Durable Edc Pen Opinions/suggestions?

joshua.andrews59

Hello,

My current endeavor at the moment is finding a pen to carry daily that is durable and of quality. I am aware that sometimes the "tactical pens" and EDC (every day carry) pens are considered synonymous, but in this case might we explore outside of those pens please.

I frequent professional meetings, but am also an avid hiker that likes to write outdoors. If you can help me by suggesting a pen that can fit the profile of both professional and sturdy I will be quite thankful.

VICTRIX FORTUNA SAPIENTIA

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joshua.andrews59

• dkirchge

• Mike 59

• MYU

Well, if it's a ballpoint you want, I've found the humble Parker Jotter as a rather good EDC - the Parker 45 flighter is also good. Another EDC favourite is the Caran D'Ache 849. The plastic Jotters crack over time, but you can get an all metal version which will last longer. If you want some fancier colours Schneider makes a range of G2 refills

The reason I've got more than one is I just slip them into a jacket pocket and it's there.

Hi,

In general terms I look to c/c pens that have metal barrel and cap, and both the section and barrel threads are metal. (I do not adore Heavy Metal music.)

I use these FPs, so Reckon their BP/RB mutations deserve a shufti:

> Parker Sonnet

> Pelikan P99 Technixx

> rotring 600 (Despite being an ergonomic challenge)

> Sheaffer Targa

> Waterman Carene

The many cap+barrel designs of the Sonnet, Carene and Targa may offer a happy medium between field use and the Conference Room

I've also used a Sheaffer 444, Parker 21 Super Flighter and Pilot Prera when a more compact pen that likes to be posted is desired. (Beach bag pens.)

A Parker Jotter of your choice with a Fisher Space Pen refill seems yet another worthy option.

As ever, I look forward to other Member's suggestions.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I really like the Zebra Expandz telescopic pens. They fairly inexpensive I got mine (the Champagne one) for about £4 and they feel really solid and well made too. They also are about the size of a credit card when in there small form so can fit in a tri or bi-fold wallet which is handy. I was initially thinking about buying one of the Fisher space pens or the Diplomat equivalent however am happy enough with the Zebra so probably won't buy one. As they are made from lacquered metal I don't the finish will be all that durable however as they are relatively inexpensive so this doesn't bother me. However mine doesn't show any damage after a month of use.

http://www.tigerpens.co.uk/prodzoomimg10959.jpg

http://www.tigerpens.co.uk/prodzoomimg10958.jpg

Edited by The Blue Knight

Check out the Kaweco range, especially the Sport in aluminium but all are very durable and pretty reasonable for work. There are plenty of threads testifying to it's ability to deal with the outdoors.

What's your price range from min to max? That means everything.

There are some great writers out there that are very affordable, and thus it's no problem if you lose them. Or do you prefer higher quality and more expensive pens, because you're good at not losing them?

Lastly, any aesthetic requirements? Does weight matter?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Well, if it's a ballpoint you want, I've found the humble Parker Jotter as a rather good EDC - the Parker 45 flighter is also good. Another EDC favourite is the Caran D'Ache 849. The plastic Jotters crack over time, but you can get an all metal version which will last longer. If you want some fancier colours Schneider makes a range of G2 refills

The reason I've got more than one is I just slip them into a jacket pocket and it's there.

Sandy101,

Thank you for your input, I like the Caran D'Ache 849 looks really durable!

What's your price range from min to max? That means everything.

There are some great writers out there that are very affordable, and thus it's no problem if you lose them. Or do you prefer higher quality and more expensive pens, because you're good at not losing them?

Lastly, any aesthetic requirements? Does weight matter?

My absolute maximum would be $60. I am pretty good at not losing them, but my concern is that I have dropped a few of my pens that have dented pretty easily so I favor durability too.

Hi,

In general terms I look to c/c pens that have metal barrel and cap, and both the section and barrel threads are metal. (I do not adore Heavy Metal music.)

I use these FPs, so Reckon their BP/RB mutations deserve a shufti:

> Parker Sonnet

> Pelikan P99 Technixx

> rotring 600 (Despite being an ergonomic challenge)

> Sheaffer Targa

> Waterman Carene

The many cap+barrel designs of the Sonnet, Carene and Targa may offer a happy medium between field use and the Conference Room

I've also used a Sheaffer 444, Parker 21 Super Flighter and Pilot Prera when a more compact pen that likes to be posted is desired. (Beach bag pens.)

A Parker Jotter of your choice with a Fisher Space Pen refill seems yet another worthy option.

As ever, I look forward to other Member's suggestions.

Bye,

S1

Sandy1,

You have great taste, I too enjoy the full metal-bodied pen appeal; however, heavy metal music is sometimes a must.

I will check out your suggestions, thank you!

