k) nib!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I would, but I already have a Dark Lilac Safari. I love it! In terms of the metropolitan, I already have a prera, and I'm not sure how different it would be.

Good work on the Safari then. :)

May I offer a different approach.

First ... congratulations on being both published and recognized by your school. And on having the confidence to tackle Saul Bellows, that combination of sophistication and street-smarts.

Now as to approach ...

The award is $25.00. It is the recognition, not a sum to be added to for a better prize. It is the prize that you have, through your own efforts, won.

And you would like to have a fountain pen. Bellows wrote and edited with a fountain pen ... you are right with him.

Now here is a photo of Bellows from Vanity Fair:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/saul-bellow-martin-amis_zpsmeick8pl.jpg

He is looking at you and would like to give you the pen certainly more than handing you $25.00.

But what pen ...

There is no shortage of wonderful pens under $25.00. Browse jetpens or Gouletpens. Find the pen that you think Bellows would like to hand you, that you would like to receive, and that you think reflects both the giver and the reward. You are not going to go wrong in your selection. Just don't try to shoot a clogged pen out of your brother's hand.

Congratulations again and please put up the site on which you may be read.

Dickkooty's advice is good, I think. It will mean more if you get a pen for about $25. Then the pen is always connected to the award. It's hard not to like OCArt's suggestion of the P45. You may be able to get one with a gold nib at that price, and they can be smooth, generous writers (the steel nibs can be like that too, for that matter). But, you'll have to spend some time on eBay, might get a bad/abused pen, may need to do a big cleanup, etc. Although I like Kaweco Sports and Pilot 78Gs, the best pen for $20-25, IMHO, is the Nemosine Singularity in acrylic (there are many injection plastic models, but only two acrylic models left at XFountainpens, Nemosine's online seller: Coral and Black Marble). I have both, and they punch far above their weight (price). They are as good as several of the $100+ pens I've bought. They are milled from acrylic rods, like many more expensive pens. Both of mine have XF nibs, which are a tiny bit thicker than a typical Japanese F. They are $19.99, shipped free. For $25 you can get the pen and some of their excellent Chesterfield ink.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0337/0169/products/Pen_53_007-edited_1024x1024.jpg?v=1454349808

The award is $25.00. It is the recognition, not a sum to be added to for a better prize. It is the prize that you have, through your own efforts, won.

Edited by DustyR