Montblanc Legrand 146; Real Or Fake?

BarneyTheOwl

Dear members,

First of all I want to introduce myself. I am a medical student who is almost graduating. For some time now I am exploring the wonderful world of fountainpens and since my tutor has expanded his collection with a beautiful Montblanc Etoile fountainpen, I have fallen in love with the Montblanc series and the way they write. I decided to have a look on the internet for an affordable, secondhand Montblanc fountainpen.
Yesterday I saw a nice 146 LeGrand model online for sale.
The advertisement says it’s a vintage model, dated around the 1990’s. Apparently it has a singed 'W. Germany' on the top. Unfortunately no box or receipts are included. As non-expierenced as I am, it is hard for me to check/verify whether this pen is real or fake
I included some pictures the seller sent me and would like to ask you if you could say anything about the authenticity. The price is 150 euro’s. If it is a genuine one and worth the price, I consider buying it :)
Many thanks in advance and looking forward to your comments!
Greetings from Holland.

post-130329-0-95793100-1465078555.jpg

post-130329-0-60540800-1465078565.jpg

post-130329-0-40666600-1465078598.jpg

post-130329-0-00167200-1465078923_thumb.jpg

Edited by BarneyTheOwl

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarneyTheOwl

• CS388

• Erik Dalton

• Scribblesoften

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it is a 146 it should be a piston fill pen. If it is cartridge/converter it is a fake. So, that is the first question to ask.

The fourth picture shows an ink window so I think it's safe to say it is a piston fill. You can also call Montblanc and have them run the serial number of the pen to confirm is authenticity.

Ask more questions. Was the pen repaired by Montblanc? The ink window says older pen but the serial number on the clip says after 1992. Was the clip replaced?

My Website

Welcome to FPN

As well as authenticity, you should also consider nib size.

The pen in your pictures looks like it has a Fine, or even Extra Fine nib. Is this what you're looking for?

I agree with previous posters: ask more questions re the pen's previous history (and nib size).

From what I can see, it looks authentic.

I'd say 150 euros is a fair price for a 146, if it ticks all your boxes.

Good luck

Thank you for all the replies.
The owner told me he bought this pen around 1990. No repair(s) has been done to this 146.
As CS388 stated this is indeed a EF nib. I therefore asked the owner to send me pictures of the writing. Due to the real fine lining I now am doubting if I want to buy this one. After searching some examples of the different writing with the different nibs, I think I prefer an M or F nib. EF is just too fine.

Even though 150 euros for a MB 146 in used condition is a fairly good price, I am not 100% convinced.

Are there any arguments why I should buy it anyway?

Are there any arguments why I should buy it anyway?

No, not really. The nib is the most important part of the writing experience.

150 euros is a good price, but it's not a super bargain. There are plenty of used 146's out there. I'm sure you'll find one that's suited to you, at a good price.

Good luck

Agreed, the price is fine. But you have to enjoy writing with the pen. If the extra fine nib is too fine a writer for you, then pass on it. A pen like this will last you a lifetime with good care.

When new, Montblanc affixes a small sticker on the barrel noting the nib size. Many collectors leave these on until they, after many years eventually fall off. Other than that there is no way for the average person to tell the nib size of a MB Pen. After looking at quite a few you'll get a feel for it.

Like people, all fountain pens are different, even the same make and model. I have a 146 pen marked fine that writes more like a nice wet medium, and mediums that write more fine. My point here is to ask for a writing sample.

As a general rule, it's a good idea to stop by a pen shop and try a few different nibs so you know which suits your handwriting.

Do your homework, keep looking until you find the right pen for you. It's out there. Keep checking back with what you find.

Below is one of my MB 146's still with its F sticker. I love this pen but as you see writes a little more like a medium....don't think me daft, I've put this pic in upside down and rightside up but this up loader keeps turning it upside down...lol..anyway, you get the idea.

CS388 and Old Salt, thank you for your kind and informative replies :) Much appreciated.

My search for a suitable pen, which is more adapted to my wishes, will continue. I intend to search the internet (online second hand marketplaces here in holland) for a nice pen.

May I be so free as to ask other questions/opening other topics concerning the authenticity of secondhand Montblanc pens, since I am unexperienced in this field?

Greetings!

What you need to understand is that the world of fountain pens is wide, expansive and multifaceted. When anyone on here asks a question, as the thread goes on and more and more people chime in, doesn't matter if it's a neubie or an old hand, we all learn something, some new detail about a brand, ink, nib problems or the best or new way to clean your pen.

This group is full of devoted fountain pen users, collectors, inventors and just generally creative people who share their experiences. When that happens we all benefit.

So you just ask away. This site is full of fountain pen facts and history, you tube has an amazing amount of videos that review pens, ink, take you through filling, repairing, and writing.

Some of us can be kind of crusty at times, (no names..lol..)but don't take it to heart. For every cranky member there are 20 willing to help. Many times we ask hard questions to get you to think. That is, unless we've told you where to research, and you didn't. You seem like a bright guy. Welcome to the group. I look forward to hearing of your experiences.

I still can't understand why this up loader kept putting my pic upside down. May that's a future post.