-Joshua Andrews

I really like the Zebra Expandz telescopic pens. They fairly inexpensive I got mine (the Champagne one) for about £4 and they feel really solid and well made too. They also are about the size of a credit card when in there small form so can fit in a tri or bi-fold wallet which is handy. I was initially thinking about buying one of the Fisher space pens or the Diplomat equivalent however am happy enough with the Zebra so probably won't buy one. As they are made from lacquered metal I don't the finish will be all that durable however as they are relatively inexpensive so this doesn't bother me. However mine doesn't show any damage after a month of use.

http://www.tigerpens.co.uk/prodzoomimg10959.jpg

http://www.tigerpens.co.uk/prodzoomimg10958.jpg

The Blue Knight,

You have made excellent suggestions, I looked into these telescopic pens and might buy a few. Zebra actually has quite a variety of durable pens. Thank you for your input, it helped.

-Joshua Andrews

Like Sandy mentioned, a Parker Sonnet could be an answer. However, at least in CT flighter the chromed crown does wear.

I third Kaweco Sports, but would recommend passing the plastic classic sports.

Edit: I don't own a Sport ballpoint, but I do own a classic sport rollerball. Why? It has a cap, and can use any Parker G2-style refill.

Edited by aeba

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

Hi, I am also assuming a ballpoint design in this case.

Of the pens I've tried, the Parker Jotter is a slim reliable pen, and the new 2016 range is just out now (May/June) which has a new range of colours, a new design of clip, and is in a new grey design box. I believe these are all metal and priced in the UK at £14.

In the Parker range, the 'I.M' is all metal and is made in at least four different colurs, a hard wearing design, I have several.

Similar designs to the Jotter are the Waterman Hemishpere, and the Sheaffer VFM, ( a surprisingly well made pen, at a low price of £12.) In the Sheaffer range I also like the design of the 500, especially the black with gold trim version.

In my photo, top to bottom are; Parker Jotter, Waterman Hemisphere, Sheaffer VFM, Parker I.M. and Cross Stratford.

Edited by Mike 59

I have two EDC ballpoints:

A turquoise blue Parker Jotter with a Fisher Space Pen refill. Nice size to fit in a shirt pocket (next to my Pilot Decimo) or in a planner and the Fisher refill is very dependable to write in any weather conditions.

And a black Retro 51 Tornado Touch, metal body, small size and has a conductive rubber stylus. Find the stylus invaluable when having to type on my smartphone or tablet. I keep it attached to an Apica CD5N notebook worn in a trouser pocket.

My wife's EDC ballpoints are a red Parker Sonnet with a Fisher Space Pen refill and a Retro 51 Deluxe "Calico".

Edited by Tasmith

I'll second a Jotter. Although they're a bit thin for my hand, the stainless steel jotters are as close to bulletproof as you can get, they're reasonably priced (and used ones are easily found), and not only is the ink in the "Quinkflow" refills an improvement over the old formula, several other companies make good refills (Fisher pressurized, Monteverde. Schneider...)

In no particular order, I use the pens listed below on a near-daily basis. With the exception of the AG7, all can be found for $30 or less.

• Skilcraft B3 Aviator multi-pen (black, red, and 0.5mm pencil; my current favorite and most frequently carried pen)
  • Zebra F-701
  • Parker Jotter (all steel, loaded with a Monteverde soft-roll refill in purple)
  • Fisher bullet pen (with a fine point refill, I don't like the mediums unless it's purple ink)
  • Fisher AG7 space pen (same as above)
  • Field Notes Clic Pen

I went through a phase where I was fixated on fountain pens and high-quality paper, but since most of my writing is meeting notes or calendar entries these days, a quality ballpoint is really all I need.

-- Doug K.

Just how business serious it needs to be? I'd go for a Fisher, the original astronaut looks good enough. And it's also serious looking, if a bit shiny

maxresdefault.jpg

And if you'll happen to hike on the moon, well no problem there: it's certified to write at Zero G!

Edited by sciumbasci

Parker Jotter is a good pen, but narrow. I would look for a Parker Vector Flighter. A bit more volume and very sturdy.

Still to be had in many shops and probably also on Amazon.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Hi, I am also assuming a ballpoint design in this case.

Of the pens I've tried, the Parker Jotter is a slim reliable pen, and the new 2016 range is just out now (May/June) which has a new range of colours, a new design of clip, and is in a new grey design box. I believe these are all metal and priced in the UK at £14.

In the Parker range, the 'I.M' is all metal and is made in at least four different colurs, a hard wearing design, I have several.

Similar designs to the Jotter are the Waterman Hemishpere, and the Sheaffer VFM, ( a surprisingly well made pen, at a low price of £12.) In the Sheaffer range I also like the design of the 500, especially the black with gold trim version.

In my photo, top to bottom are; Parker Jotter, Waterman Hemisphere, Sheaffer VFM, Parker I.M. and Cross Stratford.

Mike 59,

Thank you for your suggestions, I like the parker jotter, but it does feel slim in the hands. How do you like the I.M.? The Waterman Hemisphere is nice, might pick one up just in general.

Parker Jotter is a good pen, but narrow. I would look for a Parker Vector Flighter. A bit more volume and very sturdy.

Still to be had in many shops and probably also on Amazon.

D.ick

RMN,

Thank you for your suggestions, I agree that while the Parker Jotter is nice, it is very slim in the hands. Looking at the Parker Vector Flighter and will more than likely pick this one to try out.