Durable Edc Pen Opinions/suggestions?

joshua.andrews59

Just how business serious it needs to be? I'd go for a Fisher, the original astronaut looks good enough. And it's also serious looking, if a bit shiny

maxresdefault.jpg

And if you'll happen to hike on the moon, well no problem there: it's certified to write at Zero G!

Sciumbasci,

That is a beautiful pen! It pen doesn't need to scream Executive, but would need to be professional looking. I think this fits that description, I would imagine they would have various color options. Thank you for your help!

VICTRIX FORTUNA SAPIENTIA

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joshua.andrews59

• dkirchge

• Mike 59

• MYU

In no particular order, I use the pens listed below on a near-daily basis. With the exception of the AG7, all can be found for $30 or less.

• Skilcraft B3 Aviator multi-pen (black, red, and 0.5mm pencil; my current favorite and most frequently carried pen)
  • Zebra F-701
  • Parker Jotter (all steel, loaded with a Monteverde soft-roll refill in purple)
  • Fisher bullet pen (with a fine point refill, I don't like the mediums unless it's purple ink)
  • Fisher AG7 space pen (same as above)
  • Field Notes Clic Pen

I went through a phase where I was fixated on fountain pens and high-quality paper, but since most of my writing is meeting notes or calendar entries these days, a quality ballpoint is really all I need.

dkirchge,

Funny enough I had the Skilcraft Aviator Multi-Pen in my sights, I have the regular Skilcraft ballpoints that are very useful. My hesitation is that it is a multi-pen, and fear the mechanism could mess up. Do they offer refills? Thank you for your input!

I don't know of the Skillcraft Aviator pen, but looking at the images, it appears that the refills are of the popular 'D1' type.

These are a half-sized refill made for multi-pens, and are fairly easy to find as they fit many other pens including Filofax planner pens, and Cross multi-pens amongst many others, the colours being limited to black, blue and red, I think.

P.S. Searching for D1 refills, I found that most stockists sell black, blue and red, but Monteverde lists 10 different colours, but I have not tried those so can't comment.

Edited by Mike 59

dkirchge,

Funny enough I had the Skilcraft Aviator Multi-Pen in my sights, I have the regular Skilcraft ballpoints that are very useful. My hesitation is that it is a multi-pen, and fear the mechanism could mess up. Do they offer refills? Thank you for your input!

Yes, you can buy Skilcraft refill sets in either black+red+pencil+erasers or black+blue+pencil+erasers, or use standard D1 refills as Mike pointed out above. I stuck with the Skilcraft because they turned out to be very smooth writers and easily available on Amazon.

I wouldn't worry about the durability of this pen; it may be slender, but it's very well made.

Edited by dkirchge

-- Doug K.

If you're a little concerned about size and really desire durability, you can't go wrong with a rOtring 600. Get a rollerball in black. It'll last you a lifetime. Also, the rollerball has a standard refill so you can use ballpoints instead of you wish.

post-32178-127133821636.jpg

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Hello,

My current endeavor at the moment is finding a pen to carry daily that is durable and of quality. I am aware that sometimes the "tactical pens" and EDC (every day carry) pens are considered synonymous, but in this case might we explore outside of those pens please.

Yes ... not "tactical"! The very word conjures up products from Massdrop that seem to cater to soldiers of fortune or CIA operatives.

Kaweko!

I've noticed that the Parker Frontier has resurfaced as a ball pen. If the Jotteris too slim, then perhaps the Frontier would prove to be a bit more substantial. Certainly the Fountain pen is fine.

In addition - Cult pens has a deal on Caran D'ache - buy an 849 biro and get the mechanical pencil (of similar design) half price.

The slight redesign of the Jotter ballpoint in 2016 makes it worth considering.

All metal barrel plus the new style clip are an improvement I think, plus a modification to the plastic part of the refill, not sure why that has been done though.

All metal barrel plus the new style clip are an improvement I think, plus a modification to the plastic part of the refill, not sure why that has been done though.

Are they made in France?

Yes ... not "tactical"! The very word conjures up products from Massdrop that seem to cater to soldiers of fortune or CIA operatives.

Kaweko!

Funny thing, back in my Army days a "tactical pen" was the cheap Skilcraft ballpoint you grabbed from the supply sergeant. If you were really high-speed, you bought your own Space Pen.

-- Doug K.

This Jotter is the first I've seen in the new range, this is 'Kensington red'.

The bar code (giivng some clue of country of origin) begins '35', and the cap is stamped 'France IIIY'

So that makes sense. I believe these have just appeared in the retailers in the last week, June 2016.

