Lamy Studio Or Aurora Ipsilon

FountainPenNovice

Hi,

I need help choosing my next pen. I cannot decide between the studio and the ipsilon. I would prefer to get a fine nib. Which one would you get and why? If you think another pen is better at the same price, please say so.

Thank you.

Edited by FountainPenNovice

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncial

• corgicoupe

• Old_Inkyhand

• FountainPenNovice

I have a brushed stainless steel Lamy Studio and it is a very competent pen within its price range. I have various steel nibs, M, F, EF, which are easily interchangeable, and they all write smoothly. It is always possible to obtain a gold nib. The pen is comfortable to hold, doesn't have any starting problems, has good flow and is pleasant to use. I have no knowledge of the Aurora.

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

Sorry I couldn't resist a comment on the sp. in the title (now fixed). On saying that, Lamy make good pens in my experience. I don't always appreciate the styling of them though. I've read lots of complaints about the Ipsilon, but never used one myself.

Edited by Uncial

I have also heard some complaints about the Ipsilon. Lamy Studio is probably more reliable and you can have a few easily swappable nibs. I am not a big fan of Lamy's fine steel nibs, but the wider nibs and stubs are pleasant (based on my experience). I don't think I want to have a Lamy Studio with a steel nib, but I really liked the gold nib version. It is not very expensive (regarding the fact that it is a contemporary pen with a gold nib).

I have no complaints about my two Ipsilons, however, there is a considerable difference in nib width although both are labeled F. One writes like a M and the other like an EF. I like them both, though - they sit well in the hand, have a good ink flow, a neat cap closure, and good converter. The styling reminds me of a Bialetti espresso maker, which for me is a definite plus. A true cafe writer.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Ahh... a Bialetti Moka makes the best coffee, particularly with Illy coffee. And it only costs about $20!

I bought an Ipsilon at the recent Atlanta pen show. It has a fine nib, writes well, and feels good in the hand. Lamy do not attract me.

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Studio :-) I love that pen (for that price)

... I believe in purple ink

What issues have people had with their Ipsilons? I've heard that the sharp italic nib isn't for everyone (especially those used to factory stubs), but what issues are there with the fine or medium? I've actually been looking at one for my next work pen to celebrate a recent promotion.

I really like Lamy pens, but the only issue I had with the Studio is the slippery, tapered, metal grip. Other than that, it's a great (and stylish) pen for the price, with the added benefit of being able to buy additional nibs from EF to 1.9mm stub. I've had only positive experience with Lamy nibs (including 3 fine nibs), but they definitely are on the broader side.

Oh, and if you are open to other pens at this price, if you don't mind buying from Japan (amazon or rakuten), you could get a Platinum 3776 Century or Pilot Custom 74 for around the same price (including shipping). Both are great pens, and both have gold nibs.

In my experience the Studio stainless Steel isn't a bad pen not one I look forward to using. Personally I struggled a little with the ergonomics I found the size of the section didn't in my view fit well with the size nib. If you look at other pens with the girth of the Studio most of them carry number 6 sized nibs however the Lamy nib is far smaller in size.

I'd personally look at Faber Castell range You shouldn't have any problem finding an ambition in that price range or a loom possibly an Ondoro or an E-motion in that price range.Nibs in my view are better and ergonomics in my view too.

I'd go Lamy persoanlly, or if you want to get something similar price, but different - look into the Karas Kustoms INK or Fountain K. Both good pens with great nib options. If you can use one before hand, all the better.

I have several Lamy Studios and two Aurora Ipsilons. They're both quite good pens, but also quite different. Although roughly similar in size, the Studio is made of metal, and much heavier than the Ipsilon. Of course, that's either a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your preference. The Studio has a slick, metal grip section, whereas the Ipsilon has a plastic grip section with a "lip," between the grip section and the nib. The Studio grip may not be for you if you have sweaty fingers or live in a humid climate. If you write with a very heavy hand (i.e. you like to press the pen very hard against the paper), the Studio is probably the better choice. Conversely, the Ipsilon is probably better suited to writing with a light hand. I like the curving body of the Ipsilon better than the sleek looking body of the Studio, but of course that's purely a matter for personal preference. I have a Studio in the limited edition (and very good looking) color known as Royal Red, and keep it filled with red ink for when I want to mark up documents. I also have an Aurora Ipsilon in Green which is one of my newer pens. I have it filled with Diamine Green-Black and this pen, with this ink, is currently one of my favorite pen-ink combinations. I keep intending to make a post about it, but haven't got round to it.

Nobodysperfect:

What issues have people had with their Ipsilons?

I don't own one, so I am only repeating what I've read, which may or may not be true. I've read a few reviews and opinions where people have expressed a dissatisfaction with the nibs being scratchy and poor performers and people expressing a feeling of 'cheapness' and lack of quality.

I've no idea what they are like. I like the look of them though.

I have also heard about flaking plating and pens drying up quickly. But these observations aren't based on my own experience and can be exaggerated.

Hands down Lamy Studio. It's an industrial work horse pen that you can rely on no problem. In addition you have the option to switch out nibs. Mine came in gold EF, but right now it has a steel B fitted into it. In addition the Aurora Ipsilon looks very back heavy when posted.

I have a Lamy Studio - the version with the brushed metal barrel and cap and the black section. A nice, reliable workhorse pen with the right ink. I have experienced slight feeding problems with (old) Lamy ink, of all things. My version at least has no problems at all with the section being slippery. I second the claim that Lamy nibs run to wide - I usually use M nibs, but I am going to get my next Lamy nib in F.

I've not experienced any of the problems suggested above with my Ipsilon Deluxe. In fact, it's becoming one of my favored pens. I was going to try to describe what I like about it, but by chance I saw that ISW_Kaputnik covered it pretty well in this post already.

But I've only looked at pictures of the Studio, so I can't offer a comparison.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I could not reply. I think I will go with the studio. Possibly a stub nib?