Suspicious Parker...maybe?

TXKat

Alright, I purchased a pen this past weekend at the local flea market. It has a cap that says Parker around the very bottom, but the clip isn't an arrow. the body is similar to a '51 (from what i know), but there is a large brass band on the body, perhaps a home fix for cracked threads? Cap fits well. Very comfortable in the hand.

Anyone have any ideas as I have none! There is no marking on the pen whatsoever, the nib is silver in color and the filling system is a bulb squeezer setup, stating Parker...

Here are a couple of snaps of this odd pen. you can see the brass band on the body,

fpn_1465322674__inside_1_parker.jpeg

PEN IN THE BACK IS THE ABOVE MENTIONED PEN...

fpn_1465322755__all_1_pens.jpeg

But......it cost me $1. The sack is viable and it even has a lovely bluish grey color ink in it!

Best part....it writes like a dream with a wonderful line!!!

Any information would be helpful and very much appreciated.

(The other capless body has a really cool nib, but doubt it's a Parker and it, too, has no markings!)

Thank you!

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• pajaro

• TXKat

• richardandtracy

Parker 21

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

But what is the wide brass band on the barrel end? Is that something custom made to cure the crackes in the barrel?

Khan M. Ilyas

But what is the wide brass band on the barrel end? Is that something custom made to cure the crackes in the barrel?

That was my first guess, but if you look inside the barrel, there are no signs of a crack at all. It give the pen some heft, but it's still really well balanced.

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

It is the first time I see this kind of band on a Parker 21 barrel. Strange. Well, to me at least.

Khan M. Ilyas

The brass thing is to add the FUD factor.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

FUD = Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

Is that a marketing or a political strategy?

Yes.

But why 'or' rather than 'and'?

I'm sure it's to do with cracking. The original barrels on the P21 cracked quite badly. Maybe the original owner heard of this, and fitted the brass ring to give support so the open end of the barrel didn't crack.

Regards,

Richard

Yes.

I'm sure it's to do with cracking. The original barrels on the P21 cracked quite badly. Maybe the original owner heard of this, and fitted the brass ring to give support so the open end of the barrel didn't crack.

Regards,

Richard

So 'a marketing and a political strategy', then.

Khan M. Ilyas

I concur! Luckily, it wasn't a legal strategy...

I shall polish the brass to a high shine and use it proudly!! It writes beautifully! And it was affordable, with no work (besides cleaning) needed!

Thanks for all of the great responses.

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

Yes.

Regards,

Richard

With "and" there is more mayhem brought about.

That's an excellent explanation of the ring on the barrel. I have had both 51 and 21 barrels crack. and I bought replacement barrels, not having considered such a repair ring. The ring adds a bit of interesting cachet to the pen, not to mention FUD.

The first time I heard FUD mentioned was in the Air Force, where fellow junior officers used the term to describe senior officers' management style. Later on, in my IT career FUD was a frequently used term to describe nearly any goings on, particularly by software houses.

FUD is a disinformation strategy used in sales, marketing, public relations, politics and propaganda.

So was the ring put on the barrel end of this pen to disinform us all about the motives?

Khan M. Ilyas

More likely that someone is suffering from a sense of humour.

Regards,

Richard

I reckon 'somone' here means pajaro. Lol

Khan M. Ilyas

Just the facts. Software houses were viewed with particular skepticism. Announcement following announcement and no software. Software programs full of undocumented features. Some of us spent our careers fixing stuff.