Review Of The Asa Azaadi In Opal

bobje

fpn_1465758349__azaadi-hero-11-june-2016

ASA Azaadi in opal

Creating a new ASA Azaadi in opal gave me a four-part tutorial in pen design. I commissioned the Azaadi after reading an account of a stunning similar pen in casein by Prithwijit Chaki, a prolific contributor to the Fountain Pen Network. Inspired by the fine white-on-ivory veins of the casein, I set about looking for a material that would simulate the elegance without the fragility.

fpn_1465758374__azaadi-and-cap-11-june-2[/url]

Capped, the Azaadi is about 1 centimeter longer than a Lamy Safari. Uncapped, it’s about the same length, and considerably thicker.

Lesson No. 1 – Material Selection

The Azaadi, as explained by Chaki, is based loosely on the Churchill design of the most recent version of the Conway Stewart company in the United Kingdom. When Conway Stewart closed shop in 2014, Vince Coates of The Turners Workshop in Newcastle purchased the remaining inventory of blanks and rods, and some of these materials are still available. There wasn’t a matching, veined white material, but opal offered a similar, classic quality. Coates shipped the opal to L. Subramaniam at ASA Pens in Chennai, who sometimes makes custom pens with material supplied by his clients.

This opal doesn’t look like the gemstone. It includes translucent shades of amber, honey, and ivory, like the biscuit color of stained glass table lamps in the Mission, Arts and Crafts, or Tiffany styles. Whatever is underneath the acrylic opal material is visible, especially if what’s underneath is dark. The Azaadi design typically uses black acrylic for the section and finials. Because the opal material remains relatively thick near the finials, most of the black acrylic underneath is obscured. But at the section, where two sets of threads overlap (the cap to barrel and the barrel to section), the material is extremely thin. At this joint, the black section shows through the opal material.

fpn_1465758646__azaadi-section-11-june-2

The opal material is translucent, but white teflon tape masks the black section under the barrel-to-cap threads.

If I were making the pen again, I would probably select a medium-toned, opaque ivory or amber color for the finials and section. But my error also presented a solution – the white Teflon tape used by plumbers to seal pipe fittings. It’s designed to be an extremely thin, white, sealing dry lubricant. Wrapped in a single layer around the threads between section and barrel, it masks the black section underneath. The tape needs to be replaced with ink changes, like lithium grease in an eyedropper, but it’s not a particularly big deal.

Lesson – think not just about material aesthetics, but about how the materials fit together.

Lesson No. 2 – Ink Compatibility

This pen uses a Jowo No. 6, 1.1 mm italic nib and a Schmidt K-5 cartridge-converter. I’ve used this nib in other pens, and never had an issue with ink lubrication. But this particular Jowo nib is choosy about the ink it prefers. The first ink I selected worked beautifully -- a green-olive-brown color mix created by FPN contributor Chrissy, resembling the wrapper of a “candela” cigar. It uses Noodler’s permanent Bad Blue Heron and three Diamine inks. But then I realized that specks from the permanent ink component could stain the interior of the translucent material and show through to the outside. So I swapped out the ink for a conservative Waterman brown. Too dry. I tried Diamine Saddle Brown, another conservative choice. Too dry. My fourth choice, Pilot Iroshizuku yama guri, works smoothly and beautifully.

Lesson – nibs and materials sometimes require different inks.

fpn_1465758666__azaadi-nib-11-june-2016-

fpn_1465758708__asa-azaadi-writing-sampl

Pilot Iroshizuku yama guri ink flows smoothly in this Jowo 1.1 mm italic nib.

Lesson No. 3 – Furniture

The ASA Azaadi has been reviewed several times, including Chaki and Sanyal Soumitra. A regular refrain is that the furniture could be better, and they are right. Furniture is the jewelry of the pen, the first thing people notice, setting a tone for everything else. This furniture is adequate, but no match for the elegant workmanship of the rest of the pen.

Lesson – clips, bands, and rings make a difference.

fpn_1465758414__azaadi-cap-11-june-2016-

ASA tolerances and workmanship outclass the metal furniture.

Lesson No. 4 – Azaadi

The Azaadi is an Indian pen derived loosely from a Conway Stewart design named after Winston Churchill. Chaki explains that the pen was named “Azaadi,” (आजादी in Hindi), meaning "independence, freedom, or liberty.” The name is partly cheeky repartee to Churchill, who strongly opposed Indian independence, and partly a reference to the pen’s launch date on August 15, Independence Day in India.

Azaadi also signifies political, spiritual, and intellectual enlightenment, with various spellings in other Indian and Iranian languages. Beyond the dictionary, the concept of azaadi is rooted in the Indian struggle for independence and the role of Netaji (meaning “Respected Leader”) Subhas Chandra Bose between 1920 and 1945. Bose revamped the Indian National Army and opposed the British during World War II, creating an independent, nationalist legacy that ultimately led to a British decision to withdraw from India. Bose's clarion call -- Tum mujhe khoon do, mein tumhe azaadi doonga (Give me blood, and I promise you freedom) -- shows the importance of azaadi. Based on a British design with a British material, constructed in India, named Azaadi in response to Churchill -- the ASA Azaadi pen is a story about a complicated relationship between India and the UK.

Lesson – a pen is a symbolic tool of intellectual enlightenment. Pens tell stories, but they can also be the story.

