Ink Review : Pelikan Edelstein Topaz

namrehsnoom

Ink Review : Pelikan Edelstein Topaz

fpn_1464985440__pelikan_edelstein_-_topa

Pen: Pelikan M120 Green-Black Special Edition, F-nib

Paper: Rhodia N°16 notepad 80 gsm

fpn_1464985458__pelikan_edelstein_-_topa

Review

In 2011 Pelikan introduced the Edelstein series of boutique inks, available in a variety of colors. The theme of the Edelstein concept is the gemstone - each color corresponds to the beautiful color of a gem. The inks themselves are presented in 50ml high-value bottles, which are truly beautiful, and worthy of a place on your desk.

fpn_1464985471__pelikan_edelstein_-_topa

Here I review the color Topaz - a really nice cerulean blue, which reflects the color of a morning-sky. This truly is a stunning color, similar to iroshizuku kon-peki, albeit a tad lighter in color. I'm in love with this ink - it's a happy color, which gives me a vacation-like feeling. It's a true light-blue ink, which clearly shows in the chromatography. It seems to be a single-component dye.

fpn_1464985488__pelikan_edelstein_-_topa

Topaz exhibits some really nice shading - but the shading remains subtle, resulting in a pleasing and highly aesthetic look. Love it ! The ink is - in my opinion - a bit too dry for an EF nib, but looks and writes great in F, M and B. The ink is a bit too exotic for the workplace, but great for journaling and especially so for drawing and doodling - just look at my starry friend in the handwritten review below ... that's a happy topaz fellow ;-)

Topaz is a well-behaving ink on a variety of paper - even on cheaper paper like Moleskine or regular notepad paper. The ink is smudge-resistant, but I wouldn't call it water-resistant. With a good soak, almost all of that lovely color disappears, but a perfectly readable residue remains (even after 30 seconds of running tap water). Not really visible in the scan, but you can trust me on this - you will be able to reconstruct your precious writing.

• Rhodia N°16 notepad 80 gsm - drying time ~20 seconds, no feathering, no show-through nor bleed-through
  • Paperblanks journal paper - drying time ~10 seconds, no feathering, no show-through and no bleed-through. The color looks really beautiful on this ivory paper
  • Generic notepad paper 70 gsm - drying time 5-10 seconds, no feathering, some show-through and bleed-through
  • Moleskine journal - drying time ~5 seconds ! No visible feathering, very prominent show-through and bleed-through

This ink dries superfast on cheaper paper - that's probably why there is no feathering visible... the ink is just drying too fast for it to spread. Very good behavior on the cheap paper - just use one side only due to the significant show- and bleed-through. And even though it dries superfast, this doesn't seem to affect the writing experience, which remains smooth. The ink is really well lubricated.

Conclusion

Pelikan Edelstein Topaz is a definite winner. A stunning color, nice shading, and good behavior on a wide range of paper. Suggestion - try this ink on a more yellowish paper... pure loveliness ! If you don't own a bottle, I just have one word of advice: buy one now, you won't regret it.

my overall score: A+

fpn_1464985502__pelikan_edelstein_-_topa

fpn_1464985519__pelikan_edelstein_-_topa

fpn_1464985536__pelikan_edelstein_-_topa

fpn_1464985550__pelikan_edelstein_-_topa

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carlos.q

• visvamitra

• lgsoltek

• namrehsnoom

Great review!

I am more in the Aquamarine ink (another of your reviews that was just perfect), and you just made me think Topaz would also look great in TWSBI, for morning dailiy To-do lists updating. Might brighten them up... especially on grumpy Mondays.

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Very nice review. One of my favorite inks. Thanks for taking the time out to do such a thorough job.

Edelstein Topaz is really similar in color to Diamine Havusu Turquoise, which is less expensive. That being said, I'm still leaning more towards getting a full bottle of Topaz. (Oh, and I got a *lot* more shading with my sample than namrehsnoom did).

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review ; I agree , this is a wonderful ink . Waterman South Seas Blue used to be a favourite of mine but Topaz gets more use now : I prefer the bluer shade of Topaz . Also concur that the ink bottle is a lovely desk ornament ; I often catch clients looking at it .

Edelstein Topaz is really similar in color to Diamine Havusu Turquoise, which is less expensive. That being said, I'm still leaning more towards getting a full bottle of Topaz. (Oh, and I got a *lot* more shading with my sample than namrehsnoom did).

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I agree. I love the Topaz. I've tried a sample of it. But I think I'm going with the cheaper Diamine-Havasu Turquoise. By the time I can afford more ink, there probably won't be any Topaz left anyway. I have tried quite a few turquoise inks. I can't say there was ONE that I didn't like.

Your review convinced me to get off my sweet spot and get a bottle tout de suite. ​A lovely calming color that reminds me of a perfect summer day. Thank you.