Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Pilot Vanishing Point Stub Nib

As some of you may already know, there was a new stub nib released for the Pilot vanishing point sometime late last year. I did a cursory search around the web and the best price I can find is from Carmen Rivera. You can buy a vanishing point pen with the stub nib for about $60 more ($135 is the cheapest I've found @ Jet Pens). But if you've already got a few vanishing point pens, why bother with the extra expense (if it was $30~40 more, it would be a no-brainer).

My question is... how does this 1.0mm stub nib compare to the Mottishaw and Binder customized stubs? I have a Binder example and I love it. It may just be superfluous to buy a Pilot branded stub nib.

Thoughts?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doggonecarl

• MYU

• ksm

• Jamerelbe

doggonecarl

The VP stub nib is the only Pilot purchase I regret making. For one thing, it isn't a stub. Mine is a sharp italic with extremely narrow horizontal lines. I really didn't want the contrasting thick/thin line this nib provides. It's sharpness (of the nib itself) also bites into the paper.

I've inked it a couple times thinking I hadn't broke it in, or I was holding it wrong. But no. I have several italic nibs, a couple stubs. I know the difference. I guess I just don't want to admit I made a mistake in buying it.

The VP stub nib is the only Pilot purchase I regret making. For one thing, it isn't a stub. Mine is a sharp italic with extremely narrow horizontal lines. I really didn't want the contrasting thick/thin line this nib provides. It's sharpness (of the nib itself) also bites into the paper.

I've inked it a couple times thinking I hadn't broke it in, or I was holding it wrong. But no. I have several italic nibs, a couple stubs. I know the difference. I guess I just don't want to admit I made a mistake in buying it.

Wow, I very much appreciate your input. It sounds like this would provide no improvement over my Richard Binder customized VP stub nib... something which I cherish. My wishing for a rhodium plated nib will just have to subside. ;)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

doggonecarl

Wow, I very much appreciate your input. It sounds like this would provide no improvement over my Richard Binder customized VP stub nib... something which I cherish.

No, I doubt an off-the-shelf nib could compare to a Binderized nib. Bear in mind, I'm only one person giving his opinion on a nib I purchased. Someone else my have an entirely different opinion, or a better nib. There's always the chance I have a fluke.

I bought a VP stub nib (in black) before Pilot USA hiked the prices by $20, and I'm pretty happy with it, but I can understand why @doggonecarl feels differently: it is (in my view) more of a cursive italic. Similar, I think, to the Plumix B nib I have installed in one of my Pilot Metros - about as sharp and 'scratchy' - but the (gold) VP nib is wetter, springier, and has tipping material to ensure its longevity.

The *huuuuge* advantage of a customised nib over the standard Pilot VP stub nib is that you can get it ground precisely to your preference. Have you considered asking Mottishaw or Binder to grind a rhodium-plated nib? I know the good folks at Indy-Pen-Dance (whom I've never dealt with!) sell gold, black or rhodium, and offer a customised grinding service - and others may too!