The St Dupont Olympio Or Orpheo And Similar Fountain Pens.

jar

I love Dupont pens. Part of me wants to tell other people how great they are so they can also enjoy but another part of me doesn't want other people to know so there's less competition for good deals.

(Chuckle) :lticaptd: Mulrich, I know the feeling. The key to acquiring a vintage Dupont is a combination of patience and luck. I've had good luck with Duponts and also Waldmanns, which sometimes are overlooked. I've found the W's to be solid, usually sterling, and excellent nibs - including the steel nibs. Both brands can sometimes result in a bargain and offer excellent quality, excluding abuse or damage. :wub: Keepers -

Do not agonize about tomorrow. Today has enough troubles of its own. ..Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• ArchiMark

• manhha

• Mastiff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(Chuckle) :lticaptd: Mulrich, I know the feeling. The key to acquiring a vintage Dupont is a combination of patience and luck. I've had good luck with Duponts and also Waldmanns, which sometimes are overlooked. I've found the W's to be solid, usually sterling, and excellent nibs - including the steel nibs. Both brands can sometimes result in a bargain and offer excellent quality, excluding abuse or damage. :wub: Keepers -

That's true.

I've been searching for another mint ST Dupont Vertigo for a while. Last week there's an Ebay steal on mint XL Vertigo with Broad nib for $400 and it's gone within seconds. Another BNIB Vertigo from Japan for 760 quids was on Ebay and I spent a night consider buying this. When I woke up the day after it's gone.

I'm patient, but not lucky enough :)

That's true.

I've been searching for another mint ST Dupont Vertigo for a while. Last week there's an Ebay steal on mint XL Vertigo with Broad nib for $400 and it's gone within seconds. Another BNIB Vertigo from Japan for 760 quids was on Ebay and I spent a night consider buying this. When I woke up the day after it's gone.

I'm patient, but not lucky enough :)

I saw 2 Vertigos at the DC pen show - I can't remember their condition nor if they were the diamond pattern or the square pattern. One was from Sarj Minhas in the UK and the other was from Toys from the Attic in the USA (NY). You may want to reach out. Toys from the Attic came with box and papers too. Sadly they were not $400 :)

The Vertigo was my first Dupont pen and it's still probably my favorite Dupont model (and one of the few pens I would never consider selling). It took a while, but I eventually found decent deals on the other Vertigo models. I had an eBay alert set up and it seems like a couple good condition used ones would come up every month.

• 4 months later...

Is there any way to date my Olympio XL from the serial number on the pocket clip?

Not that I know of. You might try contacting ST Dupont directly to ask if they could help.

• 9 months later...

I have a couple of Orpheo/Olympios and they're pretty much the perfect shape and weight for me. I have two, a Vertigo XL, which I bought from new, and a slightly iffy Placed I bought off ebay - everything about it looks genuine but it has a spinny cap, as though the section is from an L and the body/cap is an XL. And a square D nib not a swirly D nib. Writes like a Dupont though. I don't use either enough. Can't decide whether to sell them both or go all in and start building up the collection!

Edited by unground

• 2 months later...
On 1/10/2020 at 4:54 AM, jar said:

Not that I know of. You might try contacting ST Dupont directly to ask if they could help.

I have the same question about my Fidelio, in blue lacquer with black resin section. As near as I can read it, the number is 8FEP31 . (I have asked the same question in another forum, but now I realize I'm more likely to get an answer here. I have submitted a query also to ST Dupont's contact page, in fractured French; if they reply I'll post again. 

This thread has inspired me to ink it up again, it's been awhile. It's my only ST Dupont pen, and I like the size quite a lot. I have found since I bought it, however, that I'm not a fan of lacquered metal pens. Maybe this one is the exception. 

8 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I have the same question about my Fidelio, in blue lacquer with black resin section. As near as I can read it, the number is 8FEP31 . (I have asked the same question in another forum, but now I realize I'm more likely to get an answer here. I have submitted a query also to ST Dupont's contact page, in fractured French; if they reply I'll post again. 

This thread has inspired me to ink it up again, it's been awhile. It's my only ST Dupont pen, and I like the size quite a lot. I have found since I bought it, however, that I'm not a fan of lacquered metal pens. Maybe this one is the exception. 

They answer questions written in English as well.

On 12/30/2020 at 8:01 AM, jar said:

They answer questions written in English as well.

And they responded in English. Here is the relevant part of their response: 

"Unfortunately due to a fire we had a few years ago in our archives we cannot identify your pen by its serial number. we sincerely apologize."

• 4 months later...

I have a question to the owners of Olympio - do you have anything engraved on the section of your pen below the thread that goes into the pen's barrel? I saw E07 engraved on one Olympio pen with the thin line above E letter - sort of "overscore" as an opposite to "underscore". Sorry, was not able to make a picture. Any idea what this could mean? Encoded production date? Thank you! 

• 7 months later...

Hi all! I am wondering if anyone has the Dupont Line D Guilloche. I’ve been ogling it as my grail pen, but the one lingering concern I have about it is the fluted metal grip. In my experience, textured grips can bite into your fingers after a long writing session, yet in all the reviews I can find on the pen, those who mention the fluted texture praise it. Is the grip indeed comfortable for prolonged writing, or do you feel the grooves when writing extensively?

Any other comments you have on the pen are also welcome!

• 1 month later...

@NicBay

Out of my dozens of fountain pens, I find my Olympio Large, not XL, the most comfortable writer with the metal section.

Perfect balance, perfect nib. Beautiful and elegant in Chinese Black Lacquer.

• 8 months later...
On 6/8/2019 at 5:09 AM, Buzzie said:

post-59195-0-53297900-1559945191_thumb.jpg

I just bought a fake Olympio in barleycorn finish, XL size. I knew it was fake when I bought it - the seller is a guy I buy from a lot and he was upfront about it being fake - and I paid the equivalent of about $6 USD for it. (It's actually a very nice pen, regardless, and I certainly got more than my money's worth.) The main reason I bought it is because I'm interested in buying more Duponts and I want to learn how to spot a fake. The 'tells' for me with this pen are that, compared to my Montparnasse and Classique, the serial number was printed too cleanly and I think the number might be one that is used for fakes - 5JOHB45: Google that number and you will find multiple pens with it. The cap also has a tiny bit of a wiggle when on - not a lot but enough that it doesn't seem up to snuff. Interestingly, the nib is not magnetic and looks to be done quite well.

Anyway, it has the same feed as the one pictured above. Did the Olympio ever come with a feed like this?

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens