The Parker Urban

Aditkamath26

Greetings to all of you. This is my first pen review and it is of the pen Parker Urban. I love this pen as for 50 dollars, I think it is a real STEAL.

Appearance and design-9/10

This pen looks classy with black and gold trim. The peculiar shape of the pen has given it a plus point. I was planning to buy the premium one with all black trim and Tron lines all over. But ended up buying this one due to my love for classic pens with black and gold trim. One mark has been cut due to the nib trim. The whole pen has been furnished with gold except the nib. Otherwise a real looker.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Adit1026/DSC_0008_zpse81w83in.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Adit1026/DSC_0006_zps8cabhpq6.jpg

Construction and Quality-10/10

I believe this pen is made out of brass. Quality is awesome and I have never gotten any issues with it.

Size and Weight-10/10

This pen is of the perfect size for me and fits very comfortably with a good amount of weight.

Nib Design and Performance-10/10

The nib is a smallish nib but is paired perfectly with the pen's shape and tapered section. The performance is excellent and the nib is a champ. Ink flow is just perfect and writes like a true medium. It wrote perfectly out of the box unlike the Parker Vectors which need prayers for the nib to be smooth.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Adit1026/DSC_0007_zpsfy0ncyqy.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Adit1026/DSC_0004_zpsfxlklhmq.jpg

I removed the ink from the red Pilot Varsity that I have and filled it in the Parker cartridge instead.

Overall-9.6/10

This pen is for anyone who wants a classy pen with a smooth nib. For about 50 dollars, you get a pen with a gift box and a cartridge. There is no converter though but it is better than the Lamy Al-Star which came with neither converter nor cartridge. I am very glad with my purchase.

Thanks for reading my first review. Be sure to comment in the section and any questions are welcomed.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aditkamath26

• Jamerelbe

• Kenlowe

• inkstainedruth

Nice review, thank you.

Mid priced Parkers are a very good purchase and offer good value for money, much better in that respect than the Sonnet and Duofolds, in my humble opinion.

f you like the Urban you will also probably like the Latitude.

Thanks for the review - I managed to snag a Parker Urban Premium from an Aus-based store for around AU$20 a year or so ago - an absolute steal - and I agree, it's a pretty nice pen. Mine's more of a 'gun-metal' finish, with black clip and finial rather than the gold on yours, which may partly explain why it was cheaper (?) - but I tend to prefer understated pens.

I'd begun to lose interest in Parker Pens, given the disappointing quality of the budget options that are easiest to find here (the Jotter and the Vector) - but this pen has restored my faith in the brand. Hope you continue to enjoy yours, and will look forward to reading future reviews!

Even a little cheaper than these two is this Parker, very similar nib and can be bought through Ebay, NOS for less than $10.

Jamerelbe, you seriously got a Premium Urban for 20 aus dollars? Wow that is a wow price. BUT AS FAR AS I KNOW, PARKER PREMIUMS ARE COSTLIER THAN STANDARD VERSIONS OF THE SAME PEN

Kenlowe

I agree with you mate. The Sonnets and Duofolds have their own position in the premium lineup whereas these mid range ones are awesome choices for youngsters and people looking for affordable and awesome pens. The pen which you have showed looks good. Do you have it? If yes tell me how it is.

Kenlowe

I agree with you mate. The Sonnets and Duofolds have their own position in the premium lineup whereas these mid range ones are awesome choices for youngsters and people looking for affordable and awesome pens. The pen which you have showed looks good. Do you have it? If yes tell me how it is.

This Parker Reflex is still in the packaging, I havent opened it yet. It is meant to replace a Parker Reflex that I bought a few years ago, still a great writer but the cap got cracked. Using a Latitude right now so I didnt want to open the new one.

Jamerelbe, you seriously got a Premium Urban for 20 aus dollars? Wow that is a wow price. BUT AS FAR AS I KNOW, PARKER PREMIUMS ARE COSTLIER THAN STANDARD VERSIONS OF THE SAME PEN

Correction, it was $AU24, in January of 2015 - Peter's of Kensington had some pens they were selling off at killer prices at the time. I picked up half a dozen Sheaffer VFM fountain pens at the same time, for $6 ea - and could have purchased up a pink Premium IM for AU$10, but decided to pass on it...

Edited by Jamerelbe

Correction, it was $AU24, in January of 2015 - Peter's of Kensington had some pens they were selling off at killer prices at the time. I picked up half a dozen Sheaffer VFM fountain pens at the same time, for $6 ea - and could have purchased up a pink Premium IM for AU$10, but decided to pass on it...

Just to be clear: I gave all but one or two of the VFMs away as gifts - great little pen, not quite as nice as a Pilot Metropolitan, but for $6... it was too hard to resist! [sorry to railroad this thread - back to the Parker Urban now, which is a great pen!]

Even a little cheaper than these two is this Parker, very similar nib and can be bought through Ebay, NOS for less than $10.

Is that the model with with rubberized section? Fair warning -- after a while the rubber disintegrates. I know, because I had two of them. I upgraded to a Parker Vector when I couldn't find Reflexes at Staples anymore, but still had cartridges.

They weren't bad pens, otherwise.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Great first review!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks so much for the review.

There is one point I would like to clarify with the Urban, I had to push in the cartridge with more force than any other Parker, was wondering if this happened by you as well.

PensandpPencilsDotNet you are kind of right with that point. I had to use a fair bit of force to get it in but the cartridge stays in securely due to that tightness.

• 10 months later...

Excellent review. So glad you like it. I got mine recently for $29 as a closeout color. It leaks with any Parker converter I try. Parker carts work well but the flow tends to skip. I am pretty much done with the Parker brand unfortunately.