Review Of Fosfor Rajendran (Aka Desi Kop) With Jowo #8 Gold Nib

Prithwijit

ohhh...what should I say...I am stunned, I am overwhelmed...the look, the design, the material, the craftsmanship...every part of it is stunning...congrats Prithwi..enjoy..

Sagar Bhowmick

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prithwijit

• sannidh

• flummoxed

• gudasrinivas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amazing pen and review, and lovely pics, as usual. I'm glad my humble KOP played a small part in your purchase and design decision and process.

However, I stand by my earlier suggestion to you - You should get the KOP. Maybe in Urushi and with a specialty nib that suits your writing style. Mind you, that might entail trying out a few specialty nibs till you find one that suits your writing style.

Cheers

Sudhir

Dear Sudhir,

You have been a great gentleman and a wonderful enabler for me. I don't know of many people who would carry five very expensive pens on a journey of over 1400 km just so that a simpleton like myself can experience them. Thank you so much for the gracious gesture.

Had it not been for you, I might have just got a normal KOP and then suffered from severe buyer's remorse. Thanks to you, that misstep on my part has been avoided.

As I mentioned in my review, I am still open to a KOP with one of the specialty nibs but only after trying them out in person. Given the complete unavailability of such pens on any retails tore in India, it seems a bit far fetched though. Urushi coating on the other hand is something I am unlikely to splurge on right now, at least not till the time I get the Indian lacquer coated pen completed.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Dada...

Every pen of yours has a story...

And what I like about this one is.. The extent you went for procuring the stuff..

Some may like the pen or not what matters is how much you love your pen.. Its like your own baby...

But yeah how wonderful it would have been if you could have landed the Sailor speciality nibs also..

And we share the same opinion standard Sailor nibs are not for us.. They are scratchy...

Yeah please do share writing sample no matter what you think of your handwriting..

Thank you again for fabulous review..

Now m after subbu's life for #8 nib

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

This is stunning.....loved it man...beautiful pen. :)

"Friendship is the purest love. It is the highest form of Love where nothing is asked for, no condition, where one simply enjoys giving.”
- Osho

Thanks for sharing the amazing pen & a befitting review with us :)

The ebonite hues reveal much depth than the pictures probably show and I do agree this should be a joy to use. Just curious on how much weight does the pen have, if you have a scale or something? Just my guess, it should be 8-12 gms lighter than a KOP-ebonite because of ebonite threads instead of metal ones. Can it be used as an ED?

One small quibble I have with both the KOP & this beautiful pen is the lack of proper filling system for oversize nibs. Personally, for me converter is acceptable till #5, but when its #8 nib it truly deserves a piston, plunger or something like a ink-sac. When the ink runs at half levels in the converter, the system just fails to have a good air pressure inside, so ink-flow is affected. I have this experience in sailor converters rather than pilot(has a roller inside :P).

Only if comfortable, can you also give a ballpark cost breakup for the pen for a. nib+blank+ making charges for common benefit?

Regards,

Sonik

Edited by sannidh

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

Prithwijit,

The Rajendran is one spectacular king of a pen. When you conceive and commission a project, you do it with Big Capital Letters. Absolutely uncompromising design concept and execution, and a successfully courageous bet on improving the already well-respected King of Pen. The initials "PC" join the Medici round balls and the bees of the Barberini as symbols of the pinnacle of creative patronage. I am hard-pressed to name anyone coming up with better ideas for pens and actually sticking with the painstaking process of nailing down all the details. The ebonite material is exquisite. We salute you.

You could easily one-up the Montblanc 149 or the Hemingway, but I fear it would be too easy. My hope? A series of pens based on global leaders born in India. Let's start the nomination process!

Hi Bob,

Thanks for dropping by. Reading your comments is always an enriching experience. For instance, I learnt about the "Barberini coat of arms" today and the history behind it is indeed quite fascinating.

To be honest I did not start with any intention of bettering or doing any one-upmanship on the Sailor KOP. The intent was to get a KOP with a nib that I would be happy with. Of course once you go custom, you can are free to do small tweaks that suit you. I am under no illusion that this is a better or comparable pen than KOP. What I know is that this is a large cigar shaped pen that suits my likes and I am enjoying writing with it.