The cartridges and ballpoint refills are also in the new grey packaging.

Edited by Mike 59

Sidetopic:

Wonder how big percentage of people buying a "tactical pen" have any training on how to use a kubotan. Or know if kubotans are even legal to carry in their country.

To some extent that same could be asked from people buying "tactical flashlights", but this isn't flashlight forum, and in small flashlights there just aren't too many models anymore which wouldn't be "tactical".

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

Sidetopic:

Wonder how big percentage of people buying a "tactical pen" have any training on how to use a kubotan. Or know if kubotans are even legal to carry in their country.

To some extent that same could be asked from people buying "tactical flashlights", but this isn't flashlight forum, and in small flashlights there just aren't too many models anymore which wouldn't be "tactical".

+1

Hi,

Not to derail this Topic, but anyone who relies upon a weapon to overcome a threat should train to evaluate a threat and become proficient in the use of that weapon, which will reveal their personal performance envelope and when/if that weapon will be an advantage in a particular situation - sometimes the use of a weapon will create escalation: what started as a scuffle becomes a knife/gun fight.

Choose carefully. False confidence is a great risk.

Be aware that anyone assaulting you is motivated, already on the go, and has likely assaulted other people previously and come out on top; and may have partner/s close by.

Even though I am adept at Judo, I still do sprint ladders, sometimes with a terrier in tow.

Throw the pen (or whatever's to hand) at the offending person to gain that 1/3 of a second, then get out of there - do not engage in hand-to-hand unless the end of days is nigh.

IMHO, one should be proficient in simple unarmed self defence rather than take the time to deploy an iffy improvised weapon - speed is incredibly important. I have inoculated my nieces against unwelcome touching.

I found it passing strange that there are Utube videos on the use of 'tactical' pens for other than writing. Neither the rotring 600 nor the Sheaffer Targa was mentioned. (?)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Sidetopic:

Good question. To me, a tactical pen was one I used in the field... as a pen. To write things down. Sigh. I feel old now.

-- Doug K.

If you're a little concerned about size and really desire durability, you can't go wrong with a rOtring 600. Get a rollerball in black. It'll last you a lifetime. Also, the rollerball has a standard refill so you can use ballpoints instead of you wish.

post-32178-127133821636.jpg

Where can I purchase a Rotring 600? I looked them up and they are well over $100 on most sites. I did see one on Amazon, but customer reviews say the that the cap is cheaply made.

Mike 59,

Those look nice! I'll check them out, thank you. It seems like the same cartridge, but I bet they are making them proprietary so they can push customers to the new parker line.

I suggest a LAMY Safari in a bright, unnatural color . It is easier to find, if you drop it while hiking.

Use it often and improve your handwriting. If work ethic and professionalism, brought to the table, are of adequate quantity, the color of one's pen should not detract. My EDC is a Parker 45.

Sincere apologies. I am assuming fountain pen. Everyone else seems to assume ballpoint pen.

Sooooo, pick up a couple of Jinhao x450 ballpoint pens, for about $2 each. It is a clean, black pen.

Without a magnifier, no one can read "Jinhao" on the cap band. It feels good in the hand. Since the brand of a ballpoint pen is irrelevant to writing performance, this will do nicely. Very high-quality / specialty, expensive refills are available options. (Schmidt and Fisher, etc.)

You can carry two in your brief case to insure unhindered writing. You can slip one into your trail pants, and never worry about losing a $2 pen.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

True, I did assume ballpoint and probably shouldn't have, mostly because I assumed encountering a wide variety of paper. Sasha's recommendation of a Safari is good too if a fountain pen is a viable option. For an EDC fountain pen, I use a Pilot Petit 1: reliable, fun to write with, good nib, and cheap enough to lose without worry.

-- Doug K.

Where can I purchase a Rotring 600? I looked them up and they are well over $100 on most sites. I did see one on Amazon, but customer reviews say the that the cap is cheaply made.

You'd want to look for older examples, with the knurled section, usually on eBay. The caps for rollerball and fountain pen are virtually the same and I've had no trouble with either one. The clutch can get damaged and then the cap will seat loosely, so there may be some complaints about that. But if the pen is not regularly abused then that shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

True, I did assume ballpoint and probably shouldn't have, mostly because I assumed encountering a wide variety of paper. Sasha's recommendation of a Safari is good too if a fountain pen is a viable option. For an EDC fountain pen, I use a Pilot Petit 1: reliable, fun to write with, good nib, and cheap enough to lose without worry.

I too would assume a ballpoint / rollerball / what-have-you. This thread is in the "It writes, but isn't a fountain pen" section after all.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)