In Conclusion – Taking Risks

Creating a new custom pen involves risks. My risks were minimal, because the design already had been used in several other iterations. Some things in my version worked perfectly, including the elegance of the opal material, the balance, and the writing comfort of the section and the nib. Some things didn’t, including my first ink choices, the translucent barrel-to-section joint, and the furniture. In other custom pen designs, I’ve seen how some choices work and some don’t.

Conclusion – regardless of whether risks result in wins or losses, they offer independence of choice, freedom to make mistakes, and opportunity to learn.

fpn_1465758725__asa-azaadi-writing-sampl

Writing sample from another country's declaration of independence. This particular Jowo 1.1 mm italic nib is choosy about the ink it prefers, and permanent inks could stain the interior of the translucent material. Iroshizuku yama guri flows smoothly.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobje

• drmukherjee

• Dupontdelamare

• DrDebG

Wow, Bob. What a beautiful pen. Your review is nicely detailed and the photos are exceptional. Thank you very much for posting this.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Thank you for this great review :)

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Bob, again a great review. Right off, it reminds me of an older Duofold. Except that this one is -- as you say -- much more elegant. I also like your use of the chapters on "Lessons".

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

What a lovely pen and an excellent review. I suspect the Opal acyrlic looks even better in person. I think several of us are now thinking about following the path that you three have blazed.

Dear Bob,

What a fabulous review. You have embarked on taking a completely new tone and tenor in composing your reviews. The Dartmoor Nauka focused on the background of the pen and the materials while this one focusses on your learnings. But despite the difference in the theme you have selected, you do take the reader on a beautiful journey while helping them understand fully the beauty, strength and weaknesses of the writing instrument. The print quality penmanship that accompanies your reviews is also a joy to behold.

Last but not the least, thanks for the kind mention.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

what a brilliant review!!! Love your handwriting, penmanship and a lovely product by ASA..congrats

Sagar Bhowmick

Absolutely lovely and honest review

Pictures are splendid

ASA are making some awesome pens indeed

However, given a choice I would have replaced all black with opal material and probably clipless to avoid the furniture. Super and congratulations

Brilliant review , you're reviews are landmarks regarding the emotional bond between pen and the writer .. Other reviews maybe technical, more useful but you're are in spiritual level .. To elaborate the bond between the pen and writer to, to take lessons from itvand to deepen the bond to reach inner peace... :)

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR INDIAN PENS .. IF YOU HAVE ANY KINDLY PM ME..

Bob,

A wonderful review of a very beautiful pen! I must say the ‘lessons’ you have shared are very pertinent to the process of putting together a custom pen. The Dartmoor Nauka and the Opal Azaadi are really beautiful pens and have excited many a feeble hearts of fellow fountain pen lovers!! I have a couple of Opal rods myself and your lessons shall come in handy when I eventually settle down on the design I want for the pen.

Needless to say, there are many great things about your review but choosing the Declaration of Independence as the material for a writing sample in a review for a pen called Azaadi, really takes the cake!

Thank you for the wonderful review and looking forward to many more.

Regards,

Prads

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice. - A.Davis

OCArt, Northstar, Lapis, Scribblesoften, Prithwijit, Sagarb, Sanjay, Dr. Mukherjee, FountainPagan, Visvamitra, Prads, Dinuraj, J_MM,

Thank you for your many contributions to the global community. In the interest of brevity, I had left out a couple of lines about Subhas Chandra Bose. Because pens can be lessons, in addition to writing lessons, I am reminded to go back and include them. Here are the two sentences I've added to the review.

~~~

Subhas Chandra Bose's clarion call -- Tum mujhe khoon do, mein tumhe azaadi doonga (Give me blood, and I promise you freedom) -- shows the importance of azaadi. Based on a British design with a British material, constructed in India, named Azaadi in response to Churchill -- the ASA Azaadi pen is a story about a complicated relationship between India and the UK.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Wow!!

Beautifully told, you have connected the dots well and presented the emotions well. We will always want keep the Azzadi very close...(Pun intended)

Thanks very much...am glad you liked the pen.

Edited by Subbu_ASApens

Wonderful review and stunning pen!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

What a beautiful pen and what a fine review! And what a timely quotation from the Declaration as well.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

OCArt, Northstar, Lapis, Scribblesoften, Prithwijit, Sagarb, Sanjay, Dr. Mukherjee, FountainPagan, Visvamitra, Prads, Dinuraj, J_MM,

Thank you for your many contributions to the global community. In the interest of brevity, I had left out a couple of lines about Subhas Chandra Bose. Because pens can be lessons, in addition to writing lessons, I am reminded to go back and include them. Here are the two sentences I've added to the review.

~~~

Subhas Chandra Bose's clarion call -- Tum mujhe khoon do, mein tumhe azaadi doonga (Give me blood, and I promise you freedom) -- shows the importance of azaadi. Based on a British design with a British material, constructed in India, named Azaadi in response to Churchill -- the ASA Azaadi pen is a story about a complicated relationship between India and the UK.

It's actually in Bengali "tomra amake rokto dao ,Ami tomader swadhinota debo".. We Bengalis are always proud of him :)

ALWAYS LOOKING FOR INDIAN PENS .. IF YOU HAVE ANY KINDLY PM ME..