Hero 100 'emperor' - 2016 Model

capillaryAction

I've been reading many helpful reviews here on FPN as I get on my collecting journal, this is the first time I'm posting with a question.

Anyone have experience with the Hero 100 "Emperor" 2016 model?, as shown in this ebay posting: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Model-Hero-Emperor-100-Fountain-Pen-12K-Gold-Fine-Nib-With-Box-/331719526737?hash=item4d3c064951:g:nswAAOSwAKxWWcfJ

I know that the standard Hero 100's Achilles heel is the plastic hood, which can crack, but it doesn't seem to be an issue with the 2016 model's exposed nib. Also this is a converter pen, which might (?) prolong the longevity.

Some other questions for anyone who currently own the 2016 Emperor model:

• What material is the barrel made of? What about the grip section?
  • Is there any Chinese writing on the pen? pictures just show Hero engraved on a bronze-like setting
  • Nib: is it really 12K gold? If so, how do they achieve the 2-tone effect?
  • Is nib replaceable?
  • Some measurements (length, weight) would be nice. A wrting sample is gravy.

Thanks!

Edited by capillaryAction

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• capillaryAction

• richardandtracy

• Trom

• Flounder

Strange... comes with a converter, but can only use bottled ink?

In re: longevity, I would want to have a look inside the cap. If the pen uses a steel clutch of some sort, great. If it just uses a deformable plastic liner, I would expect longevity to be compromised.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Hero 12k nibs, when so stated are 12k.

The nib can be plated with a silvery colour metal. Possibly Chrome, possibly silver, possibly Rhodium. It is unlikely to be very thick, though.

With regard to the writing on the pen - I can't tell you more than in the photos. There are a huge number of Chinese Pen models & it's very difficult to have a sample of 1 in 20 even.

The nib will be replacable, it's probably a #5 or less likely #6. With care you shouldn't need to replace it.

My biggest complaint with Hero Pens is the line width. I hate fine nibs. In Western terms, the nib will be between Fine & Extra Fine. Can't supply a sample I'm afraid.

Durability is likely to be average for a Chinese pen, so looking a bit weary after a year as an only pen.

jewelrymathematics is a respected seller, and used to contribute a bit to FPN as YCGuo or YCPens (can't remember which now). He is a very good bet for Chinese pens.

Regards,

Richard

jewelrymathematics is a respected seller, and used to contribute a bit to FPN as YCGuo or YCPens (can't remember which now). He is a very good bet for Chinese pens.

Regards,

Richard

I bought a pen from him that had flaws. Apparently he did not check the pen before sending it to me.

I don't think there are 'respected' sellers selling Chinese pens. They buy from the factory or a supplier and just send what they got hoping buyers overlook the flaws or don't complain.

Btw, most Chinese pens I bought are just fine, especially the Jinhao 750 and 159 pens.

Edited by Trom

In re: longevity, I would want to have a look inside the cap. If the pen uses a steel clutch of some sort, great. If it just uses a deformable plastic liner, I would expect longevity to be compromised.

Excellent point. I will probably ask him this on eBay (assuming he's a chinese seller that responds to inquiries). But in your collective experiences dealing with Chinese FPs, do the caps tend to have plastic or metal lining, especially for the higher-end gold-nibbed pens?

thanks alot

Durability is likely to be average for a Chinese pen, so looking a bit weary after a year as an only pen.

In what sense exactly? With Chinese pens of similar quality, what would you expect the weak links to be, that will wear down the quickest?

Chrome plating on the clip wearing and looking grey. If the barrel is painted(and I don't know if it is), then the possibility of it chipping/bubbling.

I will say that Hero is 'top tier' of Chinese pens and not as bad as some brands.

Regards

Richard