The Engineering Behind Pen Design....

Ron Z

Fountain Pen Magic is a site worth reading if you are interested in repairing fountain pens. I have said for a long time, that when you go to repair a pen, its a good idea to try to understand why a pen was made the way it was before you go tinkering with it. Even today, there's a lot of science and engineering built into a pens design.

Amadeus Wolfgang has created a website that will keep the repair geek entertained for hours. Detailed information on each facet of pen design. I don't know how I missed it, but miss it I have. No more! Follow the link above and enjoy!

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen Engineer

• pajaro

• Tinjapan

• Martinsroom

Thanks for that link. It really wasn't more fun ruining all those pens finding out how they work. The heart-stopping moments when an Esterbrook Transitional starts smoking or when a feed breaks, and on. Had enough of that old sinking feeling.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

His papers on how nibs work speaks to most of the questions repeatedly asked about nib behavior. Sometimes it's like taking a drink from a fire hydrant, but you will come away smarter.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• 10 months later...

The nib and ink sections were interesting, and make it plain the pen manufacturer's inks will work better in their pens, and their pens work better with their own inks. Interesting that they optimize on blue ink.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The nib and ink sections were interesting, and make it plain the pen manufacturer's inks will work better in their pens, and their pens work better with their own inks. Interesting that they optimize on blue ink.

Ahm... it's blue because that's was sold most :D ... 80%, 15% black and the rest all the others. I found red the nastiest :sick:

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

visit Fountain Pen Design

Fountain Pen Magic is a site worth reading if you are interested in repairing fountain pens. I have said for a long time, that when you go to repair a pen, its a good idea to try to understand why a pen was made the way it was before you go tinkering with it. Even today, there's a lot of science and engineering built into a pens design.

Amadeus Wolfgang has created a website that will keep the repair geek entertained for hours. Detailed information on each facet of pen design. I don't know how I missed it, but miss it I have. No more! Follow the link above and enjoy!

OOOHH! thanks, blush! :blush: Nice to hear.

Any questions, let me know. B) Writing on a chapter on flex nibs... :rolleyes:

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank You Mr. Pen_Ingeneer!! For your simple yet concise explanations of fountain pen design aspects.

As they say, true master is one who can explain complex things in a simple way.

Out of curiosity if I may ask, which pen company did you work for?

Pen_Ingeneer

Thank You Mr. Pen_Ingeneer!! For your simple yet concise explanations of fountain pen design aspects.

As they say, true master is one who can explain complex things in a simple way.

Out of curiosity if I may ask, which pen company did you work for?

Thank you very much for your kind words. Ha ha ha... no, I don't want to tell you, however, there are hints, which the fountain pen enthusiasts can see. :rolleyes:

By the way, the paper on flex nibs is finished. The main reason for writing it was my search for a standard classification and test method for flex nibs. It turned out to be much more. B) It's on my website.

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

• 7 months later...

This website is an absolute delight to read!

I was looking for an in-depth look at how fountain pens work and this is like what's magic about magic ;)

One may think of pens as sort of uninteresting ordinary objects, but the journey to finally get this functional and reliable objects is often far from simple.

Now I have a problem, because after reading this stuff I am more enthusiastic and I want more pens :lticaptd:

This website is an absolute delight to read!

I was looking for an in-depth look at how fountain pens work and this is like what's magic about magic ;)

One may think of pens as sort of uninteresting ordinary objects, but the journey to finally get this functional and reliable objects is often far from simple.

Now I have a problem, because after reading this stuff I am more enthusiastic and I want more pens :lticaptd:

You have a choice and guid your passion! Know much about few pens or little about many. I just like to mention this, I agree with either choice and have followed both. :rolleyes:

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

• 2 years later...
On 11/15/2016 at 10:10 AM, corgicoupe said:

His papers on how nibs work speaks to most of the questions repeatedly asked about nib behavior. Sometimes it's like taking a drink from a fire hydrant, but you will come away smarter.

Tell me what it doesn't tell you, and I will try to include it.

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

On 9/22/2017 at 5:39 AM, pajaro said:

Blue ink?  Because it is by far the most sold... 80% according to the company's books.

with kindness...

Amadeus W.
Ingeneer2

• 9 months later...

Oh wow this is great stuff, I just sat down for 5minutes... 20minutes ago 

really absorbing content and good writing style, thanks so much!