MB pens are typically made using injection moulding and I don't think that is possible with custom pens. Nor would it be my intention to replicate them. I love my MBs and while I do not put them on any pedestal, I appreciate how they have cultured an aura around the white star and how universally well known it is.

I like your Idea of pens designed after great legends. But my current interest is slightly different and maybe once those creative urges are satisfied, I will get back to designing pens after legends.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Edited by Prithwijit

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Thank you EoC and Setriode,

Now that one pen has been made, I am sure you can approach Fosfor with a reference to this pen and he will gladly make you more.Infact, I myself have commissioned another using the woodgrain material from Vince Coates.

Regards,

Prithwijit

I would love to but I am not very good at communicating ideas. That of course is in the unlikely event that I have an idea!

ohhh...what should I say...I am stunned, I am overwhelmed...the look, the design, the material, the craftsmanship...every part of it is stunning...congrats Prithwi..enjoy..

Dada...

Every pen of yours has a story...

And what I like about this one is.. The extent you went for procuring the stuff..

Some may like the pen or not what matters is how much you love your pen.. Its like your own baby...

But yeah how wonderful it would have been if you could have landed the Sailor speciality nibs also..

And we share the same opinion standard Sailor nibs are not for us.. They are scratchy...

Yeah please do share writing sample no matter what you think of your handwriting..

Thank you again for fabulous review..

Now m after subbu's life for #8 nib

Hi Sagar and Vaibhav,

I am glad to hear that you guys liked the pens. Too bad that Sailor specialty nibs are so difficult to try out in India. I wish we could combine a few of those nibs with interesting materials to make pens of our owns.

Regards,

Prithwijit

I would love to but I am not very good at communicating ideas. That of course is in the unlikely event that I have an idea!

Hi EoC,

Your statement is the sheer embodiment of humility and that is great by our eastern ethos. But in-case you are truly serious, drop a note to Manoj asking for a Rajendran with the woodgrain ebonite that he has in stock. He may be able to get you what you want.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Thanks for sharing the amazing pen & a befitting review with us :)

The ebonite hues reveal much depth than the pictures probably show and I do agree this should be a joy to use. Just curious on how much weight does the pen have, if you have a scale or something? Just my guess, it should be 8-12 gms lighter than a KOP-ebonite because of ebonite threads instead of metal ones. Can it be used as an ED?

One small quibble I have with both the KOP & this beautiful pen is the lack of proper filling system for oversize nibs. Personally, for me converter is acceptable till #5, but when its #8 nib it truly deserves a piston, plunger or something like a ink-sac. When the ink runs at half levels in the converter, the system just fails to have a good air pressure inside, so ink-flow is affected. I have this experience in sailor converters rather than pilot(has a roller inside :P).

Only if comfortable, can you also give a ballpark cost breakup for the pen for a. nib+blank+ making charges for common benefit?

Regards,

Sonik

Hi Sonik,

Unfortunately I do not possess a scale that can accurately measure the weight of any pens and hence I cannot help with that specific query. It does feel substantially lighter than a Jinhao 159 or ASA Galactic but not sure if that information helps.

I am not an ED user myself but theoretically nothing stops us from using this pen as an eyedropper since there are no metal tenons inside.

Interesting tidbit about air pressure there. I haven't really experienced anything of the sort you mentioned and I have been using Waterman long cartridges. Nevertheless, i will be on the lookout for such symptoms. Is it possible to retrofit those small roller balls into Schmidt or other converters? If so, can you kindly advise how one can proceed with that.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Edited by Prithwijit

Prithvijit,

Each time I read your pen reviews and marvel at your creativity, you come with another masterpiece better than the previous.

Congratulations for producing another masterpiece!!!

Regards

Srinivas

Regards

Srinivas

Hi Sonik,

Unfortunately I do not possess a scale that can accurately measure the weight of any pens and hence I cannot help with that specific query. It does feel substantially lighter than a Jinhao 159 or ASA Galactic but not sure if that information helps.

I am not an ED user myself but theoretically nothing stops us from using this pen as an eyedropper since there are no metal tenons inside.

