The St Dupont Olympio Or Orpheo And Similar Fountain Pens.

jar

Was Chinese lacquer ever part of their regular edition pens or was it just offered for special or limited editions? I'm still learning about the brand so I'm not sure. I think the only Chinese lacquered pens I've seen were SE or LE.

I have a few Duponts with the leaf and I believe all are Chinese lacquer. I have a more modern lacquered pen that doesn't have the leaf and was marketed just as natural lacquer.

It seems like they recently changed their pen lineup and aren't even making many natural lacquered pens anymore.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• ArchiMark

• manhha

• 1nkulus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ST Dupont uses the best lacquer for a given project; sometimes natural Urushi but also manufactured lacquer when that is a better choice. For examply a true white cannot be found in pure urushi.

My Website

ST Dupont uses the best lacquer for a given project; sometimes natural Urushi but also manufactured lacquer when that is a better choice. For examply a true white cannot be found in pure urushi.

+1

Their lighters are well loved and sought after.

Still looking to acquire one since the previous pen has been borrowed indefinitely.

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to this thread I decided I wanted an Olympio in the large size......and true to form ended up with two :lol:

One is the black and gold trim, which I'm using today

fpn_1533017496__20180731_140709.jpg

and also got the Palladium version circa 1999 which I've not inked yet

fpn_1533018217__olympio_palladio_1.jpg

Lovely pens and handwriting. :thumbup: F or M nibs?

The palladium is one of my favorites.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Lovely pens and handwriting. :thumbup: F or M nibs?

The palladium is one of my favorites.

Both M - but ok as they seem a dryer nib so although I usually use a F, the black at least, is good for me.

Both M - but ok as they seem a dryer nib so although I usually use a F, the black at least, is good for me.

:thumbup:

You could get the palladium nib tweaked for the sake of variety, perhaps an EF. Both pens will last you a lifetime.

Engineer :

The ST Dupont F and EF nibs that I have and have used have all been superb; smooth, wet and responsive.

My Website

The ST Dupont F and EF nibs that I have and have used have all been superb; smooth, wet and responsive.

My experience has been similar, shame I have yet to acquire one for the collection. :(

Engineer :

• 8 months later...

Hi There,

Just looking at some assistance regarding specifications on a Dupont Olympio model # 481350

More specifically is the size and the nib?

1. Is the nib an 18K or 14K -

For those that are familiar with this model should I be looking at purchasing an 18K or 14K version? Pen will be a gift

2. and the size is this a large Olympio or the smaller version?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi There,

Just looking at some assistance regarding specifications on a Dupont Olympio model # 481350

More specifically is the size and the nib?

1. Is the nib an 18K or 14K -

For those that are familiar with this model should I be looking at purchasing an 18K or 14K version? Pen will be a gift

2. and the size is this a large Olympio or the smaller version?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,

If the model number is 481350, I can confirm that:

1. It has the 18k nib

2. This is Extra Large version (481xxx). The Large (smaller one) should have the series starting with 480xxx.

Regards

Thank you for the info that simplifies things a lot for me. Greatly appreciated

Hi there,

If the model number is 481350, I can confirm that:

1. It has the 18k nib

2. This is Extra Large version (481xxx). The Large (smaller one) should have the series starting with 480xxx.

Regards

• 1 month later...

Diamond clip on Dupont Palladium or platinum? I've read that Dupont has used platinum and palladium finishes. Can any one distinguish between platinum and palladium on this model? Either is fine, but I am curious.

post-59195-0-47333200-1559945106_thumb.jpg

post-59195-0-85670000-1559945126_thumb.jpg

post-59195-0-77077000-1559945168_thumb.jpg

post-59195-0-53297900-1559945191_thumb.jpg

post-59195-0-15118500-1559945226_thumb.jpg

Do not agonize about tomorrow. Today has enough troubles of its own. ..Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof...

may I take advantage of the experts on this nice ST Dupont thread?

could you help identify this pen? Is it a Fidelio? (sorry but no better pics available)

Thank you!

fpn_1559946604__st_dupont.jpg

• 1 month later...

may I take advantage of the experts on this nice ST Dupont thread?

could you help identify this pen? Is it a Fidelio? (sorry but no better pics available)

Thank you!

fpn_1559946604__st_dupont.jpg

Sorry for late reply. Yes it is a Fidelio. You can tell by the angle on the top of the clip that holds the famous ST Dupont square. Edited by CoolBreeze

A few other hints to quickly and accurately distinguish a Fidelio from Olympio by S. T. Dupont:

• Fidelio always has a 14k nib; the Olympio models are always 18K
  • Fidelio clips extend almost all the way to the end of the cap; Olympio model clips end noticeably farther away from the end of the cap.
  • Fidelio nibs are shorter (and stubbier), thus considerably smaller than the longer Olympio

Hope this helps distinguish the Fidelios without the need for side-by-side comparisons. :o

Do not agonize about tomorrow. Today has enough troubles of its own. ..Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof...

Other clues to distinguish a Fidelio from An Olympio/Orpheo:

Olympio nibs wrap further around the feed while the Fidelio nibs are relatively flat.

Olympio nibs are partially hooded, Fidelio are never hooded.

My Website

• 4 weeks later...

After days of browsing I decided to try for myself the ST Dupont Olympio... and true to everyones testimony, it goes above and beyond the competition. The warm natural lacquer, the click of the cap, and of course the smooth gliding nib, all combine to offer an experience like no other.

post-152140-0-51295000-1566259623_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tonhao5

I love Dupont pens. Part of me wants to tell other people how great they are so they can also enjoy but another part of me doesn't want other people to know so there's less competition for good deals.