S T Dupont Elysse Why?

sandy101

I've come into a small (not life changing amount of money through a small inheritance.

One of muy immediate thoughts was to go for a Mont Blanc pen, however some people on this forum say that S T Dupont's nibs are as good, or if not are better - and at the moment the medium Elysse is being ioffered at a £100 discount in the UK - which brings th eprice down to just less than £300.

So, my question is, what exactly am I going to get for £300?

I love my Parson's Essential from Mr Pen, as metal pens seem to sit better in my hnds than the Japanese resin ones that I have.

Unfortunately the nearest shop is miles away, so to try it out is going to be a bit of a trip.

So, my question is, is it worthwhile to go for a nearly £300 pen? it is likely to be the only one at this price that I ever will be able to get, but I'm not necessarily in a desperate hurry to buy today.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sandy101

• jar

• Ecriveur

• flipper_gv

Only you could possibly answer the question of whether or not some effort and expense is worthwhile, but I can tell you about my experience with ST Dupont pens.

I currently own a little over two dozen ST Dupont pens. What I have found is that each one exemplifies ST Dupont's attention to detail regardless of whether it would show or be seen by the average user. Parts are precise, materials exceptional, finishes as close to perfect as I have found on any pens from any companies.

I also have a similar number of Montblanc fountain pens and the ST Duponts get far more pocket time than the Montblancs.

However, these days there are a few other pens I find get even more use than either of those, and those are my Nakayas, Danitrios, older Auroras, Montegrappas, Ferrari da Vareses and Yard-o-Leds.

My Website

Most Dupont's are metal and C/C filler making them almost unbreakable. Something to consider.

I know nothing about Dupont pens and don't own a single one, but the pictures I've seen of a few of them are awfully good looking.

I have two DuPonts, a Diamond Head and a Defi. The Defi has the smoothest writing nib I ever used and I have 50 pens inked including 4 MBs. More people will recognize the MBs over the DuPonts but is that important to you?

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

I had an opportunity to visit "the pen shop" a while back, who carry pens from all the usual suspects. Montblanc, Montegrappa, Waterman, Parker, Pelikan, cross, the lot.

I tried a few, and later on when reliving my visit and all of the magnificent pens on display, I realised that there was 1 pen that stood head and shoulders above all others, and that was the ST Dupont Elysee.

It was absolutely stunning, even compared to pens costing many, many times more.

Do I want one?

Silly question.

Ian

Thank you to everyone for their replies. The brand is not as important - but the weight of the pen is. From my experience, the resin pens I have get less use than the metal ones. The resin is too light for my hand. I've noticed that thise that have S T Dupont pens praise them over Mont Blanc, and I suspect that the Mont Blanc resin pens will not sit as well in my hand as the all metal Dupont's.

I think I should probably invest a bit of time and take a trip to a pen shop and try them out.

I own several of both. I find both Montblanc and ST Dupont produce a high-quality product.

I was very disappointed when Dupont moved away from Chinese Lacquer, but their return has produced hope.

Generally I prefer the mainline Dupont--particularly when priced right--as a better value. I avoid both brands for special edition pens as the are overpriced--Montblanc more so IMHO. However, right now I'm in the hunt for a MB Rouge et Noir Coral.

Montblanc

Advantages

Piston Fillers

Wide Variety of Factory Nibs

Somewhat more line variation from nibs

Understated, classic design

Disadvantages

Price

Timeliness of repairs/parts replacements

Expensive

Ridiculous marketing (precious resin)

Requirement for proprietary tools to work on the pens

Difficult to completely clean

Did I mention price?

ST Dupont

Advantages

Attention to detail

The click when I close the cap

Highest quality nibs

Chinese Lacquer finish (on some models)

Disadvantages

Limited Nib selection (F/M/B only)

Some collectors models are stylistically over the top (and unaffordable)

Cartridge converter only

Metal sections

Somewhat overpriced