Interesting tidbit about air pressure there. I haven't really experienced anything of the sort you mentioned and I have been using Waterman long cartridges. Nevertheless, i will be on the lookout for such symptoms. Is it possible to retrofit those small roller balls into Schmidt or other converters? If so, can you kindly advise how one can proceed with that.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Not sure if I can recall the weight of the galactic correctly. But I get the idea. Meanwhile, Nakaya has updated the section threads for some of their pens to metallic ones, to add some 8 g to the unposted weight.

IME, air pressure + surface tension thing affects flow of inks which are more viscous (but well-shading :P) than say a waterman/iroshizuku - take sailor/mb/visconti. Guess most converters (sailor below) would open from the piston end-metal sleeve and if you could drop in a couple of ball (for bearings), that would do..Downside is that, at the same time it takes up volume & might kill the converter capacity further.

But Congrats again for the lovely pen, "Rajendran" :thumbup: ..was thinking, could name the Emperor version "Gajendran" :D

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/IMG_4544_zpsm52qlaos.jpg

Edited by sannidh

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

This is stunning.....loved it man...beautiful pen. :)

Thank you Jay. Much appreciated.

What a beautiful pen! Congratulations.

Glad you liked in spolygon. I am loving it to bits.

Prithvijit,

Each time I read your pen reviews and marvel at your creativity, you come with another masterpiece better than the previous.

Congratulations for producing another masterpiece!!!

Regards

Srinivas

Thank you Srinivas,

Have you received your CS blanks yet ? What colours did you opt for.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Not sure if I can recall the weight of the galactic correctly. But I get the idea. Meanwhile, Nakaya has updated the section threads for some of their pens to metallic ones, to add some 8 g to the unposted weight.

IME, air pressure + surface tension thing affects flow of inks which are more viscous (but well-shading :P) than say a waterman/iroshizuku - take sailor/mb/visconti. Guess most converters (sailor below) would open from the piston end-metal sleeve and if you could drop in a couple of ball (for bearings), that would do..Downside is that, at the same time it takes up volume & might kill the converter capacity further.

But Congrats again for the lovely pen, "Rajendran" :thumbup: ..was thinking, could name the Emperor version "Gajendran" :D

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/IMG_4544_zpsm52qlaos.jpg

Hi Sonik,

Thanks for the tip. Now how do we get those tiny balls or pellets? I have no qualms about loosing even more converter capacity :)

Shouldn't emperor be called "Samrat"? ASA already has pen with this model name - created again on my insistence. It is basically the ebonite version of the Popsicle.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Amazing effort! The result speaks, I am with you for a customised manufacture over an overpiced over the counter purchase. I had great experience with Fosfor for my custom sandle wood pen.

pbhat

Dear Prithwijit,

Congratulations on this lovely journey. It is truly amazing to work with Manoj to buy a Fosfor pen and your effort to create a custom pen with him as resulted in this lovely creation. I've been following a few of your other posts and bespoke creations with Indian pen turners and it has always been a joy to see the end results. The customization on the nibs adds a special touch to the pens.

A few quick questions though,

- Would it be possible to post a writing sample? You do mention it is a JoWo unit, but did the custom engraving modify/interfere at all with the ink flow? I'm guessing the engraving wasn't deep enough for that to happen.
- You seem have to bought a few of these blanks to create almost one from each of the Indian pen turners active here on FPN. Was shipping to India hassle free? Do you have any more of the spare ebonite blanks?
- Would you kindly post a picture of all your bespoke pens together? I'd love to see them all lined up together.

Thanks,

Flummoxed

Wow, that's a stunning execution of a fantastic design! I had contacted Manoj a while back about making something like this (KOP based design) but did not end up placing an order for it due to several reasons (my laziness, impatience, tardiness in arranging funds etc. I tend to keep my pen budget constant and rotate pens when I have to buy new, more desirable ones). Now I have a good idea of what the pen would have looked like if I had followed through with it. I'm sure Manoj will be very busy for the next few months from now :D

Thank you Jay. Much appreciated.

Glad you liked in spolygon. I am loving it to bits.

Thank you Srinivas,

Have you received your CS blanks yet ? What colours did you opt for.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Prithwijit,

I received three pen blanks last month and have ordered six more. I am now deciding on which pens to make from these blanks.

Regards

Srinivas

Regards

Srinivas