3 Pilot Bamboos, 1 Namiki Nib

cursivator

I have three Pilot Bamboos -- silver, black, and maroon (if that's what they call it.) I've noticed on two of them, the nib reads "Pilot," but on the third "Namiki" (I can't remember which of the pens it came from, as I switched the nibs around a little many years ago when I got them.) The nib/feed/sections are identical on all three except for the names engraved on the nibs -- in fact, the Namiki nib and one of the Pilots are both F, so you can't get closer than that. The caps on all three pens read "PILOT." Obviously, Pilot and Namiki are the same company, but this seems very curious to me. Thoughts? I confess part of this is my wondering if I'll have a problem with the value of one if I want to sell them all someday, but mostly I'm just interested -- including for future reference if and as more Pilots might come my way. Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudyhou

• abstract49

• hpk90

• Mon34480

I cannot be completely sure of the correctness of what I am about to say, but I think the ones that say Pilot on them were sold in Japan. The Namiki ones were sold here. I am not sure the red Bamboo pens were ever sold in the U.S.; just the black and rhodium plated.

They were beautiful looking pens, but not the best writers.

• 2 weeks later...

this is news to me. i thought all pilot bamboo fps would only have 'pilot' on their nib, just like mine, instead of 'namiki'. in the shops i've been to here in south east asia, i don't think i have never seen the silver one. i can only assume the silver one might be a special addition and thus uses 'namiki' on the nib? nevertheless, pilot bamboo nib is smooth. better than many on pilot other fps.

-rudy-

Pilot and namiki are the same company but it was only in the recent years where they have made the distinction where namiki is the "premium" version of pilot and marketed that way. Most likely that it was in the transition of making that distinction and/or different marketing where one of the pens are marketed as "premium" in US or japan whilst the other is just marketed as the norm?

Value wise they wont much of a difference tbh though the Namiki nib will probably sell faster but it doesnt change much value wise. Only time where "namiki/pilot" nib actually makes a difference is for the higher end market where pens are clearly marked namiki and the 2nd handmarket is more geared towards collectors and they clearly wont want a "pilot" nib.

I have a silver one and a black one, which I believe were the only ones marketed in the U.S. I was aware from literature that came with them that there was dark red/maroon or such, and a blue, but I have only located one or two of each in Singapore. Didn't buy them, and don't know whether they are still available.

As for not writing well, mine write very well. The big step from barrel to section diameter requires a different grip style to be comfortable, if you can achieve any comfort. I've managed to learn, but I don't keep them inked all the time, so it's a new experience each time.

I have a silver one and a black one, which I believe were the only ones marketed in the U.S. I was aware from literature that came with them that there was dark red/maroon or such, and a blue, but I have only located one or two of each in Singapore. Didn't buy them, and don't know whether they are still available.

As for not writing well, mine write very well. The big step from barrel to section diameter requires a different grip style to be comfortable, if you can achieve any comfort. I've managed to learn, but I don't keep them inked all the time, so it's a new experience each time.

i would agree with you when it comes to the uncomfortable step design on the grip section. this is the only thing that prevents me from using the pen often, otherwise, it writes beautifully. and yes, i have seen the dark red and dark blue ones here in south east asia. and i think i saw them still available in Singapore just last year.

-rudy-